Tree Removal Help

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
I've just had a large oak drop in my yard. It happened in a wild non-landscaped area, so the only collateral damage was other smaller trees & bushes. It's 8 feet in circumference, but I don't have an accurate length yet. I've limbed several smaller branches, but I think I need professional help for the main body.

Has anyone here had any success in getting a local sawmill-woodworker-furniture maker to pay you to take it off your hands? I would probably settle for someone just taking it gratis. It's only 20 yards with a semi-clear path to the road, so getting at it won't be a problem.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
I googled "sawmills near samurai" but that didn't help.

Call a local sawmill, timber buyer or custom woodworking shop and check. I know people that have sold a toppled oak tree for a couple hundred bucks.

Good luck bro.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I googled "sawmills near samurai" but that didn't help.

Call a local sawmill, timber buyer or custom woodworking shop and check. I know people that have sold a toppled oak tree for a couple hundred bucks.

Good luck bro.
Prob more for that one... looks pretty straight...

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Prob more for that one... looks pretty straight...
Looks pretty dead too. Not sure what condition the wood (huh-huh) is in but he might have a nice little payday waiting for him.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
It's got shrooms all over it. That's a dead rotten worthless tree.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It's no good for lumber if it's rotting from the center, but you could probably get someone to cut it up for firewood and haul it away for free.

Edit: pro-tip, afterwards burn the limbs really close to your house and leave the fire unattended. I hear it's a great way to get your house remodeled.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
It's no good for lumber if it's rotting from the center, but you could probably get someone to cut it up for firewood and haul it away for free.

Edit: pro-tip, afterwards burn the limbs really close to your house and leave the fire unattended. I hear it's a great way to get your house remodeled.
Really bad idea.

5skin

May 14, 2010
the woods
Tannerite is what you're gonna want to use.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I've just had a large oak drop in my yard. It happened in a wild non-landscaped area, so the only collateral damage was other smaller trees & bushes. It's 8 feet in circumference, but I don't have an accurate length yet. I've limbed several smaller branches, but I think I need professional help for the main body.

Has anyone here had any success in getting a local sawmill-woodworker-furniture maker to pay you to take it off your hands? I would probably settle for someone just taking it gratis. It's only 20 yards with a semi-clear path to the road, so getting at it won't be a problem.

But where will you store your gloves once it's gone?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Craig's list "free firewood"

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
And watch all of the freaks show up with chainsaws? Seems like a bad idea.
You sir don't know entertainment when you see it.

My buddy is a craig's list junkie, he will sell anything on craig's list, a few years ago he put an add in that said "1$ a board decking you remove it all" the next morning he had guys in his driveway having a bidding war over 25 year old pressure treated 5/4 boards. He finally settled on 2$ a board and one guy ripped it out and sold it to the other guy for 3$ a board, and made them sweep the yard with a magnet to get up all the nails and take the shit they wrecked.

Having a bunch of Yahoos running around with chain saws all drunken up is fun to watch, they usually tire them selves out pretty quick, biggest problem is them getting stuck and tearing up the yard

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
You sir don't know entertainment when you see it.

My buddy is a craig's list junkie, he will sell anything on craig's list, a few years ago he put an add in that said "1$ a board decking you remove it all" the next morning he had guys in his driveway having a bidding war over 25 year old pressure treated 5/4 boards. He finally settled on 2$ a board and one guy ripped it out and sold it to the other guy for 3$ a board, and made them sweep the yard with a magnet to get up all the nails and take the shit they wrecked.

Having a bunch of Yahoos running around with chain saws all drunken up is fun to watch, they usually tire them selves out pretty quick, biggest problem is them getting stuck and tearing up the yard
I'd be happy to watch from a distance, as you did. I'm not inviting that into my house.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I have several trees that fell on my property in totally un used areas, I just left them to rot

mrbucket75

Jan 9, 2009
GJ. CO.
Shit, Thats wood for the next 3 years. You like fire pits? Go get yourself an inexpensive saw and cut that into blocks, then chop it. You will be a hero.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
If you decide to cut it up yourself, and you've never used a saw before, there's one thing you absolutely cannot forget to do... And that is to set up the video camera first.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
If you decide to cut it up yourself, and you've never used a saw before, there's one thing you absolutely cannot forget to do... And that is to set up the video camera first.
And down at least 6 beers... oh and wear shorts and flip flops...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I have several trees that fell on my property in totally un used areas, I just left them to rot
I have a shit tonne of Black Birches drooping after storms... need to go buy a half assed saw as cunt got the good one and I got the pruner... meh.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I just bought a new 18" echo for years I was using an electric but, assman tore it up last year, it didn't owe me anything

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I just bought a new 18" echo for years I was using an electric but, assman tore it up last year, it didn't owe me anything
Nah I'll go drop some coin on a mid upper range Stihl... as eventually I want to drop all the trees beside the pond so I get a better view... well that and there are a bunch of wild roses in there that I want to get rid of as well.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
This.
I don't see that tree laying on a mowed lawn. Personally, I'd let it sit for 2-3 years to season and then cut it up for firewood.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
I own a chainsaw, but it's only 16". I always prefer to go old school whenever possible .

Then again, I've never had to deal with an 8' log before. I've made some calls and sent some emails today...none of which included drunken local chainsaw wielding yahoos and Craigslist cowboys. ;)

I have several lay-down logs already, but not as prominent as this one...so it's kind of an eyesore. I do have fireplaces, but haven't used them since my furnace heat exchanger failed a few winters ago. So keeping firewood doesn't interest me.

We'll see what happens.