TWC vs CBS/Showtime

ericd

I'm a real fucko
Aug 21, 2009
N.C.
Any other Time Warner subscribers who lost Showtime/ TMC channels last night? Apparently TWC and CBS are in a pricing scrap and as usual the subscribers are caught in the middle. I lost Showtime and TMC channels last night but all the regular CBS channels are still on. I don't watch either channel much except for the occasional Saturday night boxing on Showtime so it doesn't affect me much.

I'm really trying to figure who's being a bigger scumbag through all this. TWC for cutting off the channels (when they didn't have to) or CBS for demanding an airing fee from TWC for the normally free over the air channels.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
TWC also raised the prices on their modem leases for all customers this week so I'll go out on a limb and say they are the assholes here.

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006
If they drop AMC We riot.

ericd

I'm a real fucko
Aug 21, 2009
N.C.
I don't think CBS owns AMC but if things get real pissy CBS could pull all of the Viacom content

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
At least you can call TWC and have your inquiries answered by a friendly customer service representative...

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
TWC sucks, but this is ALL CBS's fault. They want twice as much as ABC and NBC gets for retransmission fees just because their content is more popular *now*. Having their shit on cable is just a convenience, especially in the markets that are affected. CBS knows that if people want to watch the 92nd season of NCIS bad enough, they will just put up an antenna. They know most people will see the cable companies as the bad guys, when it's really this nickel-and-dime bullshit from content providers that drives prices up. If CBS gets their way, your bill will go up by $1 and you'll blame Time Warner.

The FCC could put an end to this bullshit by just mandating that broadcast channels are required to be carried by cable companies to customers within a certain radius for free. The networks should be happy that more customers are potential Nielsen viewers and quit trying to extort every last shekel out of the cable companies. *Maybe* something could be worked out where customers that couldn't otherwise get a broadcast signal would pay a little extra. But fucking over people that can get your shit for free at a higher quality by going to RadioShack seems like a complete dick move.

If CBS wins, where does it end? Every network will want a bigger piece of the pie whenever viewership numbers shift in their favor.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
With One World Trade Center nearing completion, the broadcast antennas lost are suppose to be working soon.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Raycom Media is also having a dispute right now with Dish Network in 36 different cities (53 chans total). These are local stations which could be any one of or multiple CBS/NBC/FOX/MNT/CW. Meanwhile customers who have an antenna will pick these up for free, or customers with the local cable co or Directv are still working.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
I had no clue The Weather Channel had this much power.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Supposedly Direct TV is taking Time Warner's side in this dispute. So you know CBS must be in the wrong if makes a company agree with one of its competitors.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Doesn't TWC do this a lot? It seems they're always fighting with someone or another.

ericd

I'm a real fucko
Aug 21, 2009
N.C.
Doesn't TWC do this a lot? It seems they're always fighting with someone or another.
Yeah, they do seem to do this with one or more networks at least once a year but this is the first time I can rememeber them actually pulling the content off the air

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Its not only Time Warner, it happens with other cable and satellite companies. Last year, it was Cablevision against Fox. I think Dish pulled AMC right before Breaking Bad's season premiere.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
As much as I'd like to bash cunty Time Warner, this really is CBS. Fuck them in their Dexter and Ray Donovan fuckholes. The thing is, who gives a fuck about CBS local programming....it's only Showtime most people miss due to its series programming.

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006
That's funny. A whistleblower reveals the extent of government surveillance in the U.S. and everyone goes about their business like nothing happened. But Time-Warner cancels CBS and everyone is ready to tip cars and throw molotov cocktails.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
That's funny. A whistleblower reveals the extent of government surveillance in the U.S. and everyone goes about their business like nothing happened. But Time-Warner cancels CBS and everyone is ready to tip cars and throw molotov cocktails.
Because without TV we have to think about the hard stuff. Hard stuff sucks.

ericd

I'm a real fucko
Aug 21, 2009
N.C.
I see TWC and CBS reached an agreement. I wonder how much more my cable bill's going to go up? Only good thing out of this... one month without Showtime and I didn't even realize it was gone. At least now I know how I'm going to offset the inevitable price gouge