U.S. Air Force Wants 300 PlayStation 3's

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
U.S. Air Force Wants 300 PlayStation 3's

What do you do when you're the U.S. government and you need heaps of computing power, quick and on the cheap? You snatch up 300 Sony PlayStation 3's of course. We've seen researchers use the gaming consoles before to crunch numbers and study gravity, and now the Air Force wants in on the Cell processor-powered action.

What exactly the Air Force plans to use the 300 PlayStations for is unclear, but the branch of the armed forces is getting price quotes from resellers.

Knowing that the PS3 is less a gaming machine and more a super computer in disguise, all we can say is we're glad it's the Air Force and not the NSA.

From Newsvine
http://www.switched.com/2008/03/05/u-s-air-force-wants-300-playstation-3s/

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Wasn't there a Law and Order episode where they went against a shopkeep for sending video game systems out of the country because of their computing power?

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Wasn't there a Law and Order episode where they went against a shopkeep for sending video game systems out of the country because of their computing power?
I remember Saddam Hussein trying to buy like 1,000 PS2s back in the day for their processors to use in his missle program. He was trying anything because of trade embargos

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Well what they should do is go buy some Xb...wait nevermind, they melt :(
We've been using the computing power of the 360's for the last couple years in Iraq...helping locate the whereabouts of WMD's. Apparently, we located an envoy of nuclear warheads just outside of Basrah. But they got red rings of death on 98 of them and those trucks disappeared into the desert.

Fuck Microsoft.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
The Marine's are using the 360 as a replacement for reactive armor. It melts the rounds before they hit the tank.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i was figuring that they were having the airforce guys play COD4 so the desk jockeys can find out what a ground war looks like

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Related news:
Scientist Using Eight PlayStation 3s to Study Gravity
Posted Oct 18th 2007 3:12PM by Evan Shamoon
Filed under: Computers, Video Games

Whoever said video games were a waste of time is totally eating his words right now.

Wired News reports that a cluster of eight interlinked PlayStation 3's is actually solving "a celestial mystery involving gravitational waves and what happens when a super-massive black hole, about a million times the mass of our own sun, swallows up a star." Which we'd explain to you in layman's terms, except for we think those may actually be layman's terms, in addition to the fact that we forgot our astrophysicist degrees at home this week.

Dr. Gaurav Khanna, the main scientist behind the research, is employing the PS3s to help measure the ripples in the space-time continuum that travel at the speed of light. The fact that the PS3 uses a version of Linux to work its magic is essentially what allows for the research to be done -- Linux is a very open system, and customizing it for the needs of the project was relatively easy.

"Basically, it's almost like a replacement," Khanna says. "I don't have to use that supercomputer anymore, which is a good thing."

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
America's Newest Weapon: The Portal Gun.