mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
ew.com
'True Detective' Season 3 Revived, David Milch Joins Team
James Hibberd•@JamesHibberd
Exclusive

Posted on March 27, 2017 at 3:13pm EDT

After being off-the-air for two years — and following and plenty of speculation about its future — HBO’s True Detective is making some progress behind the scenes toward a new season.

EW has exclusively learned that creator Nic Pizzolatto has penned at least the first two episodes for a potential third edition of the acclaimed anthology crime drama.

We have also learned that Emmy-winning writer-producer David Milch — the mind behind dramas such as Deadwood and NYPD Blue — is coming on board to work with Pizzolatto.

The extent of Pizzolatto and Milch’s collaboration is still early days and not yet formalized. Obviously, Milch’s experience as a writer will be a key component, but for the record he’s not expected to serve as the True Detective showrunner (at this stage, there is no specified season 3 showrunner). Also keep in mind a third season has also not yet been greenlit, so new episodes are far from certain.

Of course, you already know True Detective launched to considerable acclaim and fan fascination in 2014 and then fell into a sophomore slump with the critics during its second season in 2015. Both seasons were successful in the ratings, but it’s been unclear whether Pizzolatto was going to produce a third season, and in what capacity he would serve in such an outing. In July 2016, HBO head of programming Casey Bloys assured “…both Nic and HBO are open to another season. I don’t think Nic has a take and he’s working on some other projects. We’re open to somebody else writing it and Nic supervising it. It’s a valuable franchise, it’s not dead, we just don’t have a take for a third season yet.”

Recently Matthew McConaughey — who starred in the first season — has publicly said he would be interested in reprising his role, but there’s no indication at this time what creative direction the next season would take.

And speaking of waiting a long time for dramas to return, any story about Milch and HBO cannot avoid addressing the extremely long-awaited return of 2006’s Deadwood (as a movie or miniseries). There is no movement on any follow-up to Milch’s former HBO show. And with star Ian McShane on the upcoming American Gods over on HBO’s premium cable rival Starz, I wouldn’t expect anything new on that front for longer still (McShane is locked up at least two years, according to a recent interview).

At any rate, adding at least some of Milch’s voice into the True Detective universe could be very cool for fans of both franchises if this newfound alliance between two strong voices works out.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I do hope they succeed in making a third season. It was highly entertaining.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Good.

We have also learned that Emmy-winning writer-producer David Milch — the mind behind dramas such as Deadwood and NYPD Blue — is coming on board to work with Pizzolatto.
Very good.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Recently Matthew McConaughey — who starred in the first season — has publicly said he would be interested in reprising his role, but there’s no indication at this time what creative direction the next season would take.
First season was outstanding. I wouldn't mind seeing him back, especially with Harrelson again. It really worked.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Big news. Jeremy Saulnier directing makes me instantly excited. @LiddyRules

‘True Detective’ Season 3 A Go At HBO, Premise Revealed, Jeremy Saulnier Joins Creator Nic Pizzolatto As Director

HBO has officially greenlighted a third season of Nic Pizzolatto’s crime anthology series True Detective. The pickup was considered a formality after the network earlier this summer closed a deal with Oscar winner Mahershala Ali to star in the new installment, with the green light contingent on locking in a director. Jeremy Saulnier(The Green Room) has now been set as a Season 3 director alongside Pizzolatto who will make his directorial debut on the series.

Season 3 of True Detective will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

“Nic has written truly remarkable scripts,” said HBO president Casey Bloys. “With his ambitious vision and Mahershala Ali and Jeremy Saulnier aboard, we are excited to embark on the next installment of True Detective.”

Like with the breakout original installment of True Detective,which Pizzolatto wrote by himself, he is the sole writer of the third season with the exception of episode 4 which he co-wrote with David Milch. (Milch had been helping on the show as part of his overall deal at HBO.) The exact episode count of Season 3 is still TBD as Pizzolatto is still writing; as of a month ago, five scripts had been completed. The first two seasons consisted of 8 episodes each.

“I’m tremendously thrilled to be working with artists at the level of Mahershala and Jeremy,” Pizzolatto said. “I hope the material can do justice to their talents, and we’re all very excited to tell this story.”

Pizzolatto, who also serves as showrunner, executive produces with Saulnier and returning executive producers Scott Stephens; Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, who toplined Season 1; Cary Joji Fukunaga, who directed Season 1; Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown.

Coincidentally, the Ozarks also is the setting of Netflix’s new crime thriller dramaOzark, which was just renewed for a second season.

Pizzolatto is repped by WME and Anonymous Content. Ali is repped by WME and Anonymous Content. Saulnier is represented by CAA and Anonymous Content.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Apr 14, 2004
Just outside NYC

‘True Detective’ Season 3 A Go At HBO, Premise Revealed, Jeremy Saulnier Joins Creator Nic Pizzolatto As Director

HBO has officially greenlighted a third season of Nic Pizzolatto’s crime anthology series True Detective. The pickup was considered a formality after the network earlier this summer closed a deal with Oscar winner Mahershala Ali to star in the new installment, with the green light contingent on locking in a director. Jeremy Saulnier(The Green Room) has now been set as a Season 3 director alongside Pizzolatto who will make his directorial debut on the series.

Season 3 of True Detective will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

“Nic has written truly remarkable scripts,” said HBO president Casey Bloys. “With his ambitious vision and Mahershala Ali and Jeremy Saulnier aboard, we are excited to embark on the next installment of True Detective.”

Like with the breakout original installment of True Detective,which Pizzolatto wrote by himself, he is the sole writer of the third season with the exception of episode 4 which he co-wrote with David Milch. (Milch had been helping on the show as part of his overall deal at HBO.) The exact episode count of Season 3 is still TBD as Pizzolatto is still writing; as of a month ago, five scripts had been completed. The first two seasons consisted of 8 episodes each.

“I’m tremendously thrilled to be working with artists at the level of Mahershala and Jeremy,” Pizzolatto said. “I hope the material can do justice to their talents, and we’re all very excited to tell this story.”

Pizzolatto, who also serves as showrunner, executive produces with Saulnier and returning executive producers Scott Stephens; Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, who toplined Season 1; Cary Joji Fukunaga, who directed Season 1; Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown.

Coincidentally, the Ozarks also is the setting of Netflix’s new crime thriller dramaOzark, which was just renewed for a second season.

Pizzolatto is repped by WME and Anonymous Content. Ali is repped by WME and Anonymous Content. Saulnier is represented by CAA and Anonymous Content.

We will see how this goes... :meh:

Muscles

Jul 25, 2005
It can't be as bad as season 2. NP had a lot of time to learn from that mistake.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

Neat.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
It can't be as bad as season 2. NP had a lot of time to learn from that mistake.
It was virtually impossible to top Alexandra Daddario's nude scenes in Season 1, nothing they could have done could compare.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Seriously, is there a story featuring Nic Pizzolatto out there where he's not clashing with someone?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005