Transformers 4- June 27, 2014- Cybertronian Sequel Laws Don't Follow Earth Sequel Laws

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

It's official. Bay's directing. Apparently it won't have any of the actors from the first three films. And Mark Wahlberg is starring.

That got me thinking. Does anyone actually care about Mark Wahlberg? Like would you consider yourself a Mark Wahlberg fan? Or have you ever seen Mark Wahlberg in a role and been like "I can't imagine this movie without him?" Or "I would love to see Wahlberg in that part." This isn't to say he's a bad actor or that he drags a movie down, and I've liked a number of his stuff (like The Departed, Three Kings, Boogie Nights, I Heart Huckabees) but I don't think I've ever thought of his as much of an actor.

I don't think George Clooney's great, but he's had a number of roles where at least I can say "I'm curious about what he's doing." Damon, Pitt, and DiCaprio have proven themselves as more than just a pretty face. But with Wahlberg, I'm having difficulty thinking if I've ever been interested in his career trajectory.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I like Wahlberg but would never run out to see a movie with him in it. Most of the time it's a sign that a viewing should wait till home release.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I actually liked the third one. Not sure if that was because it's good or fun or just because it's not part 2 which was one of the worst movies of the past 10 years.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I like Wahlberg but would never run out to see a movie with him in it. Most of the time it's a sign that a viewing should wait till home release.
Sounds about right. The surprising thing is that despite his seeming lack of ability or fanbase, he has landed a number of big time projects with big time directors. I expect Bay to get more "Happening" than "Departed" out of him.

I view this project as more Battleship 2 than Transformers 4

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
We don't need another Transformers movie, atleast one directed by Michael Bay.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I'm calling it right now, Marky Mark will be the voice of Bumblebee (when Ratchet finally repaires his voice module)

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I actually liked the third one. Not sure if that was because it's good or fun or just because it's not part 2 which was one of the worst movies of the past 10 years.
I think part 3 is only slightly better than Part 2. It makes the same damned mistakes. John Malkovich was the same as Rainn Wilson.

And I was annoyed that Sam couldn't use his connections to the Transformers to get him a job. By that I mean, in number 2, he made international news for being connected to the alien fucking invasion. Then he gets a medal from the President. Then no one can connect that the two are connected?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I think part 3 is only slightly better than Part 2. It makes the same damned mistakes.
I think the way I defined 3 was that it looked like there was actually a pretty good script buried under all the crap they eventually did. 2 didn't even have that going for it.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I think the way I defined 3 was that it looked like there was actually a pretty good script buried under all the crap they eventually did. 2 didn't even have that going for it.
I don't think there was a good script. I think there were good elements that should have been built on (e.g. Earth finding out about aliens on their planet and dealing with them because Autobots being exiled was all over the news.) But not a good script.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I don't think there was a good script. I think there were good elements that should have been built on (e.g. Earth finding out about aliens on their planet and dealing with them because Autobots being exiled was all over the news.) But not a good script.
I didn't mean good as in the dialogue was good. Like parts of the concept were good. Maybe "outline" would have been a more appropriate word than "script."

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Whalberg better be Spike trapped in Autobot X's body or Rodimus Prime with this song playing over and over on a video screen:

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Article on why Transformers 4 might film in China and the importance of the Chinese box office. http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/paramount-hopes-to-set-transformers-4-in-china.html

This quote made me laugh
A second source close to the Transformers sequel, who verifies the plan to shoot in China, says that cultural censors there will closely consult on the still-evolving Transformers script. “They want to make sure that the Chinese military are depicted as a highly competent group of super-fighters,” said this production source, “not some third-world force.”
Additionally, I read on the same day that producers are casting for Wahlberg's daughter/race car driver boyfriend and for maybe Harry Osbourne in Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which I think is a dumb idea to include him). But I was thinking, would you rather be part of the Transformers franchise or the Spidey franchise? Because I think I'd prefer Spidey. (And, for sake of the argument, let's say that each franchise has the same amount of life left in it.)

