Tom Petty doing Superbowl halftime

Oct 13, 2004
Westchester, NY
Shouldn't be too surprised. It's nice and safe. And nobody's gonna pull a tit out on his stage. He'll play American Girl, I Won't Back Down, and Freefallin and it'll be all fine and dandy. I like Tom Petty........ a lot actually. But ugh, nobody relevant? I don't know if Jack Skellington is really gonna pump up football fans.

At least it's not Soulja Boy, who I was thinking was going to do it this year.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Tom Petty sucks and so does the super bowl.

I haven't watched a super bowl in years, and I don't plan to again till they make the super bowl about the football and not the gay fucking commercials or the even gayer halftime show.

Stop playing the super bowl in domed stadiums only, play it outdoors in the shitty winter weather like it used to be. Play it at the teams stadium who had the overall best record or if the records are tied, then do it at the city who's team scored the most points during the season. And don't try telling me that they can't ensure the security or safety of the players or fans at the stadium, they do it for the world series and the stanley cup.

And yes Tom Petty really does suck.

LilJimmiesMule

Fuck you, and Fuck your family...
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Minnesota Pest
^^^ I agree. put all the cites name into a big shit hat and just draw one. Enough of this negotiating with cities on who will fork out the most cash. Its a fuckin football game, not a convention.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
The Superbowl should be played in the Stadium of the team with the best record in the SB. As far as the half time show. Just do away with it already. No one cares. Although more people would listen to Tom Petty who are football fans then some of the stuff they've gotten before. The College bowl games are just as bad. I don't know how many college footbal fans are listening to Ashley Simpson. Ick.

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
Who cares? Won't we all be in the bathroom or outside smoking anyway?

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
I never watch the halftime bullshit...my team has been there more often than not recently and I really don't even like the whole "vibe" of the game---it's just not what football is,,,the whole thing is like a big vegas show, everything from the commentators to the pregame show and halftime show,,,allong with all the fans that attend these huge games...a lot of the people there won tickets or they were offered as buisness incentives,,,,Not too many realy fans there,,,in addition way too many people who don't know the first fucking thing about the game or the teams playing try to talk about it and it fucking kills me ARRRGGGG.

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
a lot of the people there won tickets or they were offered as buisness incentives,,,,Not too many realy fans there,,,
It's all corporate. The average football fan like you and me will NOT be at the Super Bowl. It's sickening.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I could not care less about the halftime show, but whenever I go to a Suprtbowl party their are always some people there who care more about that than they do the actual game. So I guess I see the point.

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Oct 4, 2004
They are working on George Harrison for 2009 and Harry Chapin for 2010. Kraft Foods(Jello) and Volkswagen will respectively sponsor halftime.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
I never watch the halftime bullshit...my team has been there more often than not recently and I really don't even like the whole "vibe" of the game---it's just not what football is,,,the whole thing is like a big vegas show, everything from the commentators to the pregame show and halftime show,,,allong with all the fans that attend these huge games...a lot of the people there won tickets or they were offered as buisness incentives,,,,Not too many realy fans there,,,in addition way too many people who don't know the first fucking thing about the game or the teams playing try to talk about it and it fucking kills me ARRRGGGG.

Boy is this spot on. The Super Bowl is just becoming one sickening display with a football game on the backburner. It really amazes me especially the way its covered....SUPER BOWL PRE GAME SHOW at 10AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really? We get to sit through FOX/CBS/NBC whoever has it recap each teams road to the game and then they pick out somebody on each team and gives you the whole SOB story about how this guy came out of the slums and made his dream come true, or someone taking the time to toss a football with retards thats doing something great in the community they're from. Ughh.

Then leading up to the goddamn kickoff is just frustrating in itself. You then have some goddamn Asshole come out and butcher the National Anthem by singing their version that they think is going to be the next greatest thing. Then you have the 45 Minute COIN TOSS brought you by GM or some company peddling some shit. Its just a big charade now. Then finally as of late you get the kick off and the AFC routs the NFC and in between you have those stupid ass commercials. I'm throwing a party this year and I'm fucking DVRing the commercials out to piss off everyone.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
the conference championship games
are usually much better

but i'm sure they'll get around
to fucking them up soon

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I like Tom Petty. And I'll watch probably.
Excuse me while I whip this [Rant] out...
Thank God I'm not the only Tom Petty fan in here yet. Considering I've been a Petty fan longer than Fleaman's been alive, I don't really like the fact that Petty got picked to do the Superbowl, I LOOOOVVE it! about time he got a little respect!

Who would you guys rather see perform, some American Idol contestant (or worse) like they do every year during Fox's telecast of the MLB playoffs and World Series?

Logistically it can NEVER be held in the team with the best record's stadium which is a GOOD thing if you're a football fan. The reason they can't is because the NFL, and especially the Superbowl, is bigger than than the World Series, Stanley Cup, or NBA Finals. Besides not being as popular as the NFL, those championships are spread out over 7 games and two weeks.

Can you imagine how that would affect the economies of the cities that have the best chance to make the Superbowl? You'd have hundreds of thousands of people in up to a dozen cities trying to make reservations for their team, which would tie up reservation systems from restaurants to hotels to airlines. Plus a lot of people need more than 2 weeks or months notice to get the time off of work.

Personally I think it's ok as it is. That's why Superbowl parties with your buddies are so great. If it was all about the game, you wouldn't know that your special wing recipe wasn't the big hit you thought it would be and the next day at work you wouldn't get razzed about it. L;)L

And yes I know, everybody's all pissed that they're taking the football out of the Superbowl just like they're taking Christ out of Christmas...yeah, yeah, WE GET IT! This is 2007. If you haven't realized that Corporate America is running the country, you're pretty naive. [/Rant]

Edit: Almost forgot the "maaaaannnn" at the end of that last paragraph.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Tom Petty might have been fine in the 1985 Bears/Pats SB, but 2007? Not so much.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Whatever. The NFL knows that a lot of their audience is older white people so they're not gonna throw some young rapper or artist in there. Would you rather it be some emo fag group or Michael Vick lookalike?

I've come to terms with the fact that the Super Bowl is a corporate event now, so I just don't let stuff like this bother me. Besides, halftime is for quarters or flip cup.

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
I agree with Norton...

i also dont watch the halftime ever...usually my friends and i play a pick-up game during halftime anyway...we are usually all hammered and ready to fight each other so a friendly game of football always helps...

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Tom Petty is a cunt and the Superbowl is an over hyped and underachieving waste of time. The Pro Bowl is more fun to watch

cknight725

Wackbag Biblical Scholar
Sep 9, 2005
Albuq., NM
This just in -- Fleetwood Mac, Stryper, and Captain & Tenille will reunite for the 2nd stage ...

HOLY IRRELEVENT DRECK!!! But at least its not Janet Jackson's malformed fucking nipple getting tweaked by a screaming queer....