OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Torn on car buying decision...

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by Sinn Fein, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

With the big family move to Florida, the wife and I are going to be making some changes to address the family's car needs before the big move.

We're taking my mother-in-law off the road. She's like 80 and is a menace to society when behind the wheel. She agrees that she shouldn't be driving around down there in a new area that is unfamiliar.

We're getting rid of the MIL's car. The wife's Honda Accord coupe is going to her daughter and her husband so they have a decent car. We bought the daughter a used SUV last year but she really doesn't like it that much so it's going to my stepson. He's all over it.

We're keeping my 15-year-old pickup just so we have it for when we need a truck down there. I like to go fishing, so it's convenient for that. Plus it'll be an extra car in an emergency.

The wife is going to either get a Honda Odyssey minivan or a Honda Pilot. It really depends what we can get a better deal on. She might end up with something different if the price is right. She really likes the Ford Flex for some reason. Bottom line is she wants something with alot of room to haul her mother and the grandkids around, etc. Plus, her daughter will use it from time to time.

What's left is me. I'm torn between wanting alot of different things. I will have a company vehicle, so I pretty much can get what I want (within financial reason) since I won't be using it for a daily commute. But, if the wife and I want to get away for a weekend or need to go someplace myself, I want something nice. I deserve it.

I kinda think that in Florida I'd love to have a convertible. I'm considering a Jeep, what's more fun than that? But, I've had some thoughts about a Mustang, or a Camaro, or even a 370Z.

Part of me would just like somewhat of a luxury car like maybe a nice Acura, Infinity, maybe a BMW, or heck, even a fully-loaded Maxima is a nice damn car that I really am quite fond of. I am even considering a Taurus SHO.

Decisions... decisions... Anything else I should look at to complicate matters even more?

2. Dikbag

Dikbag Registered User

make sure you get the super widescreen in the Odyssey
    [​IMG]

3. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

My suggestion: since your car will be superfluous, set aside the money for it and hold off for a year. You're moving to a new area. No matter how much you like it, it's possible things will go badly. I figure you already have a financial reserve, but an extra "fun" car is a fairly expensive toy.

That said, if in a year you're both happy and smiling and your life in the Sunshine State, really treat yourself. An SLK Mercedes, and BMW Z, or even an SL Mercedes, with that extra year of waiting, should be within shouting distance if you're looking at new Jeep/370Z type cars this year. Any of those cars will be a lot of fun to drive.

Also, it'll give you time to really scout out the landscape. Where I live in Central PA, there's no way I'd ever buy a Corvette. With Carlisle right here, Vettes are a dime a dozen, to the point where they don't get you any attention. After a year down there, you may realize there's a shitload of douchebags driving Car X, and Car X might have been what you would have bought if you pulled the trigger now.

Just my suggestion, though. Good luck.

4. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

5. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

I thought about that...

I have a family member in the car biz and can get a better deal here. So, that's why I am looking to do it before the move. Plus, I am probably going down by myself a month or two ahead of everyone else to start the new job.

So, I need to have something to make the trip down, etc.

I'm not necessarily looking for attention. And, the car won't be totally superfluous. My wife and stepdaugher will technically be sharing a car as well as sharing duties as a taxi for the mother-in-law, grandkids, etc. So, if my wife needs to go someplace by her self or with her mother and the stepdaughter needs to take the kids someplace else... She'd be taking "my" car. My old truck really isn't an option for either of them to drive. I'm keeping it mainly as a beater to take fishing, get dirty, etc. Plus my wife can't really get in it.

6. maz

maz TRueWDTer

You're taking the Mother -in-law with you ?

That Sucks

7. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

I am looking at big houses so I can stick her in a corner where she won't bother me too much.

8. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

You want a great convertible that's a blast to drive then it's the BMW Z4 hands down. Plus it's a hard top convertible so none of that deafening highway noise or draftiness on colder days.

Oh and get it with the twin turbo six. That engine is a piece of mechanical genius.

9. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered User

Florida is home of the Mustang. The 370 isn't a bad choice or even a used M3. A cheap fun car to look at is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. More info would make this easier to help with though i.e. # of seats, price, transmission preference, etc.

10. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

Oh and it's fucking gorgeous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

For style and class and luxury, there is only one choice.

[​IMG]

12. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Has to be automatic so the wife can drive it. I wouldn't mind a two-seater, a regular coupe, or a sedan. I am not opposed to buying a certified used with really low-miles (like under 10K) to save cash. I'm going to try and keep it under $35K, if not under $30K. I could get a used Z4 in that price range, in fact there's one at my cousin's dealership right now but has more miles than I'd like on it.

13. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

[​IMG]

bubble tops never go out of style

14. Turfmower

Turfmower Registered User

15. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

That was John Voight's car.

16. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Lots of headroom and room in the back of these...

[​IMG]

17. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

I'm actually also considering a Mini Cooper S Convertible. I know, I know. Almost as bad as a Prius.

But a buddy has one and I really like it. And the price would free up some money for other toys.

18. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well whatever you get I would suggest a light colour...

19. Dicktator

Dicktator Frozen Meatbals 4life

I would suggest the Jeep since you mentioned it it's already on your radar. I am on my 3rd jeep and own 2 of them right now. One is '97 lifted that i use for fun and i bought a 2012 4 door hardtop in april. very versitile for a fun vehicle especially in FL and convenient for towing.

20. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

MINI's are awesome... You just have to deal with the quirkiness of them.

The roadsters look awesome.

[​IMG]

New boxters are gorgeous

[​IMG]

TT convertible

[​IMG]

21. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered User

I didn't know he spelled it with an H.

:haha7:

22. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I had the Dodge version of that car. What a piece of shit.

23. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Acura MDX.

With a sunroof. Micks should never own convertibles. We tend to burn easily in hot tropical climates.

24. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Ya my chick haaaaaated when I opened the moonroof on my old car....

25. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Definitely will be a light color.

The Jeep is a leading contender. They come pretty damn well equipped now. I've always wanted one.

I'm going to drive different stuff and see where the best deals can be had.