Tusk by Kevin Smith

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/kevin-smith-readies-walrus-movie

Kevin Smith Readies Walrus Movie
Clerks writer-director planning movie based on Gumtree advert.
by Chris Tilly
July 31, 2013
We’re a bit late to the party on this one, but as it’s such an intriguing story, we thought we’d post…

Following the climax of Comic-Con last week, writer-director Kevin Smith took to Facebook to explain that his next film – Tusk – is set to shoot in Los Angeles and on location in Canada in September, in the hope that it will be finished in time for the Sundance Film Festival.

The crazy comes from the fact that the film’s premise comes from a by-now infamous Gumtree advert in which a Brighton resident sought a lodger to dress up as a walrus.

In the original advert, the man explains that he spent three years alone on St. Lawrence Island, where he befriended a Walrus named Gregory. He explains “I have, over the last few months, been constructing a realistic walrus costume, which should fit most people of average proportions, and allow for full and easy movement in character. The take on the position as my lodger, you must be prepared to wear the walrus for approximately two hours each day.”

He continues “Whilst in the walrus costume you must be a walrus – there must be no speaking in a human voice, and any communication must entail making utterances in the voice of a walrus.”

Smith was alerted to the advert, discussed it on one of his many podcasts, and soon enough a plot was taking shape.

“The listing got my creative juices flowing” he explains on Facebook. “And I began reconstructing the whole thing as an old British Hammer horror film, in which a mad scientist intends to sew some hapless lodger into counterfeit blubber, creating a chimera in an effort to answer the ultimate riddle, ‘Is man, indeed, a walrus at heart?!,’”

Re-locating the story to the backwoods of Canada, Smith has already cast Red State star Michael Parks as the man with the blubber fetish, while he’s also written a part for Quentin Tarantino – Guy Lapointe, “the French gumshoe on the trail of the human-walrus.”

Blumhouse Productions – the company behind the likes of Insidious, Sinister and the Paranormal Activity movies – will oversee production, while Smith is hoping that effects maestro Greg Nictoero will craft the walrus suit.

From Gumtree-to-podcast-to-film makes the Tusk journey somewhat unique – let us know what you think of the concept in the comments, and check out the below video in which Smith talks Tusk and also discusses Clerks 3.
I gotta know what strain he smokes, because the podcast on this was great.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The man with a billion last movies.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Don't ever take Kevin Smith at his word on anything.

Especially since he's become a chuckling stoner who cries at the drop of a hat and who's once razor-sharp wit has been dulled like an old butter knife.
He does cry amazingly easily. I was listening to him interview Kevin Conroy (the voice of Batman) and when he starts weeping during the interview, it becomes really uncomfortable.

And he discussed Tusk during his Comic-Con panel... I'm sure this will be great. And by great, I mean HitW-able.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
It a Biopic?

Get it? coz he's fat like a tusked animal

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The man with a billion last movies.
To be fair to Kevin, he said he wasn't going to make movies anymore because he didn't have any more stories to tell. It seems perfectly reasonable to then become inspired by something.

Really don't get the recent Kevin hate.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Where's the cute little Slapshot type movie starring Yimmy, that turned into a 3 month mini-series for some reason?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
He does cry amazingly easily. I was listening to him interview Kevin Conroy (the voice of Batman) and when he starts weeping during the interview, it becomes really uncomfortable.
Why did he start crying? Because Batman: TAS means a lot to him? Because Batman TAS began in 1992 and Clerks started filming in 1993, so I doubt it had a childhood connect to him.

To be fair to Kevin, he said he wasn't going to make movies anymore because he didn't have any more stories to tell. It seems perfectly reasonable to then become inspired by something.
Then don't say you're not going to make movies anymore. If there's a chance you might want to tell a story in film (and between Hit Somebody, Clerks III, and Tusk clearly there is), wait until something inspires you. Directors disappear for decades at a time. Don't say you're done when you have two movies and an epic miniseries in pre-production. It's the same as Howard saying he's quitting radio and signing up.

