Tooling around with my 2010 Tacoma...

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Sharing...
So I have a 2010 Tacoma with about 160K on it, all New England salty roads...the corrosion on this thing is insane...So I needed a new wheel bearings, new brake pads and rotors and calipers...
The dealership wanted....$700 per wheel for the wheel bearings, $400 per wheel for the calipers and then $250 for the rotors and pads...and then Labor, fluids etc it was about $3000 just for the parts!!!....So I said WTF..Hit the internet and bought some more tools and said let's give this a shot...

First of all you can't believe the rust on this truck...Here's what greeted me on the brakes...Seized calipers with massive irregular wear...and rotors with deep grooves in them...

So the first option to the brake job was removing the caliper pins to get the brake pads out...as I was initially thinking "Hey, maybe the caliper isn't too bad...But after 2 hours, hammering, dremmeling, twisting...I even tried the brake pad spreader..

No dice. I decided to buy a new caliper. I picked up a remand and the core went back looking just like that...They can deal with that crap..

So now I had the calipers off and had to get the rotors off. Luckily these rotors had the bolt holes you can drive a bolt through to push them off the hub...

That helped a lot on the left front but I sheered the head off on the right front...so that left me with one hole to work. I hit it VERY slowly with the impact wrench...and eventually it popped off.

Rotors removed...CHECK...Now to tackle the hub assembly removal..
To say this was a difficult thing is the understatement of the year. The bolts that hold the assembly on are tucked under the lug bolts and can't be ratcheted...so you have to use a box wrench...The spec torque on them is only 51 ft/lb so I was able to break them all free, but the task of move it 1/4 turn, move box wrench, move it 1/4 turn etc...was not fun. I have ratcheting wrenches etc but they just don't fit in there. You get all the bolts loose enough and now it's time to tackle the rust that has seized it to the knuckle....This was done on the left side with screwdrivers and a hammer first...

that then graduated into a wood splitting wedge and a sledge hammer...EVENTUALLY (over an hour) of working this thing got it separated from the knuckle...but not the axle. I found out you can put the axle nut back on and hit it a couple of times to get it off and that ended up working...

MORE RUST...

Now commence putting the new parts on...I cleaned up as much of the rust as I could on the knuckle...

And then put on the new hub assembly and then the rotors, calipers, pads, bled the brakes...LOTS of issues along the way (including discovering I'd marred the threads on the axle nut!)

I had to get one from toyota...
And realizing the tacoma uses flared brake lines and no compression washers/banjo bolts...but eventually everything was torqued down and loc'd tight...
and shiny

The caliper was already rusting after 1 night of dew!

Took me 2 weeks to finish all this with the lack of free time...but I saved nearly $3000....

Best part is everything SEEMS to be working right...

I learned how great the AutoZone tool loaner program is...and that people who live in snow free zones have a much easier time doing vehicle maintenance...

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
I've read on Tacomaworld that while the gen1 and gen2 hold up fairly well, it's the frame that usually succumbs to rust. Particularly on the northern salted roads.

Now that the weather has become more comfortable, need to change the pads on my 2016.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
@TreeFortRichard , looks like you had a blast... uggg I’m dreading doing the wheel bearings on my truck.
I need to seriously look into a suspension upgrade and I’m dreading it because my truck is almost as rusted as yours

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Yeah fuck that rusty shit
Gonna drive mine thru this winter
Then get something newer in the spring

Rockers rusting out
ABS fuse pulled due to rusty hubs
Couple cracks in the windshield , etc.
Still runs fine
But looking at it underneath makes me cringe

Had it for 11 years
It's time for an upgrade I guess

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
It's that brine. Fez and BB1 will tell you.
Well
Like I said

My other vehicles never rusted this badly
Still have the 89 Grand Marquis
Finally replaced 1 section of steel brake line last year
All the lines on the truck have been replaced
I think the steel is shit
Brine ain't helping either though

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
I've read on Tacomaworld that while the gen1 and gen2 hold up fairly well, it's the frame that usually succumbs to rust. Particularly on the northern salted roads.

Now that the weather has become more comfortable, need to change the pads on my 2016.
Yeah..I needed a brake job since Dec...I have a manual so I downshift like crazy and barely use the brakes...New routine with tire rotation is now to move the caliper pins around and add fresh superlube to them...I never want those seizing. I should get another 150K out of these rotors/calipers...Just need to be able to get the pads out.

