Two of 'Jena Six' defendants present BET award

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007710190316

Two of 'Jena Six' defendants present BET award

Two of the teens enmeshed in the nationally known "Jena Six" case helped present the most anticipated award during Black Entertainment Television's Hip Hop Awards show broadcast Thursday night.

Carwin Jones and Bryant Purvis were introduced by Katt Williams, a comedian and the awards show's host, as two of the students involved in a case of "systematic racism."

"By no means are we condoning a six-on-one beat-down," Williams said during his introduction of the teens, one of whom is still facing attempted murder charges in connection with the attack on white student Justin Barker. "... But the injustice perpetrated on these young men is straight criminal."
As Jones and Purvis walked onto the stage at the Atlanta Civic Center, where the awards show was filmed on Saturday, they were greeted by a standing ovation.

"They don't look so tough, do they?" Williams joked as the teens stepped up to the podium.

Both Jones and Purvis thanked a number of people, including family, friends, the "Hip-Hop Nation" and the thousands who came to their small hometown to rally behind their case.

Purvis said the Sept. 20 rally proved "our generation can unite and rally around a cause."

The teens assisted Williams in presenting the Video of the Year honor to Kanye West for "Stronger." Purvis handed the award to West, who in turn shook hands with both teens.

'Should be humbled'
Some have been critical of the appearance, saying the teens -- accused of knocking Barker unconscious and then stomping and kicking on him until another student intervened -- shouldn't be made out to be celebrities. Barker was treated at a local emergency room for close to three hours and then released.

"If anything, they should be humbled and go home and not be trying to get celebrity status off a tragedy," one person wrote on a BET blog post.

Another wrote on the blog, titled "What's wrong with this picture?" featuring a picture of Jones and Purvis on the red carpet, "... this is what I was protesting for! So that later you could show up at the BET awards and style and profile?"

But Tina Jones, Purvis' mom, said BET contacted the Jena Six families to come to the awards show "to get away for a relaxing weekend."

Also attending the show was Mychal Bell's father, Marcus Jones; Carwin Jones' parents, John Jenkins and Dwanda Jones; and Theo McCoy, the father of Theo Shaw, another defendant.

"You can't get caught up in what people say," Tina Jones said. "They are going to say something no matter what you do."

She said her son was most excited about meeting rappers Birdman and Lil Wayne.

Court allowed the trip
Some have questioned if Carwin Jones and Purvis were allowed to leave the state legally, but Bill Furlow, a spokesman for LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters, said the boys sought and received the court's permission before going.

Jenkins said the past few months have been stressful for everyone involved and that it was "good to see the kids go out and have fun and laugh."

"I'm just praying that everything turns out OK for everybody," he said.

But the criticism has been extensive, including comments from those who said they made the trek to Jena for the rally.

"They can find somebody else to march for them (be)cause I will not be there the next time, and whoever invited them to this should be slapped," one person wrote on the BET blog. "(You're) not setting a good example for the justice that everyone is fighting for. You look like the thugs they said the Jena 6 are. Thanks for making us look stupid!"

A poster who said he was from near Jena said it is "sad making the Jena 6 out as heros."

But Tina Jones emphasized that the appearance was only an opportunity to get away from the stress of the case and Jena -- not about raising awareness or gaining celebrity status.

Purvis' attorney, Darrell Hickman, declined to comment about his client's appearance and said he doesn't know of any others scheduled in the future.

Messages left Thursday for Carwin Jones' attorney, Mike Nunnery, went unreturned.

Calls placed Thursday to the Barker family for comment went unanswered.

Carwin Jones and Purvis were charged initially with second-degree murder, along with Bell, Shaw, Robert Bailey and Jesse Ray Beard, in connection with the Dec. 4 beating of Barker at Jena High School.

Bell, who was 16 at the time of the attack, is the first of the six defendants to have been tried and was convicted in June of aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit that crime. Both of those felony convictions later were vacated and sent back to juvenile court.

Bell is currently at the Renaissance Home for Youth in Alexandria , said the Rev. B.L. Moran of Jena, who has actively advocated for the teens, including testifying at a congressional hearing earlier this week.

