Toshiba To Give Up On HD DVD, End Format War

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
SOURCE:REUTERS

Toshiba to give up on HD DVD, end format war: source

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:02am EST

Email | Print | Share
| Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (1)
[-] Text [+]

Related News

Wal-Mart to only sell Blu-ray DVDs 15 Feb 2008

Wal-Mart to only sell Blu-ray DVDs 15 Feb 2008

Best Buy to recommend Blu-ray format 11 Feb 2008

Toshiba cuts HD player prices in Blu-ray fight 14 Jan 2008

North American HD DVD sales hit 1 million: Toshiba 06 Jan 2008

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) is planning to give up on its HD DVD format for high-definition video, conceding defeat to the competing Blu-Ray technology backed by Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research), a company source said on Saturday.

Japanese public broadcaster NHK had earlier reported that Toshiba would suffer losses in the tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of dollars) as it scrapped production of HD DVD players and recorders and took other steps to exit the business.
The company source told Reuters that Toshiba was in the final stages of planning to exit the HD DVD business and that an official decision would be made soon.
(Reporting by Mayumi Negishi, Kentaro Hamada and Nathan Layne, editing by Mike Peacock)

© Reuters 2008 All rights reserved

LINK: http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSL1637974620080216

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
I'm glad that is over.
I knew it was done last week with Walmart and Netflix both dropping it.

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
In 3 more years optical media will be getting phased out altogether so this is a short lived victory for Sony.

Flash based memory is dirt cheap now. Given the prices that Sony is charging for blank media, licensing to 3rd party player manufacturers etc it won't stand up to 5 gig thumb drives that will probably sell for under $5.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
VICTORY WELFARE, CORNELIUS DREBBEL!

Glad that's over with.

Now let's get busy making those HD-DVD exclusive titles available on Blu-Ray.

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
Yes Pl,I think I might just get a PS3 instead of a Blu-Ray player.Prolly this summer.
Glad this war is over.

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
On one of the other HD DVD/Blu-Ray threads on here, someone made the completely logical point that the PS3 could be upgraded because of it's online capability. I bought one the next day. Sure, I have no independent thought, but I'm happy.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
In 3 more years optical media will be getting phased out altogether so this is a short lived victory for Sony.

Flash based memory is dirt cheap now. Given the prices that Sony is charging for blank media, licensing to 3rd party player manufacturers etc it won't stand up to 5 gig thumb drives that will probably sell for under $5.
optical media is not going anywhere. the video game industry runs off of it, and the next set of consoles after this will be using BD, unless someone tries to push their proprietary format. Dont forget in a few years PC games will more than likely upgrade their standard from DVD to BD. what makes you think that optical media is going to be phased out, let alone in 3 years? The playstation will be in its prime, theres going to be a lot more HD programming on TV(who's HD seasons will be sold on BD). Flash is cheap, and downloading will be popular, but theres still too many opportunites to be had by BD and optical discs

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY

You die a little bit inside every time Sony wins something don't you? Opitcal media will have a longer span than 3 years, you're being delusional.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
News Update:
Toshiba Chairman and CEO Atsutoshi Nishida has taken full responsibility for HD-DVD's failure and is preparing to make a statement:

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I just wish the prices would come down on these discs, but I'm sure it's wishful thinking. They had $30 movies at Walmart...I've seen alot at $39.99. I did buy Rescue Me Season 3 for $37 though.

The quality is great though. I do have a question which one of you might be able to answer. Is using an HDMI cable truly any better than the component cables I use now? I've heard it's better, but I don't know if it's worth the $60.

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
optical media is not going anywhere. the video game industry runs off of it, and the next set of consoles after this will be using BD, unless someone tries to push their proprietary format. Dont forget in a few years PC games will more than likely upgrade their standard from DVD to BD. what makes you think that optical media is going to be phased out, let alone in 3 years? The playstation will be in its prime, theres going to be a lot more HD programming on TV(who's HD seasons will be sold on BD). Flash is cheap, and downloading will be popular, but theres still too many opportunites to be had by BD and optical discs
Next gen is going to be entirely digitally distributed. I have no doubt there will be room for some kind of optical media but it'll be niche. The music industry is already having trouble coming to grips with the fact that they can't gateway their products using optical media nor force it upon us with DRM. Everything else , whether it be movies or games, is simply going to follow suit.

