Trailers, Tidbits, and Other Stuff That Doesn't Need A Thread (Yet)

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I too was puzzled how something with I think a dozen really brutal decapitations made PG-13. It was impressive how authentic that Playstation 2 made the grisly murders look.
Neckbeard return! The Pigumvirarte lives again!

Floyd1977

I don't exactly know why Flash said it might be the worst movie ever, but the action figures that help him out are all girls, and the people that attack him are Literal Nazi's, so folks like @Floyd1977 are sure to get their panties in a bunch about it, which will trigger you, because you get your panties in a bunch when people like Floyd get their panties in a bunch. So bunches of panty bunching for everyone!
Buddy of mine sent me a link to a site that analyzes historical accuracy of “True Story” movies. Marwen was a recent entry. Regarding the Nazi thing......

Were the men who beat Mark Hogancamp neo-Nazis?
No. This is the movie's biggest fabrication with regard to the true story. In real life, Mark's assailants did admit to beating him because he told them he was a cross-dresser, which would make it a hate crime, but they weren't actually neo-Nazi white supremacists like in the movie. One of the real-life attackers, a 16-year-old nicknamed "Black Freddy," wasn't even white. However, to reinforce the point, the movie even shows one of the men with a swastika tattoo on his bicep. Both in the Marwencol documentary and in the articles written about Mark Hogancamp, including in The New York Times, there was never a mention of his assailants being neo-Nazis. They also appear a bit older in the film. In real life, two of the five attackers were still teenagers.

The mugshots of the five young men who attacked the real Mark Hogancamp.

So not only did the movie make up the fact that the assilants were Neo-Nazis, they were in reality a racially diverse group.

I’m not going to defend neo Nazis. They’re scumbags, but why does the movie have to lie?

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Buddy of mine sent me a link to a site that analyzes historical accuracy of “True Story” movies. Marwen was a recent entry. Regarding the Nazi thing......

Were the men who beat Mark Hogancamp neo-Nazis?
No. This is the movie's biggest fabrication with regard to the true story. In real life, Mark's assailants did admit to beating him because he told them he was a cross-dresser, which would make it a hate crime, but they weren't actually neo-Nazi white supremacists like in the movie. One of the real-life attackers, a 16-year-old nicknamed "Black Freddy," wasn't even white. However, to reinforce the point, the movie even shows one of the men with a swastika tattoo on his bicep. Both in the Marwencol documentary and in the articles written about Mark Hogancamp, including in The New York Times, there was never a mention of his assailants being neo-Nazis. They also appear a bit older in the film. In real life, two of the five attackers were still teenagers.

The mugshots of the five young men who attacked the real Mark Hogancamp.

So not only did the movie make up the fact that the assilants were Neo-Nazis, they were in reality a racially diverse group.

I’m not going to defend neo Nazis. They’re scumbags, but why does the movie have to lie?
Racially diverse? There was one black guy and one DJ Qualls.

And I don't consider it "lying," unless you consider all based on a true story movies (even the best ones) lying for condensing characters or events. In most all movies, particularly bad ones, you need to shorthand things because you want to get to Emotion A since getting to Emotion A is secondary to the actual purpose of the movie, which is Emotion C. If you want to blast all movies for this, fine, but don't make "those poor Neo Nazis!" the hill you die on.

And since military fetishism seems to play a part in it, I can see how Nazis fit thematically more than randos.

But let's put a pin in it until HitW.

Floyd1977

Racially diverse? There was one black guy and one DJ Qualls.

And I don't consider it "lying," unless you consider all based on a true story movies (even the best ones) lying for condensing characters or events. In most all movies, particularly bad ones, you need to shorthand things because you want to get to Emotion A since getting to Emotion A is secondary to the actual purpose of the movie, which is Emotion C. If you want to blast all movies for this, fine, but don't make "those poor Neo Nazis!" the hill you die on.

And since military fetishism seems to play a part in it, I can see how Nazis fit thematically more than randos.

But let's put a pin in it until HitW.
Ok, I was being somewhat facetious with the “racially diverse” comment, but it’s sort of true if you’re using Neo-Nazis as a comparison.

And no, I’m not sticking up for neo-Nazis of course, no one is dying in a Hill here, but I don’t think it’s entirely unworthy of discussion, but generally I prefer when adaptations stick to the truth when possible and when deviated from, it should be very clearly explainable how it’s in service to the film (that’s just a general statement not necessary specific to this movie alone, but if Zemeckis just said “I changed it because neo Nazis are evil” it wouldn’t cut it). Is it ok to falsely depict a group of being responsible for a specific incident because you don’t like what they stand for (not saying that’s exactly what’s happening here, but I’d say it’s a valid question)

I haven’t seen the movie so I can’t comment on whether the change does what you suggest it might be doing, but it seems like the fabrication is very deliberate. And of course no one is going to publically question him on the change, but I’m sure if you played the substitution game, he’d have plenty to answer for.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

I've never seen a trailer where everyone should be doing much better stuff.

Pugh is great in Little Drummer Girl. It's even written and directed by Stephen Merchant somehow. I really liked Hello Ladies.

And the title makes me think of the Birdemic song.

LiddyRules

Matthew Rhys is set to play Perry Mason in a new HBO series from True Detective Guy that was originally going to star Iron Man. I am really looking forward to this, especially if they make it more like the Nick Charlesian drunk from the old film series rather than the more straight laced Burr version.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
They're doing a Tom and Jerry live action hybrid movie. Here's some concert art with a very annoyed looking Jennifer Lawrence, who of course will not be in the movie. Seems like they've learned from the mistakes the Sonic movie made:

LiddyRules

They're doing a Tom and Jerry live action hybrid movie. Here's some concert art with a very annoyed looking Jennifer Lawrence, who of course will not be in the movie. Seems like they've learned from the mistakes the Sonic movie made:

I don't know. Her career seems to have Fassbendered.

I mean obviously she won't, but I wouldn't mind seeing her in full stewardess uniform.

I was more off put by his Will Smith voice. Change your inflection. Make it look like you're trying just a little bit.
I don't like that either, but it's what I fully expected. Will Smith is Will Smith in every movie he's in.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Holy shit is this terrible.

Will smith looks/sounds like bottled ass.

LiddyRules

It's like he's a stock CGI blue blob with Smith's face quickly superimposed on it.

LiddyRules

I've never seen a trailer where everyone should be doing much better stuff.

Pugh is great in Little Drummer Girl. It's even written and directed by Stephen Merchant somehow. I really liked Hello Ladies.

And the title makes me think of the Birdemic song.

91% positive. I blame Stephen Merchant.