Bell had spent almost 10 months incarcerated in a LaSalle Parish adult facility before being released on bail in September. He was free for two weeks before being taken back into custody and sentenced to 18 months in connection with two previous juvenile adjudications, the Rev. Al Sharpton said.

Charges against Bailey, Carwin Jones and Shaw have been reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit that crime, which they will face in adult court. Current information about Bell's and Beard's cases are unknown as they are being handled in juvenile court and aren't open to the public.

Purvis is scheduled for arraignment on Nov. 7.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
But Tina Jones emphasized that the appearance was only an opportunity to get away from the stress of the case and Jena -- not about raising awareness or gaining celebrity status.
Riiiiiiight.

What the fuck is wrong with people, giving these piece of shit criminals more time in the spotlight?

ImAlrightSpider

I paid $2 a month for O&A and I LIKED it!
Feb 20, 2006
Natick, MA
Riiiiiiight.

What the fuck is wrong with people, giving these piece of shit criminals more time in the spotlight?

They are black. That is what is wrong with them. :D

I am sorry to say that I am not at all surprised.

cozzie

head retard
Aug 7, 2005
Norristown PA
"By no means are we condoning a six-on-one beat-down," Williams said during his introduction of the teens, one of whom is still facing attempted murder charges in connection with the attack on white student Justin Barker. "... But the injustice perpetrated on these young men is straight criminal."
As Jones and Purvis walked onto the stage at the Atlanta Civic Center, where the awards show was filmed on Saturday, they were greeted by a standing ovation.

"They don't look so tough, do they?" Williams joked as the teens stepped up to the podium.

they don't look so tough by themselves , but 6 attacking 1, is just wrong and makes a person feel tougher.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
"(You're) not setting a good example for the justice that everyone is fighting for. You look like the thugs they said the Jena 6 are. Thanks for making us look stupid!"
At least someone gets it.

I'm not surprised to see this though.

esswhy

Ever Broken a Puerto Ricans arm for sweat pants $?
Mar 26, 2007
So sad

This is just bad for BET and black people in general. Don't the people making these decisions realize that all they are really doing is making other races resent them?

They ARE making celebrities and condoning violence by bringing these guys out to present an award. Everytime something this fucked up happens, and black people celebrate it, the racial divide in the country widens.

fucked up country.....

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
I didn't read anything....I'm just assuming that it's the ****** Of The Year award...

The teens assisted Williams in presenting the Video of the Year honor to Kanye West for "Stronger." Purvis handed the award to West, who in turn shook hands with both teens.
Hey, I was right!! :jump

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
No, I think this is great.

More positive role models to compliment the thugs in rap and the crybabies in sports. A generation of productive, responsible, contributing members of society are sure to follow in the wake of such stellar leadership, it nearly brings a tear to my eye to witness the courage of such strong young black men.......
:icon_roll

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
I honest to God can't believe this is real.

Wow. Just wow.

I'm actually glad this happened. It's a slippery slope. The outrageousness keeps getting worse and worse... and eventually everyone's eyes will be opened.

Fucking thugs. Unbelieveable. I want Rush or Hannity or someone to invite all the white students from that school to an event. Give them an award for being courageous. Watch the shitstorm that happens then.

Fucking double standard in this country. Congrats, fuckers. Consider this your 40 acres and a mule.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA

Wow. Just wow.

I'm actually glad this happened. It's a slippery slope. The outrageousness keeps getting worse and worse... and eventually everyone's eyes will be opened.

Fucking thugs. Unbelievable. I want Rush or Hannity or someone to invite all the white students from that school to an event. Give them an award for being courageous. Watch the shitstorm that happens then.

Fucking double standard in this country. Congrats, fuckers. Consider this your 40 acres and a mule.

Very well said...... holy shit....... unbelievable

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Makes me wonder, if the kid would have ended up dead, would the be getting a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
As Jones and Purvis walked onto the stage at the Atlanta Civic Center, where the awards show was filmed on Saturday, they were greeted by a standing ovation

Both Jones and Purvis thanked a number of people, including family, friends, the "Hip-Hop Nation" and the thousands who came to their small hometown to rally behind their case.

