Twitter Declares War On Conservative Media, ‘Unverifies’ Breitbart Tech Editor Milo Yiannopoulos

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/...ative-media-unverifies-breitbart-tech-editor/

Twitter Declares War On Conservative Media, ‘Unverifies’ Breitbart Tech Editor Milo Yiannopoulos

by Allum Bokhari9 Jan 20163390

Twitter has unverified the account of Breitbart technology editor Milo Yiannopoulos, effectively declaring war on conservative media by punishing the outspoken commentator for his views. This comes despite CEO Jack Dorsey declaring that Twitter “stands for freedom of expression” just a few months ago.

Yiannopoulos was informed via email that due to “recent violations of the Twitter Rules,” the blue tick marking his account as verified by Twitter had been removed. He was not told what rule he had violated, nor if there was any appeal procedure.

I've been sat on the naughty table! pic.twitter.com/2ppJ3X4J62

— Milo Yiannopoulos (@Nero) January 8, 2016

I have a feeling that Twitter is gearing up to purge conservatives. Unverifying me is the first step toward a permanent ban.

This is a clear message to anyone who believes in free speech: we're not wanted on Twitter. Time to start planning for the future.

Verified Twitter accounts are typically given to well-known figures as a defence against impersonation. They are distinguished from other Twitter accounts by a small blue checkmark in the top-right hand corner of a user’s profile.

Yiannopoulos, whose public profile has been soaring since September 2014, was verified in mid-2015 and is the subject of dozens, if not hundreds, of parody and fan accounts. He is listed on the Drudge Report as one of Matt Drudge’s favourite writers and is one of the rising stars of libertarian and conservative media.

His unverification appears to be the first time a major media personality has been stripped of a blue badge by Twitter. The company refuses to be drawn on why it had taken the popular journalist and commentator’s verified status away.

Yiannopoulos’s suspension led to an immediate and massive global backlash. The #JeSuisMilo hashtag was created and quickly trended in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Scandinavia, Germany, and over a dozen other countries with over 50,000 tweets posted to it. Within a few hours, it was the #1 top trending topic in the U.K, U.S, and Canada and it trended globally at the #3 spot for several hours.

Overnight #JeSuisMilo rose to #3 trending topic worldwide, with over 60,000 tweets.

— Milo Yiannopoulos (@Nero) January 9, 2016

Fans also demonstrated the necessity of verification by changing their usernames and profile pictures to copies of Yiannopoulos’s profile en masse. Absent the blue tick, it is now difficult to spot the real Milo from the thousands of tribute accounts on Twitter.

#JeSuisMilo now #4 trending topic in the US. https://t.co/JGNjdUEehk

— Milo Yiannopoulos (@Nero) January 9, 2016

@nero #JeSuisMilo So many Milo's, so few mirrors. pic.twitter.com/KPNV6q7GEg

— Milo Yiannopoulos (@Greglharder) January 9, 2016

Hi! My name is What? My name is Who? My name is SLIM GAILY

— Milo Yiannopoulos (@jtLOL) January 9, 2016

Damn shame Support un-verified @nero because now there's no way I can tell who's the real one. #jesuismilo pic.twitter.com/YY4ujYWAqa

— The Cringe Channel (@cringe_channel) January 9, 2016

The outpouring of anger at Twitter is driven in part by Yiannopoulos’ unusually dedicated fanbase, but mostly by long-standing concerns about political bias at Twitter. It comes on the heels of the recent, inexplicable suspension of conservative firebrand and Hollywood actor Adam Baldwin.

There is also a sense of precedent: if not the first, this is certainly the most high-profile unverification of a prominent media figure to date in Twitter’s history. Users see it as an example of bias on Twitter’s part, the latest in a string of attacks on conservative and libertarian Twitter accounts.

eating at Caf

— Jack (@Jack) March 30, 2006

The #JeSuisMilo hashtag is advancing at such speed that many on Twitter are calling it a “second #GamerGate,” a reference to a long-running protest hashtag that Yiannopoulos is associated with.

Another, more troubling parallel for Twitter is that aggrieved users are now planning to complain to their sponsors and affiliates.

If @Nero isn't re-verified or more properly explained to about his "violation," I'm going to ask @BlogBash sponsors to suspend ad dollars.

— Ali A. Akbar (@ali) January 9, 2016

I'll be emailing folks on the @gov team and encouraging my fellow consultants to do the same. Twitter needs to name @nero's "violation."

— Ali A. Akbar (@ali) January 9, 2016

There are no signs of an organised campaign to email sponsors, advertisers and affiliates yet, but it’s a tactic that Yiannopoulos followers — many of whom are GamerGate veterans — are highly experienced at.