They make these things today that they call junk yards.

Let the poor thing die.
NEVER!!! I bought it used in 2012 with 75K on it for 19K...All paid off. Nothing like no car payment. $250 a month extra.

@TreeFortRichard , looks like you had a blast... uggg I’m dreading doing the wheel bearings on my truck.
I need to seriously look into a suspension upgrade and I’m dreading it because my truck is almost as rusted as yours
I bought pre-pressed, re-greased bearing assemblys from a guy who makes them specifically for toyotas...
http://www.marionbumper2bumper.com/
Took like 3 weeks to get them but it was a great price for the quality.

Guess you could always use this stuff: https://www.fluid-film.com/

gonna want that truecoat...
Toyota has an active frame rust program for my truck/year. Because I went to them last year (As part of a class action suit) they tested the frame with punches and applied a coating...Did the coating work? Well it looks like someone painted a deck without pressure washing it first and everyplace my 2x4's on my jack stands touch the frame the stuff peels off...But until 12 years from the inspection my frame is protected or replaced by toyota...I'll keep the truck.

And yea, the day after this was finished the A/C clutch melted and crapped out...So I'm picking that part up and fixing that this weekend and doing the serpentine belt while I'm at it (it's original) and then I need to get my windshield replaced and I may do my own oil for the first time in my it's pathetic because I'm 42 life :)

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Yeah..I needed a brake job since Dec...I have a manual so I downshift like crazy and barely use the brakes...New routine with tire rotation is now to move the caliper pins around and add fresh superlube to them...I never want those seizing. I should get another 150K out of these rotors/calipers...Just need to be able to get the pads out.

NEVER!!! I bought it used in 2012 with 75K on it for 19K...All paid off. Nothing like no car payment. $250 a month extra.

I bought pre-pressed, re-greased bearing assemblys from a guy who makes them specifically for toyotas...
http://www.marionbumper2bumper.com/
Took like 3 weeks to get them but it was a great price for the quality.

Toyota has an active frame rust program for my truck/year. Because I went to them last year (As part of a class action suit) they tested the frame with punches and applied a coating...Did the coating work? Well it looks like someone painted a deck without pressure washing it first and everyplace my 2x4's on my jack stands touch the frame the stuff peels off...But until 12 years from the inspection my frame is protected or replaced by toyota...I'll keep the truck.

And yea, the day after this was finished the A/C clutch melted and crapped out...So I'm picking that part up and fixing that this weekend and doing the serpentine belt while I'm at it (it's original) and then I need to get my windshield replaced and I may do my own oil for the first time in my it's pathetic because I'm 42 life :)
Friend of friend got a Toyota (dunno which one) as payment for a debt. He used it as a plow truck for like 5 years... frame started to rot so Toyota put a new frame on it... so basically he has a "new" truck.... that he will drive into the ground.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Guess you could always use this stuff: https://www.fluid-film.com/

gonna want that truecoat...
+1 on the Fluid Film. I did the entire underside of my Jeep before winter last year and not a spot of rust so far as I can tell. I also got the hose that you can use to get inside the frame. Only downside is my Jeep smelled like formaldehyde for several days.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
+1 on the Fluid Film. I did the entire underside of my Jeep before winter last year and not a spot of rust so far as I can tell. I also got the hose that you can use to get inside the frame. Only downside is my Jeep smelled like formaldehyde for several days.
Never used the stuff, but Tacomaworld seems to like it.

Sounds like the iron decontaminating products like IronX. That shit his horrid, but then again you rinse it right off and it's gone.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Fixed my A/C Clutch today...thing burned out on monday...I found out that the tacomas are know for the rubber to rot and then the clutch free wheels...$40 part and maybe 2 hours of disassemble re-assemble...and a forearm that looks like i hit it with a belt sander...and I have A/C again...Saved the $1100 they will charge you for a new everything instead of just swapping the clutch face..

Also did my Timing Belt...150K on the old one and it was cracking...

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
Toyotas are great at rusting.
The motors run great but if you don't wash the fuck out of them and get an undercoating every month in the north, they are going to rust faster than bread molds.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Toyotas are great at rusting.
The motors run great but if you don't wash the fuck out of them and get an undercoating every month in the north, they are going to rust faster than bread molds.
They all rust