TV Switches to Black/White

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Recently moved. Hooked up the old 360 and the Wii. Both are via the old AV cables (the lame red, yellow, white ones).

I turn on my crappy 40" Samsung 780p TV to use the game systems, and the screens colors are now black and white. There's also no sound. When watching a normal TV show, there's no issue. But any change of component, and black and white colors abound.

To add the mystery, I bought an hdmi cable for tv to xbox. I figured "fuck av cables". It worked. 360 works perfect, yet the Wii with its av cable setup is still grey screened. Takes me to the main menu fine, but everthing is in black and white.

Side note: the av wires are hooked up right. Dunno wtf is going on.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Recently moved. Hooked up the old 360 and the Wii. Both are via the old AV cables (the lame red, yellow, white ones).

I turn on my crappy 40" Samsung 780p TV to use the game systems, and the screens colors are now black and white. There's also no sound. When watching a normal TV show, there's no issue. But any change of component, and black and white colors abound.

To add the mystery, I bought an hdmi cable for tv to xbox. I figured "fuck av cables". It worked. 360 works perfect, yet the Wii with its av cable setup is still grey screened. Takes me to the main menu fine, but everthing is in black and white.

Change the date on the Wii to 2013 from 1955?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Are you sure the blue and green aren't switched?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I also had a TV where there were AV settings in the menu that changed some shit.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California

I know you said the cables are connected correctly, but the first think I thought was the yellow and white cables where switched. They're tough to tell apart sometimes and that would also result in no audio.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT

So two different sources, and assuming different RCA cables both had black and white image and no sound? Seems like the problem is on the TV end, can you try another source like a cable box or DVD player. Does it do it on all YELLOW "composite" inputs or does the TV have just one input, check on the side too. Some TVs have menu settings that can be independent of other sources so check and make sure its not something simple like the color is just turned all the way down. Look for a reset setting in the menu as sometimes it can correct weird errors. The fact that there is no sound seems like there is an analog signal processing issue with the TV. Since HDMI works the digital side of the signal board seems to be working fine.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
TV is fine, you were having a stroke.

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
No secondary set of inputs for the av wires. Just the one area. Nothing on the side. Tossed a picture reset in also. No go.

Apparently there's a wii attachment you can buy that makes the will go to hdmi. Going to try and track one down. How the fuck shitty Nintendo can make a system with no hdmi outlet is prolific.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
No secondary set of inputs for the av wires. Just the one area. Nothing on the side. Tossed a picture reset in also. No go.

Apparently there's a wii attachment you can buy that makes the will go to hdmi. Going to try and track one down. How the fuck shitty Nintendo can make a system with no hdmi outlet is prolific.
Looks like its just a bad "Main" board. It would be interesting to see if "component" (x3 RCA connectors for video: Red, Green, Blue +Red/White for sound) was working. Your set may have a shared yellow/green if it is a newer. If you can do HDMI for everything then that is good. It usually fails the other way around, where HDMI fails while the analog inputs work fine.

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA

No one needs HDMI for the Wii's shitty 240p resolution.

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Would agree with a shitty main board. Whatever the cause, it's up and running now. Just ar random.

The wii does have shitty resolution. But when you can play the 30 or so great games across two systems, its good to have it up and running.