Big hitters in Silicon Valley, such as angel investor and serial entrepeneur Jason Calacanis, have also condemned Twitter’s decision. It seems the social media company has awoken more than just Yiannopoulos’ die-hard fans: it’s now drawing fire from some of the most respected names in tech.

Is This a first? : @twitter takes away someone's verified status (blue check mark); no specific reason given Nero? https://t.co/iFdhUqHMJm

— jason (@Jason) January 9, 2016

3/Twitter policing speech is the beginning of the end of the platform; 'word policing' will result in exponential trolling// cat & mouse

— jason (@Jason) January 9, 2016

@Nero Raises the tantalizing scenario that your account has been taking over by an imposter who can exactly replicate your mojo!

— Marc Andreessen (@pmarca) January 9, 2016

The scandal could scarcely have come at a worse time for Twitter. The company’s stock price recently dipped below $20 – its lowest point ever.

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 13.44.42

There is continued concern that Twitter’s user growth is flatlining, and this will not be helped by a perception that it is biased against critics of progressivism and feminism like Yiannopoulos, particularly at a time when both movements are increasingly unpopular with the public.

Sympathy for progressive radicals is rapidly evaporating in academia, on the web, in arts and entertainment, and even on the mainstream Left, with President Obama recently criticising liberal college students for being too “coddled.” Younger movements like cultural libertarianism, of which Yiannopoulos is a leading figure, look set to capture the shifting tides of public opinion.

Twitter may just be following protocol. But to many observers, it doesn’t look that way. It looks as if Twitter, whose CEO is known for his progressive politics, has abandoned any pretence of neutrality and thrown its lot in with social justice warriors — at the very moment public opinion has shifted decisively against them.

It wouldn’t be the first time such a blunder has occurred. Twitter, whose notoriously opaque user guidelines and seemingly arbitrary rule enforcement have left many wondering if the platform can be trusted in the future, did not respond to requests for comment.

Follow Allum Bokhari @LibertarianBlue on Twitter, and download Milo Alert! for Android to be kept up to date on his latest articles.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jes...s-unverified-twitter-blue-tick_b_8944126.html

Thank You Twitter - By Unverifying Milo Yiannopoulos, You Are Standing Up for Women Online
Posted: 09/01/2016 14:32 GMT Updated: 10/01/2016 13:59 GMT

Tweet
Comment

Print
Life can be cruel sometimes. Journalist Milo Yiannopoulos was last night hit with the devastating news that, due to breaking the rules, his account had been unverified and his blue tick had been removed.

I've been sat on the naughty table! pic.twitter.com/2ppJ3X4J62

-- Milo Yiannopoulos (@Nero) January 8, 2016

In a step of unprecedented tastelessness, Milo's fans then co-opted a phrase that was used to pay tribute to the victims of a terrorist attack, and got #JeSuisMilo trending globally.

If you haven't heard of Milo, he's kind of like Katie Hopkins except he's never come second on Celebrity Big Brother. He posts insightful tweets like this, thinks feminists are 'bullies', and was an advocate for GamerGate, a shining example of humanity's capacity for being really shit sometimes.
It's perhaps an understatement to say he's not a huge fan of feminists. Just two days ago he shared this:

pic.twitter.com/3TMAQxTt7n

-- Milo Yiannopoulos (@Nero) January 7, 2016

He's basically a professional troll. In the words of Liam Neeson, he does this for a living.

Twitter states the purpose of a verified account is to 'establish the authenticity of key individuals and brands on Twitter'. They haven't explained their reasoning behind unverifying Milo's account, but Milo himself is even more paranoid than the Labour party right now that there is a conspiracy to bring him down.

I have a feeling that Twitter is gearing up to purge conservatives. Unverifying me is the first step toward a permanent ban.

This is a clear message to anyone who believes in free speech: we're not wanted on Twitter. Time to start planning for the future.

Let's get one thing straight. This is not a freedom of speech issue. Milo still has a Twitter account, which he is still able to use to tweet to his 134,000 followers - which he has been doing, continuously, mostly just with photos of his own face.

So, since his claims that he's being censored are disingenuous, one can only assume that Milo's tantrum is because losing his blue badge feels like the loss of a status symbol. If he no longer has the blue tick, he is no longer seen as a key individual on Twitter. If he no longer has the blue tick, how do we know Milo Yiannopoulos really EXISTS? (Unfortunately, he does.)

For a man who has enjoyed the privilege of a large platform to be sent a clear message that his behaviour is unacceptable, I'm sure it feels pretty disorientating.

But if, as Milo believes, he has been unverified for his comments online, this is a victory for anyone who has watched social media descend into a cesspit of vulgar misogyny and savage provocation. It's a hugely positive step towards dealing with online trolls by making a conscious decision to refuse to legitimise them.