You die a little bit inside every time Sony wins something don't you? Opitcal media will have a longer span than 3 years, you're being delusional.
Don't try to paint me as some kind of MS fanboy my friend. I own all the systems of last gen and both the 360 and Wii from this gen, the only reason I don't have a PS3 is financial reasons which will change shortly. I'm platform agnostic.

Maybe 3 years is a tad optimistic (or pessimistic depending on where your preferences lay) but it IS going to happen. I will bet you a years pay that next gen consoles will be entirely digital distribution as will 95% of all PC software. those who choose to not download will be stuck using snail-mail with a one-time use flash drive or, yes, an obsolete BD disc mailed to them :action-sm

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I'd feel bad about taking your money.

Yea the MS made one will most likely move to all downloadable content but there's a good reason why they sell them on discs and cartridges.

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
I just wish the prices would come down on these discs, but I'm sure it's wishful thinking. They had $30 movies at Walmart...I've seen alot at $39.99. I did buy Rescue Me Season 3 for $37 though.

The quality is great though. I do have a question which one of you might be able to answer. Is using an HDMI cable truly any better than the component cables I use now? I've heard it's better, but I don't know if it's worth the $60.
HDMI is made for High Definition,stay away from overpriced Monster Cables!Heres a place online: http://www.techsourcepro.com/sections/items/?cat=73&sort=p

Heres where I get my high-end cables:
http://www.signalcable.com/

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Lets also not forget that movies and music are similar industries, but consumed completely differently -- the backbone of the pop music biz has always been the single... people flocked to downloads so they could buy just the songs they wanted for cheap, or just steal the single here or there. Movies aren't watched piecemeal. Downloads may replace rentals, but for purchase I think they will still be there... and I think the studios might start including copies formatted for media players on the discs as well.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Lets also not forget that movies and music are similar industries, but consumed completely differently -- the backbone of the pop music biz has always been the single... people flocked to downloads so they could buy just the songs they wanted for cheap, or just steal the single here or there. Movies aren't watched piecemeal. Downloads may replace rentals, but for purchase I think they will still be there... and I think the studios might start including copies formatted for media players on the discs as well.
I completely agree.

What am I going to do? Download a movie onto my PC, and keep it on there? That's at least 4 or 5 gigs worth of files for a GOOD quality DVD, a lot more if we're talking high-def.

It's so much easier to just buy a DVD. I agree, digital distribution might be okay if you're going to watch something ONCE, as in a download, like Netflix's "instant watch" option, but to own the film, people will still go for the actual optical media.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Will Microsoft start selling a Blu-Ray attachment for the 360 now?
Judging by how many 360's that have shit the bed, I'd say no.

They should stick to fucking up software, it's what they do best.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
and I think the studios might start including copies formatted for media players on the discs as well.

Fox announced during the Apple Keynote that their DVDs will start to include a "Digital Copy". So when you buy a dvd that has a digital copy it comes with a serial number that you can put in iTunes and download a verion for your iPod.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
so i'm assuming paramount movies will be released on blu-ray now? i'd really like to get transformers and star trek in hd, not to mention iron man later this year.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I do have a question which one of you might be able to answer. Is using an HDMI cable truly any better than the component cables I use now? I've heard it's better, but I don't know if it's worth the $60.
I've used this Ebay store before for many AV cables:
http://search.stores.ebay.com/EverydaySource_hdmi-cable_W0QQfciZ1QQfclZ4QQfsnZEverydaySourceQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ19370852QQsofpZ0

They've got many shapes and sizes, just make sure you get the HQ Gold Plated types. They also list their prices very low but make it up on the shipping which saves you on the sales tax.