Really don't get the recent Kevin hate.
I think part of it is his crappy movies. Also, his stoner persona has turned off a lot of people, including stoners.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Why did he start crying? Because Batman: TAS means a lot to him? Because Batman TAS began in 1992 and Clerks started filming in 1993, so I doubt it had a childhood connect to him.

Then don't say you're not going to make movies anymore. If there's a chance you might want to tell a story in film (and between Hit Somebody, Clerks III, and Tusk clearly there is), wait until something inspires you. Directors disappear for decades at a time. Don't say you're done when you have two movies and an epic miniseries in pre-production. It's the same as Howard saying he's quitting radio and signing up.

I think part of it is his crappy movies. Also, his stoner persona has turned off a lot of people, including stoners.
Never saw Red State, but i heard it wasn't good. Aside from Gigli, I can't think of a movie he's done I'd consider bad. Even Cop Out was funny when the premadonna wasn't fucking up the vibe.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Never saw Red State, but i heard it wasn't good. Aside from Gigli, I can't think of a movie he's done I'd consider bad. Even Cop Out was funny when the premadonna wasn't on screen.
Aside from Zach and Miri (which I'll admit to kind of liking even if it did feel like him trying to do Apatow), all his fare post Jay and Silent Bob has been truly terrible. And Cop Out wasn't funny.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
It was actually from something Conroy did in the show Justice League Unlimited. You see, Batman stayed with a girl who was dying and stayed there until she did pass. He found his performance moving and starting blubbering, embarrassing everyone.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Aside from Zach and Miri (which I'll admit to kind of liking even if it did feel like him trying to do Apatow), all his fare post Jay and Silent Bob has been truly terrible. And Cop Out wasn't funny.
The only other movie he's made since J&SB was Clerks II, which was funny.
Cop out was funny. Not as funny as his other films, but funny.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The only other movie he's made since J&SB was Clerks II, which was funny.
Cop out was funny. Not as funny as his other films, but funny.
I'm not merely talking about being not funny, I'm talking about terrible. Jersey Girl, Clerks II, Cop Out, and Red State were all unfunny and terrible (and yes, I know Red State wasn't supposed to be a comedy).

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm not merely talking about being not funny, I'm talking about terrible. Jersey Girl, Clerks II, Cop Out, and Red State were all unfunny and terrible (and yes, I know Red State wasn't supposed to be a comedy).
You are insane, Clerks II was damn funny. Cop out was "meh" funny.

Forgot about Jersey Girl, never saw it.

I give Red State a pass. It was supposed to be an arthouse style film, and they always suck.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
You are insane, Clerks II was damn funny. Cop out was "meh" funny.

Forgot about Jersey Girl, never saw it.
I genuinely despise Clerks II. Cop Out wasn't meh funny. It wasn't funny at all.

I give Red State a pass. It was supposed to be an arthouse style film, and they always suck.
Now I see why we have a divergence of opinion.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I genuinely despise Clerks II. Cop Out wasn't meh funny. It wasn't funny at all.

Now I see why we have a divergence of opinion.
I guess so. Art House is the punk of the film world. If it isn't shit, it doesn't fit the genre. I can't think of a single Art House film that wasn't shit.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
And how do people not find Clerks II funny?

I think maybe Clerks II would be held in higher regard if it wasn't Clerks II and was just done as it's own thing. Of course, then people would be yelling "It's too much like Clerks!"

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I guess so. Art House is the punk of the film world. If it isn't shit, it doesn't fit the genre. I can't think of a single Art House film that wasn't shit.
I'd make you a list, but then I remembered you called Cop Out funny.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
And how do people not find Clerks II funny?
By watching it.

Also, Clerks could possibly be considered art house.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
By watching it.

Also, Clerks could possibly be considered art house.
Nah, it lacks douchy editing and dancing naked wood nymphs. It also has a perceivable plotline.

EDIT: And overdubbing. Arthouse has to have some sort of overdubbing.

"My mind. my mind is failing me. Too many thoughts. Is that an orange. The bunny is purple."
*slide cut, add color to B&W scene."

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Nah, it lacks douchy editing and dancing naked wood nymphs. It also has a perceivable plotline.
Okay, so when you say "art house film," you mean "I have no idea what I'm talking about."