Social media is at its best when people engage in lively debate, share cool stuff, utilize it as a way to campaign on things they are passionate about, and make each other laugh. It's not great when it's used to harass individuals, stir up mobs, or spread hate.

Sadly, it's become a scary place to be a woman, but elsewhere steps are beginning to be taken to crack down on this behaviour. Labour's recent Reclaim the Internet campaign acknowledged that it wouldn't be okay for men to publicly threaten women all day every day in real life, so this must be stopped on the internet. I'm so happy to see Twitter is recognising this too.

I'll admit, I hesitated to write this blog, because I knew that Milo and his friends would come after me online. But then again, I'm sure they'd hate to prove me right.

I'm off to make a cup of tea before they pile in. Fortunately one of the privileges of having a verified account is that you can filter out tweets from people who don't have a blue tick.

Follow Jessie Thompson on Twitter: www.twitter.com/jessiecath

steve500

Regardless of any supposed violations, this is a passive aggressive girlfriend/ex move by Twitter. Either ban him outright or don't. Unless there is suddenly doubt that the account belongs to the guy, the verified removal doesn't seem to be the right move.

Floyd1977

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
See, this is the shit that's scary. That there is a large contingent of citizens that believe it is right to punish others for expressing opinions that aren't theirs.

Even scarier is that they very likely will emerge victorious in the not too distant future.

Their victories will be short lived once the lead starts to fly.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
In before Twitter claims technical issues.

See, this is the shit that's scary. That there is a large contingent of citizens that believe it is right to punish others for expressing opinions that aren't theirs.

Even scarier is that they very likely will emerge victorious in the not too distant future.
not trying to be 50/50 guy but while progressives are far worse at getting emo and wanting blood, the right crushed dixie chick CDs and blacklist them for for saying something bad about bush like he was their dad and forced chris daughtry to apologize to the troops for not wanting to sing an off script unrehearsed patriotic song on fox and friends...

the country is just infected with a faggot virus. social media may be the worst thing to even happen to the country.

Floyd1977

not trying to be 50/50 guy but while progressives are far worse at getting emo and wanting blood, the right crushed dixie chick CDs and blacklist them for for saying something bad about bush like he was their dad and forced chris daughtry to apologize to the troops for not wanting to sing an off script unrehearsed patriotic song on fox and friends...

the country is just infected with a faggot virus. social media may be the worst thing to even happen to the country.
A little different. While conservatives protested the Dixie Chicks, they weren't stopping anyone from buying/listening to their music (unless, I suppose your only means of listening to music was radio). If it was the other way around, there would be demand to never allow them into a recording studio again and all production and distribution of their music be ceased (if they had the power to do so).

However in this case, (and even though I'm not at all a twitter guy) it's apparent that this guy was downgraded in status for his views which apparently in the Twitterverse is a big deal.

BTW I wholehearted agree with you on your assessment of social media. I guarantee it will be determined to be a root cause of an eventual breakdown of society and/or violent political schism.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
[QUOTE="Floyd1977, post: 5729207, member: 6176"

BTW I wholehearted agree with you on your assessment of social media. I guarantee it will be determined to be a root cause of an eventual breakdown of society and/or violent political schism.[/QUOTE]
i feel that beyond a shadow of a doubt "social media" is going to be the down fall of american society as we know it.

Floyd1977

They're apparently standing behind their decision. They're all in on squelching speech.
Testing the waters I guess to see how far they can get with punishing dissenters. Of course, nothing will happen and they'll just become more emboldened to keep doimg this and more

He doing something called "the dangerous faggot tour". He really is a funny bastard.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
He doing something called "the dangerous faggot tour". He really is a funny bastard.
He's a gay dude that's more for conservatism than straight whites are allowed to be, he constantly calls feminism 'worse than cancer' and yet he loves black cock.

The man is fabulous.

He's a gay dude that's more for conservatism than straight whites are allowed to be, he constantly calls feminism 'worse than cancer' and yet he loves black cock.

The man is fabulous.
Oh I know who he is. I just never heard of his faggot tour.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony

The problem with that comparison is that the Dixie Chicks pissed off a large part of their fanbase. Their former fans were the ones ripping up their shit. Stations stopped playing it because listeners would call in and bitch out the board op when they heard it.

It was amusing seeing folks who previously declared their disdain for country hicks suddenly pretending to be fans of country music.

In this case, it would be like a lot of his followers unfollowing him because they get pissed at him.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I hope they knock this shit off. As much as I sometimes hate twitter, it's become an essential part of my job. It's simply unmatched as a way to distribute and receive info.

Oh noes they took his little blue check mark away, how about panic if/when they ban the actual account.

KRSOne

It will be worse in the future. The kids you see in college right now with the safe spaces and all that nonsense will be the ones running these companies in the future. They will also be the future politicians, which is even worse since you have no choice but to comply with government doctrine.