Dec 12, 2007
Article on why Transformers 4 might film in China and the importance of the Chinese box office. http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/paramount-hopes-to-set-transformers-4-in-china.html

This quote made me laugh

Additionally, I read on the same day that producers are casting for Wahlberg's daughter/race car driver boyfriend and for maybe Harry Osbourne in Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which I think is a dumb idea to include him). But I was thinking, would you rather be part of the Transformers franchise or the Spidey franchise? Because I think I'd prefer Spidey. (And, for sake of the argument, let's say that each franchise has the same amount of life left in it.)
Well if Transformers does anything right it's stereotypes. Expect a pair of transforming chop sticks that can't pronounce L's.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
But I was thinking, would you rather be part of the Transformers franchise or the Spidey franchise? Because I think I'd prefer Spidey. (And, for sake of the argument, let's say that each franchise has the same amount of life left in it.)
Lets see, in the Transformers I'm probably playing a member of a special forces unit who shouts out catchphrases that some are going to have a problem with.

In Spidey, I'm playing the assistant editor of the Daily Bugle. That's assuming the newspaper industry still exists in the Amazing Spiderman universe. If I get cast as a villain there are going to be people on a messageboard yelling, "He wasn't black in the comic book"!!!!!!

I hate to say it, but I'm going to go with the Transformers.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Lets see, in the Transformers I'm probably playing a member of a special forces unit who shouts out catchphrases that some are going to have a problem with.

In Spidey, I'm playing the assistant editor of the Daily Bugle. That's assuming the newspaper industry still exists in the Amazing Spiderman universe. If I get cast as a villain there are going to be people on a messageboard yelling, "He wasn't black in the comic book"!!!!!!

I hate to say it, but I'm going to go with the Transformers.
I'd say if you're cast in Spider-Man, there's less of a chance for you being step and fetch-it-y.

Also, your special forces unit is the B team to the highly competent group of super-fighters.

Also, if you get cast as a villain, there are also going to be people on a messageboard saying "Finally, a black criminal in movies."

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'd say if you're cast in Spider-Man, there's less of a chance for you being step and fetch-it-y.

Also, your special forces unit is the B team to the highly competent group of super-fighters.
IIRC one of the Special Forces guy is black and not step and fetch it-y at all. They save their racial stereotypes for the robots.

Dec 12, 2007

The more I think about this movie the more I like it over the years. One of the only times we had a multiracial military unit that didn't devolve into "yakum smackem" airplane talk.

"I see you..."

Mac rules.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
Kelsey Grammer has joined the cast of Michael Bay's Transformers 4 as a human villain named Harold Attinger. Deadline reports that the Attinger character is a counterintelligence officer.

Grammer joins Mark Wahlberg, Jack Reynor, Nicola Peltz and Stanley Tucci in the June 27, 2014 release. Although the plot of sequel is still top secret, Bay teased to ComingSoon.net that it will involve a "Chase from Hell."

Best known for his 20-year stint as Frasier Crane (split between nine seasons of "Cheers" and 11 seasons of "Frasier"), Grammer is also well-known to genre audiences for his appearance as Hank "Beast" McCoy in Brett Ratner's X-Men: The Last Stand.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I hope he's like McDreamy in #3. His family was the Decepticons Accountant

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Can we just get a half hour long big screen giant robot fight? That's all anyone gives a shit about. Story is tits on a bull, and we'll save hours of our lives.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I did like Frasier as Beast.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ

The more I think about this movie the more I like it over the years. One of the only times we had a multiracial military unit that didn't devolve into "yakum smackem" airplane talk.

"I see you..."

Mac rules.
Youre ghostin us mother fucker. Now I don't care who you are back in the world. You give us a slip one more Im gonna bleed you. Real quiet. Leave you here. Got that