Trent Reznor Says "Steal My Music"

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Slashdot article

THX-1138 from /. said:
"A few months ago, Trent Reznor (frontman of the band Nine Inch Nails), was in Australia doing an interview when he commented on the outrageous prices of CDs there. Apparently now his label, Universal Media Group is angry at him for having said that. During a concert last night, he told fans, '...Has anyone seen the price come down? Okay, well, you know what that means — STEAL IT. Steal away. Steal and steal and steal some more and give it to all your friends and keep on stealin'. Because one way or another these mother****ers will get it through their head that they're ripping people off and that's not right.'"
[yt]TJ5iHaV0dP4[/yt]

KevSlider

EYE HAVE YOU
Wackbag Staff
Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Hey did you hear that? I think that was the sound of Papagolash punching someone in the face out of shear joy because his idol gave him permission to steal.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Hey did you hear that? I think that was the sound of Papagolash punching someone in the face out of shear joy because his idol gave him permission to steal.
hahahahaha
:clap::haha7::clap::haha7:

hes my idol too....

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
hes a good egg that mr reznor.

cds are $20-$25 bucks here, the legit ones. who the fuck is going to pay that? i understand the companies have to make their money, but theres no reason a cd that costs 25 cents to make should be sold for $20-25 bucks. its ridiculous.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
hes a good egg that mr reznor.

cds are $20-$25 bucks here, the legit ones. who the fuck is going to pay that? i understand the companies have to make their money, but theres no reason a cd that costs 25 cents to make should be sold for $20-25 bucks. its ridiculous.
see thats what its about right there... those outrageous prices.

i have trouble paying $20-$25 for a DVD packed with features, let alone a CD...

thats another reason torrent sites are so prevelant anymore.

they really are doiong this to themeselves

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
yeah i agree with that. if it was 20-25 for a cd, dvd, and maybe some other fan type or some live downloads from the bands website, i wouldnt mind that much. but the price for a standalone cd is way too steep.

and how many times back in the day have you purchased a cd only to get it home and have it suck? like 1 song you heard on the radio draws you in, then you get it home and you get a big pile of shit? now you are stuck with it, or maybe you can boot it for 1/4 of what you paid to a used cd shop. that used to drive me nuts.

the only cds i buy of late are from bands i support who arent really mainstream. ill never blindly buy a freakin mainstream cd, theres just no reason for it.

Shaggz

Slaying Zombies
Jan 26, 2005
Kentucky
the only cds i buy of late are from bands i support who arent really mainstream. ill never blindly buy a freakin mainstream cd, theres just no reason for it.
That's the way I do it. An artist in particular that I enjoy, mc chris, he's independent and even though he became popular through people stealing his stuff and sharing it with friends (and still has no problems with it), I buy his music, and even his merch to help support the guy.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
it's funny because his cd's are always competent enough to spend actual money on.
absolutely agree.

of course i am biased and will buy anything trent breathes on, but... still not to sound like too old af a critic... but the stuff in the last 5 years as far as mainstream pop/rock is lacking (few exceptions of course, but mostly).

trent is a genius composer and one of the few that makes albums that i can listen to the entire thing all the way through.

most garbage today is throw away albums with a hit single and 1 follow up hit that never breaks the top 25.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
That's the way I do it. An artist in particular that I enjoy, mc chris, he's independent and even though he became popular through people stealing his stuff and sharing it with friends (and still has no problems with it), I buy his music, and even his merch to help support the guy.
MC Chris rules and is a nice guy to boot.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I don't really like NIN, but if he wants me to have his music for free, i'll give it another try.

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001

Technically he didn't. He was pretty pissed when Year Zero came out 2nd on the Billboard charts with sales a lot less than everyone expected. If you've noticed, he's only been telling countries in Europe, Asia, and Australia to steal the album, not once in the US. At 1st in Europe back in March through May he would joke about how everyone was stealing it, but that changed in May when he went to Australia and saw Year Zero being sold for $30+ bucks. The Fragile is being sold for $60 down there. And when he asked the label they said they jacked the price b/c his fanbase will buy it regardless. So he's been pissed off and been saying for people to steal his music in the foreign countries ever since.

The Year Zero remix album will be the last album he'll be releasing on Interscope. After that his contract is over and he will be an independent artist. And with this he's talked about putting his new albums online immediatly the day it's finished mixing. No more waiting 2 months dealing with all the label bullshit. And he'll sell the albums as low as $4 bucks. And that profit goes all straight to him. He'll also have different art on the site so people can d/l and create their own cd covers and sleeves.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Technically he didn't. He was pretty pissed when Year Zero came out 2nd on the Billboard charts with sales a lot less than everyone expected. If you've noticed, he's only been telling countries in Europe, Asia, and Australia to steal the album, not once in the US. At 1st in Europe back in March through May he would joke about how everyone was stealing it, but that changed in May when he went to Australia and saw Year Zero being sold for $30+ bucks. The Fragile is being sold for $60 down there. And when he asked the label they said they jacked the price b/c his fanbase will buy it regardless. So he's been pissed off and been saying for people to steal his music in the foreign countries ever since.
$60 American Dollars?
The Fragile is great, but $60 is unbelievable.
I basically only listen to live music, which is usually free or like $9.99 for a 3 hour show.
I had no idea cds are $20-25 in some places.
I bought a cd at best buy a long time ago for like 14.99 a new release I think.

This makes me like Trent even more now as well.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
He'll also have different art on the site so people can d/l and create their own cd covers and sleeves.
speaking of the d/l art, i picked up one of the 36"x46" posters that had the with teeth - lyrics hi res pdf on it, at the chicago congress show in i think 05. framed it and it looks so great, from far away a cool looking color scheme, then up close the lyrics all connected.

so if he keeps up with amazing quality artwork such as that we have nothing but the best to look forward to, as usual with mtr.

Papagolash

Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
it is a very nice poster

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
it is a very nice poster

nice collection!
i have all of those too, except the year zero.
i just mentioned the with teeth one, since its the only one i framed.
i'll get round to taking a pix and upload it... laziness.

Papagolash

Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
nice collection!
i have all of those too, except the year zero.
i just mentioned the with teeth one, since its the only one i framed.
i'll get round to taking a pix and upload it... laziness.

Thanks, I actually have a few more but ran out of sticky tack to put them up. This is what my apartment up at school looks like

stillbornstew

blogging loser
Jul 26, 2005
NOLA
one thing i miss about being in new orleans: popping in to the virgin, heading to the DVD section and seeing mr reznor perusing the aisles. coolest guy in the world, totally approachable. he's a tad taller than me too. :haha7: