TRUMP PRESIDENT NAAAHHH!!! and the Trail of Delicious Liberal Tears

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Committees are being formed, conferences are being conducted, polls are being made.

It's way too early, but it seems like presidential election season is here.

Romney to tell supporters his 2016 plans Friday

Washington (CNN)Former Republican Presidential nominee Mitt Romney has made a decision on whether to go forward with a third presidential bid and will tell to supporters which way he is going in a Friday morning call, a source familiar with Romney's plans tells CNN.

Another Romney source said "the call is an 'update' call with finance, political, policy and grassroots leadership around the country." While Romney will not officially announce his plans for 2016, he will clarify whether he is moving towards a run or pulling back from the prospect.

The news of the call was first reported by Bloomberg News, which highlighted an email that went out to supporters Thursday night inviting them to dial in.

The call comes as Romney is facing deep skepticism from some quarters of the Republican party over his interest in another run for president. His surprise announcement to donors earlier this month that he's interested in making another run for the White House upended the developing 2016 GOP primary field, freezing Republican staff and donors who were torn between their loyalties to the 2012 nominee and a new crop of potential contenders.

Even some former supporters and campaign officials expressed concerns that Romney wasn't the best option to take on expected Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, whom the GOP plans to portray as old news and out of touch — both characterizations that could dog the former Massachusetts governor if he runs again as well.

A longtime supporter, who spoke with Romney in the past week, says "he knows because of all the pressure out there" he needs to be definitive sooner rather than later. By pressure, the supporter, who was not aware of Romney's decision Friday, says he means the pressure from others, mostly but not just former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, to sign up donors and key operatives and activists.

The decision this week of a top Romney operative in Iowa to sign up with Bush's campaign was the latest in a series of defections, raising doubts on Romney's chances going forward.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/30/politics/romney-2016-call/

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Republicans See Opportunity In Run-Up To 2016 Election
Donald Lambro | Jan 30, 2015

• Share on Facebook 2
  • 4 SHARES

WASHINGTON -- The crowded race for the Republican 2016 presidential nomination has begun, and it promises to be a massive political assault on Barack Obama's failed presidency.

Unlike the largely weak, untested lineup that sought the GOP nomination in 2012, the emerging field of candidates is mostly made up of experienced contenders who've run state governments and have shown they know how to get things done.

America gambled on a rashly inexperienced freshman lawmaker with no executive background and who had never run anything in his life. The result is a nation plagued by enormous troubles, from a chronically underperforming, job-challenged economy to a growing global terrorist menace that threatens our homeland more than ever before.

This field of contenders also includes some freshmen senators, who, like Obama, know how to deliver a pretty effective speech. But my guess is the voters aren't going to nominate one of them -- not until they've built a record of achievement behind their ambitions.

What makes the GOP's rapidly expanding field of White House aspirants impressive is that so many of them are, or have been, governors of big states, with lengthy records of accomplishment. They know how to move their agenda through the political process -- often in the face of hostile, Democratic-run legislatures -- because they've done it.

These are not namby-pamby guys who -- like Obama -- will have to throw up their hands and run the government solely through go-it-alone, constitutionally questionable executive actions.

Indeed, the Republican lineup is growing by leaps and bounds to the point where the field will likely be the largest in modern political history. At least 25 potential candidates are considering entering the race.

But the betting in this corner is that the governors, and some former governors, will be among the strongest in the race. Among them:

-- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, who is signing up some of his party's top campaign strategists and has already set up a campaign fundraising committee called Our American Revival.

If the GOP is looking for someone who knows how to play hardball, Walker has all the credentials. He's enacted sweeping budget, pension and labor reforms, survived a bitter, union-led recall election, and then went on to win a second term.

-- Ohio Gov. John Kasich not only comes from a pivotal electoral state, he's transformed it, pounding its once severely high unemployment rate down to a full-employment 5 percent.

He's a pro-free-market, budget-cutting, low-taxes kind of guy who's cut the state's income tax by 10 percent and reignited its economy.

-- Then there's New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, now a two-term governor, who's been in a nonstop political battle with a tax-happy Democratic legislature. He's restrained state spending, fought a gas tax hike and survived the Bridgegate scandal.

The combative, battle-scarred Christie has honed his negotiating skills in a bitterly divided Democratic state that may be the toughest training ground for higher office. And he won a second term to boot. He's running.

The list includes other gubernatorial heavyweights like Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, and former governors Jeb Bush of Florida, Mitt Romney of Massachusetts and Mike Huckabee of Arkansas.

All of these candidates have strengths in their own right, and weaknesses as well.

Bush faces fierce opposition from his party's conservatives on immigration reform. But in a speech in San Francisco last week, Bush drew strong, sustained applause when he called for reforming immigration laws to offer an earned path to legal status for the nation's illegal immigrants.

Bush also made clear that the thrust of his campaign will be the economy and an obese, debt-ridden government that needs to be put on crash diet.

"Sixty percent of Americans believe that we're still in a recession," he said. "They're not dumb. It's because they are in a recession. They're frustrated ... paychecks are weak. Millions of Americans want to move forward in their lives -- they want to rise -- but they're losing hope."

"It is time to challenge every aspect of how government works -- how it taxes, how it regulates, how it spends -- to open up economic opportunity for all," Bush said.

Republicans have a number of things going for them in this election cycle, and that's why they're drawing so many candidates into the race.

First and foremost is Obama's presidency and a weak, listless economy that few observers believe will change in any meaningful or dramatic way over the next two years.

But top Republican strategists are betting on something else that's never mentioned in any of the analyses in the major newspapers: After eight painful years of the Obama presidency, the voters will be looking for a new leader with a new set of policies.

It is unlikely that the country will elect someone whose policies are as close to Obama's as possible. Like Hillary Clinton, who has supported Obama throughout his mistake-prone, remedial presidency.

But that means next year's Republican primary voters must nominate a skillful, experienced candidate who runs on a broadly popular agenda for change that appeals to the widest electorate.

No issue is more compelling than an economy that has left tens of millions of Americans behind, produced record levels of poverty, and has shrunk a once-mighty labor force that has given up looking for work.

A close second to that is a dysfunctional, waste-ridden, bloated government that is living far beyond its means and is in need of a top-to-bottom housecleaning.

The candidate who aggressively runs on both of these issues is going to become the next president of the United States.

http://townhall.com/columnists/dona...ity-in-runup-to-2016-election-n1950279/page/2

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Mitt Romney decides against 2016 presidential race
Catalina Camia
, USA TODAY 11:07 a.m. EST January 30, 2015

(Photo: Rogelio V. Solis, AP)

576 CONNECT 175 TWEETLINKEDIN 39 COMMENTEMAILMORE
WASHINGTON — Mitt Romney plans to tell supporters that he's decided against a third presidential campaign, a Romney aide said Friday.

"After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I've decided it is best to give other leaders in the party the opportunity to become our next nominee," Romney will tell supporters during a conference call.

The Romney aide confirmed the 2012 presidential nominee's decision and requested anonymity before the announcement is made. Romney's prepared remarks were posted on Twitter by conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt and confirmed by the Romney aide.

Romney upended the 2016 GOP race when he told a small group of donors on Jan. 9 that he was seriously considering a third presidential bid.

He had been working to solidify support among the supporters and staffers who backed him in previous races. But several top donors and strategists were flocking to Jeb Bush, who appeals to the same business leaders in the GOP establishment.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/.../mitt-romney-2016-presidential-race/22577601/

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Oh no! Double post!!!

Last edited:

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Catalina Camia

WASHINGTON — Mitt Romney plans to tell supporters that he's decided against a third presidential campaign, a Romney aide said Friday.

"After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I've decided it is best to give other leaders in the party the opportunity to become our next nominee," Romney will tell supporters during a conference call.

The Romney aide confirmed the 2012 presidential nominee's decision and requested anonymity before the announcement is made. Romney's prepared remarks were posted on Twitter by conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt and confirmed by the Romney aide.

Romney upended the 2016 GOP race when he told a small group of donors on Jan. 9 that he was seriously considering a third presidential bid.

He had been working to solidify support among the supporters and staffers who backed him in previous races. But several top donors and strategists were flocking to Jeb Bush, who appeals to the same business leaders in the GOP establishment.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/.../mitt-romney-2016-presidential-race/22577601/
Catalina Camia

We heard you!

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Romney to tell supporters his 2016 plans Friday
Phase 1. Drink
Phase 2. Campaign
Phase 3. Lie
Phase 4. Debate
Phase 5. Lie
Phase 6. Lie
Phase 7. Lie
Phase 8. Lose
Phase 9. Drink
Even some former supporters and campaign officials expressed concerns that Romney wasn't the best option
They should've expressed that concern in 2012.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Phase 1. Drink
Phase 2. Campaign
Phase 3. Lie
Phase 4. Debate
Phase 5. Lie
Phase 6. Lie
Phase 7. Lie
Phase 8. Lose
Phase 9. Drink

They should've expressed that concern in 2012.
Phase 5 is Derringers, sir.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Kerry opens door to 2016 White House bid, but just slightly

Secretary of State John Kerry said in an interview broadcast on Sunday that he has not ruled out a 2016 White House bid, which would put him in a wide-open Democrat primary field behind front-runner Hillary Clinton.

Kerry, the party’s presidential nominee in 2004, told NBC’s “Meet the Press” that “nobody ever says never.”

However, he said he could think of “no scenario whatsoever” in which he would start such a campaign.

“I haven't thought about it. And I'm, as you can tell, pretty busy," Kerry said from Germany, where he is participating in the Munich Security Conference.

To be sure, as the country’s top diplomat, Kerry has been busy traveling around the world to help resolve an array on international crisis and situations, including the battle against Islamic extremist groups, the Iran nuclear deal, a potential Israel-Palestinian peace agreement and Ukraine’s battle against Russian-backed separatists.

Among those being mentioned as potential Democratic primary challengers to Clinton, a former secretary of State and 2008 White House candidate, are former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Vice President Joe Biden, who ran for president in 1988 and 2008.

Clinton has not declared a candidacy.

Kerry, a former Massachusetts senator, has previously suggested that his current job is his last in politics.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ouse-bid-but-just-slightly/?intcmp=latestnews

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'll get excited when a candidate proposes FULL REPEAL of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the National Firearms Act of 1934. That means no background checks, no tax stamps for NFA weapons. None of that bullshit.

That's the only issue I will get excited about. Any less, I'll just grudgingly vote for whomever isn't Hillary.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Kerry has zero chance. That old ghoul would be 73 in 2016. Way too old.

But beyond that, there's really not many options beyond Hillary and Warren, who still claims she won't run. Biden would be fun as all hell though. I mean, this country is doomed anyway...might as well go out laughing at all of the stupid shit this blundering idiot does and says.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
So I guess Ted Cruz is in, eh?

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Based on the Dem and GOP potentials I think we're pretty much fucked either way.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Rand Paul is the only one who would motivate me to vote even though I decided to never vote again.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Rand Paul is the only one who would motivate me to vote even though I decided to never vote again.
Rand Paul is a wackadoo.

Thankfully, he's already said he's not running. Then something about flying saucers and jello in his pants. Hard to keep up with him, you know?

MTJonny

Donator
Apr 24, 2009
Greater Seattle area
Rand Paul is a wackadoo.

Thankfully, he's already said he's not running. Then something about flying saucers and jello in his pants. Hard to keep up with him, you know?
As much as I hate agreeing with Kirk, Rand Paul is currently my favorite candidate. He makes more sense the majority of others I've seen. Explain how he is a "wackadoo".

Also, he's never said he's not running, no idea where you are getting that from.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
As much as I hate agreeing with Kirk, Rand Paul is currently my favorite candidate. He makes more sense the majority of others I've seen. Explain how he is a "wackadoo".

Also, he's never said he's not running, no idea where you are getting that from.
A couple of the News nets (Fox and MSNBC) were running a headline last week that he said he wasn't running. Or denying that he's running, whatever. They may have been blowing it out of proportion. Just as long as we don't elect his isolationist ass.

MTJonny

Donator
Apr 24, 2009
Greater Seattle area
A couple of the News nets (Fox and MSNBC) were running a headline last week that he said he wasn't running. Or denying that he's running, whatever. They may have been blowing it out of proportion. Just as long as we don't elect his isolationist ass.
That's not remotely close to true, he is rumored to be announcing on April 7th. Also, if you are just reading headlines to get news (especially from the big news sites), I can see how you would mislabel him as a isolationist, but that is also not true.

Just to get a bearing on where you are, who's foreign policy do you like?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
That's not remotely close to true, he is rumored to be announcing on April 7th. Also, if you are just reading headlines to get news (especially from the big news sites), I can see how you would mislabel him as a isolationist, but that is also not true.

Just to get a bearing on where you are, who's foreign policy do you like?
I don't have a good answer for that. I can't think of anyone who's foreign policy I like. It needs to start with the U.S. become the power we were before Clinton and Obama gutted our military and reputation. Bumping our military up to the point where we can fight a two front war would be a good start. More stick and bark, less doves and bubblegum.

I'd have to hear one I like before I could tell you I like it.

Last I heard (granted, it was a couple years ago) he wanted to pull our bases out of all foreign countries. Which is fucking nuts.