Purvis said the Sept. 20 rally proved "our generation can unite and rally around a cause."
What injustice was perpetrated on these "young men" (more like young savages)? That they were tried & convicted as adults? In any other state that conviction would not have been reversed on appeal. Unless there is proof that their mental capacity is that of a 4 year old, then they should have been tried as adults. That's even insulting to 4 year olds - mine knows hitting is wrong & that if he does, he's going to be punished.

As for them not looking so tough....they probably didn't look so tough that night under the advice of their attorneys. Make them look like "nice young men" to garner more sympathy for their cause.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
You know, I've always said that criminals and thugs don't get nearly enough honor and respect in the black community. Good to see the kudos going where they belong.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.

Wow. Just wow.

Slippery slop is an appropriate term. Besides the general ridiculousness of inviting them to the event and allowing them to present an award, we're treated to things like this:

See, now a while back, those who were defending the Jena 6 would always claim, oh, they deserved to be punished, just not as harshly. And some of us who were more serious about what they had done expressed the opinion that there was a fine line between that position, and just creeping over into full on "well, what did they really do wrong?" territory. A slipper slope.

And so here's where we're at. A lot of the Jena 6 defenders have full-on moved into "oh come on, they don't really look like criminals! They didn't REALLY do that much harm, now, did they."

Six-Pack

Feb 25, 2004
lot of the Jena 6 defenders have full-on moved into "oh come on, they don't really look like criminals!
I'm confused. Are we staying with equal rights or going back to the days where we prosecuted based on looks?

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I'm confused. Are we staying with equal rights or going back to the days where we prosecuted based on looks?
Don't play games, you know what I meant. In part, it's an element of that same bullshit logic that people often apply to clean-cut, middle-to-high income white boys who are charged with a crime. "They don't LOOK like criminals, how could they possibly be guilty?" And in the specific context of this case, that line ("they don't look so tough") is being used to imply, hey, these two kids don't look like big, brutish individuals, so how could they have really *seriously* injured that white boy, like people claim they did? It feeds back into the mindset that is attempting to diminish the crime that they committed as no-big-thing.

It's insulting. Whatever their appearance or physical stature, these two kids were part of a brutal assault on someone, where, I should note, there's some serious questions as to whether the individual assault even took part in any of the racist actions which caused this whole mess. At a minimum, they shouldn't be celebrated at a fucking hip-hop awards show.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
Whats humorous is that I didnt find out about this in the news. I saw it over on Rogan's message board and reposted it here. And Ive been searching google news for someone to pick up the story and no big media outlet has.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
They deserved to be there. Period. Young black youths who set proper examples of how their lives will be should be allowed to be priased in their community while other black people who are getting masters degrees, working hard making an honest living contributing to their community, should be degraded because they are giving a false hope to a community where often times there is no hope.

So keep it up BET, set the standard of excellence for the black community to live by. Im just suprised they didnt come on teh stage in a Hummer with 26's on it. Its terrible when your whole community of children probably know more about Fiddy Cent than Bert and Ernie.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
This isn't shocking to me. Blacks just feel the need to "fight the power," even to this day. The reality is that they are given every opportunity this world has to offer and more because of the color of there skin. My uncle wen't to fill out an application for working as a postal worker, and you GET POINTS for being black. That's right= the black person to his right was allready a few points ahead of him becuase he is white and the other guy next to him was black:rolleyes:

And Kanye West= biggest biggot of them all

FUCK YOU BET:action-sm

Russell Simmons needs to step in on this shit. HE IS A WORTHY AFRICAN AMERICAN WHO SHOULD RUN THAT FUCKING STATION AND TURN IT INTO SOMETHING THAT SHOWS BLACKS SOME FUCKING ROLE MODELS

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
...while other black people who are getting masters degrees, working hard making an honest living contributing to their community, should be degraded because they are giving a false hope to a community where often times there is no hope.
They call that "acting white". Black people succeeding in life in any way other than sports, music, or crime are known as sellouts and uncle toms in the black community.