ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Top 10 Most Violent Games To [GET] This Christmas

Top 10 Most Violent Games To Avoid This Christmas
by Max Brenn 20:20, December 5th 2007
Top 10 Most Violent Games To Avoid This Christmas
The US National Institute for Media and Family has released its 2007 "Christmas-shopping guide", for parents preoccupied with their kids' virtual safety. According to data cited from MediaWise, 86% of the kids aged 8 to 16 (9 children out of 10) are constantly playing games, while their parents, who have grown up with Amiga, DreamCast or Atari consoles in their hands, are also prolonging the ludicrous pleasure well into their adulthood.

While there are certainly advantages to mention for this situation (better interaction with siblings through online gaming, interactivity and the improvement of eye-hand coordination) there are also aspects that are questionable and could pose a risk to the mental and physical health of children.

National Institute for Media and Family underlined in their study that "efforts to protect children from the now undeniable potential harms of excessively violent video games have not kept pace with industry growth. Some of this shortfall is due to a chronic phenomenon: as the industry and its influence continue to grow, video games present new challenges for families."

The study also invokes the case of famous developer Rockstar Games, which was at first forced to postpone the launch of the controversial sequel Manhunt 2 this July and only allowed to release the game after changes in the gameplay were operated. However, just as it happened in the summer of 2006, when Rockstar became involved in the GTA Hot Coffee scandal, the release of Manhunt 2 didn't stop inquisitive and mischievous hackers from activating the Mature (M) or Adults Only content on the PSP and PlayStation 2, thus further increasing concern among NIMF members.

"Complacency, especially on the part of retailers and parents, appears to have caused a backslide in ratings awareness and enforcement. And, at the same time, while the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has continued to educate the public about its video game rating system, several shocking incidents have inadvertently revealed dangerous loopholes in the ratings process. Simply put, some of the hard-won progress seen in previous years has been lost, and now, too many children are spending too much time playing inappropriate video games that can harm their health and development."

Here is the complete list compiled by the NIMF board, which should give parents an idea about what to buy for their children this Christmas:

* Assassin's Creed
* Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
* Conan
* The Darkness
* Clive Barker's Jericho
* Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
* Manhunt 2
* Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
* John Woo Presents Stranglehold
* Timeshift

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
COD 4 rules! Followed closely by Medal of Honor Airborne.

Mobo

Aug 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I've played almost all of these games, and I've never had the idea to.....<BANG BANG> Hey! This is fun! <BANG BANG> HA HA! <BANG BANG> YEAH! TAKE THAT! YOU BASTARDS! <BANG BANG> MAKE FUN OF ME, WILL YA?! <BANG BANG>

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
nice I played 6 out of the 10....And I could be the most non-violent person ever...

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
this is certainly not the same list as Opie read today from that old stupid cunt. Was I the only person sitting there wondering if Doom and Quake was going to be on the list following all the other 6 year old games that parents shouldn't buy their children?

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
7 out of 10 of those game should be kept away from children because they suck ass.

SKRI

Oct 26, 2007
I live in a big rectangle
* Assassin's Creed I liked it.
* Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare my pick for GOTY
* Conan hollow hack/slash
* The Darkness overhyped
* Clive Barker's Jericho sucked.
* Kane & Lynch: Dead Men awesome story but kinda buggy. fun new multiplayer
* Manhunt 2 havent played.
* Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles havent played.
* John Woo Presents Stranglehold overhyped, fun in small doses.
* Timeshift appears to be not bad, considering development time, engine overhauls