OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Two scuba divers saved by passing yacht after charter boat left them to DIE at sea

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by gleet, Oct 5, 2011.

1. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

A couple of good quotes, and the one by the captain will sound great to the two juries hearing the cases. "Oh well, no harm, no foul. Live and let live. All's well that ends well. Forgive and forget."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ie-Miami-Beach-charter-boat-Key-Biscayne.html

2. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Never be the last one up.

3. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

A buddy of mine is into scuba diving and always bugs me to take a trip... My answer has always been "no fucking way" and if he ever asks me again I will reference this article.

4. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

One of the biggest fears of any diver. My BC has a full survival kit in a water-proof back permanently in the pocket. (Signal mirror, mylar blanket, etc)

5. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

How exactly does this happen? Don't the crew know how many people went in the water? Are they just not paying any attention?

6. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

They're supposed to. Another thing they're supposed to do is keep a Coast Guard check-list with all the divers on the boat, and what emergency equipment each diver has with them. Mylar blankets light up radar like a friggin aircraft carrier, so I keep one that I can tie to a safety sausage and fly in case I'm ever left. Since no one keeps a check-list any more, most organizations suggest you have laminated cards made that you can leave with the crew when you go on dive trips. It makes it a lot easier to find someone at sea if you know what kind of equipment they might have to signal you.

SCUBA boat crews are notoriously over-worked, therefore lazy on shit like that.

7. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

How about a head count before you move on to the next dive spot? Seems like a pretty easy fix.

8. cosmic cow

cosmic cow RaMoooooone!!!

what is a safety sausage?

9. gleet

I wondered why you had that. I didn't think it would be for warmth in the water.

10. cosmic cow

how bout you keep your head above water..or sumptin.Tss..tss

11. gleet

[​IMG]

12. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

That's the way it's typically done, but savages gonna savage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically, it's an inflatable signalling device that you keep rolled up and clipped to your vest. You inflate it with your regulator and it sticks up to signal you're there, and if you tie the mylar blanket to the top it's a huge radar signal added to the visual.

I have two, actually. One for the signal, one to put over you so you don't get fried by the sun.

13. gleet

It warms, it cools, it signals, it makes a kid's hot air balloon. Is there anything it can't do?

14. cosmic cow

Thanks Tumor. I can't imagine the horror of being left behind in the ocean.......... how quickly would you punch the dude who left you behind when he comes to say "sorry"

15. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Not only would I beat the shit out of him, but I'd own a dive resort once I got some lawyers involved.

People are scared of sharks and dumb shit like that, but this is by far the biggest fear in the diving world.

Blue-ring octopus, fire coral, jellyfish, mantis shrimp and various other things are far bigger threats as well.

16. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

fixed

17. NoSurviivors

NoSurviivors fmeinthea

I'm planning to go with my girlfriend in a couple of months or so.. probably Belize. I swear if one of these fucks comes close to pulling this shit I'll slit their throat.

18. gleet

But on a serious note... Industrial machinery and electrical boxes have keyed lockouts. Everybody working on the machine puts their own locks on the switch and it will not turn on again until everyone unlocks their lock. Keeps the hamburger meat to a minimum. Why can't dive boats have lockouts on the ignition? It ain't that expensive to set up a series switch unit and it would keep the divers calm instead of constantly have them looking up for the bottom of the boat.

19. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

One asshole loses their key and everyone gets stuck...

20. gleet

Then you hit the override and go home. At least the asshole is in the boat saying he lost his key. But when a captain can't count to 11 twice, once when they jump in the water, and again when they climb out, then something simple has to be done.

21. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

don't forget a rock coat for the lady

22. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

You have to understand, this shit never happens. It's really easy to know you have 10 people on your boat, and to wait for 10 people to get back on. More than that, though, usually one of the crew is the actual dive master so they're down with you.

My buddy Tull (yes, that's his name) does the music at Belize Yacht Club. If you're going to San Pedro you should go hang, it's a damn good time.

Also, have fun doing Blue Hole. :thumbsup:

23. WhiteHonkyDevil

WhiteHonkyDevil El hombre de los moleculos!

How are you going to do that from inside the local aquatic life?