U.S. official: More than two dozen U.S. deaths in Afghan copter crash

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
U.S. official: More than two dozen U.S. deaths in Afghan copter crash

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- More than two dozen American troops are believed to have died in a helicopter crash in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, a U.S. military official told CNN.

Many, if not all, were special operations forces, the official said. If the numbers are confirmed, the incident would be the most deadly for coalition forces in the Afghan war, according to a CNN count of international troop deaths.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai issued a statement saying as many as 31 U.S. special forces and seven Afghans were killed and offered "deep regret" to U.S. President Barack Obama.

The Taliban claimed militants downed the helicopter with a rocket-propelled grenade. Mohammad Hazrat Janan, head of the provincial council said Tangi village elders reported that insurgents shot at the craft when it was flying back from an operation.

The incident took place in the eastern province of Wardak, an area rife with insurgent activity. There has been a swell of recent attacks in the country's southern and eastern provinces.

The crash comes just as NATO is drawing down and handing over security control to national forces. Ten thousand U.S. soldiers are scheduled to depart by year's end, while the full drawn-down is expected to take place by the end of 2014.

However, NATO's International Security Assistance Force has not said how the incident occurred. ISAF spokesman Justin Brockhoff confirmed the crash and acknowledged the helicopter had been flying in area where there was reported insurgent activity, but declined to offer additional details.

Officials are being especially tight-lipped because recovery operations at the site are still under way and body identifications and family notifications are just beginning, the U.S. military official said.

Last month, a NATO helicopter was brought down by insurgent fire in the country's eastern province of Kunar. The Taliban also claimed responsibility for that attack, though no injuries were reported.

In a separate incident, a NATO service member died Saturday after an improvised explosive device detonated in southern Afghanistan.

Elsewhere Saturday, a joint Afghan and coalition force conducted raids in the eastern province of Nangarhar, killing "several insurgents," NATO reported.

The operation also targeted a "Taliban facilitator," who NATO says was responsible for supplying ammunition and bomb-making materials to the Taliban.

In July, a series of gun battles in Nangarhar between insurgents and NATO forces left at least 10 militants dead.

Currently, there are 150,000 ISAF forces in Afghanistan, including nearly 100,000 from the United States -- the largest NATO presence in the region since the U.S.-led war began in 2001.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/08/06/afghanistan.nato.helicopter.crash/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories

Fuckin shit god dammit.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I'm glad my buddy Xxxxxx's unit got converted to a "non-combat" security force instead of a Ranger Battalion and rotated back to Iraq.

Oh, and ther're still very much a Ranger Batallion, they do most of the same missions, they just needed a little mission tweak. Think SWAT meets Marine expeditionary force who is is given the responsibility of the AO of a 1/4 of Iraq. It only takes 4 Ranger batallions to do the heavy lifting, and they've got police tattle-tails, it's just a war with better intel, or, a military invasion followed by an extensive peace-keeping mission which is intended to be a political invasion while there's opposition.

Anyway, I'm glad my buddy Xxxxx, the very decorated, top of his class West Point grad who's both a SF and a Ranger/Airborne qualified Captain with a specialty in expplosive ordinance , but has been pulled out of Afghanistan and sent to Iraq to be "security", is safe in Iraq. As a CO of a "non-combat" unit that still can't tell his wife where he is every night.

:haha7:

P.S. I'm laughing at the complete and utter irony... My buddy's unit got pulled out of Afghanistan when they were making actual progress to go to Iraq as a "Security force" so they could basically kick ass while acting as a police force, but with the discipline to not make the media so much. I'm glad My buddy's in Iraq because he's safe...

But I fucking hate that these guys died with the fire of a thousand suns. If my buddy was still in Afghanistan or Pakistan where he should be, he'd be getting a job done. Right now he's just the baddest ass dude in his bracket to protect the political interests of the Commander in Chief. He does his job, and he protects that AO extremely fucking well. His forensic evidence division is growing daily so they can "prosecute" where certain rounds come from so they can "arrest" people who shot at the soldiers. FYI, most of our forensic labs in this country are very lacking, and growing slowly. CSI is the only reason most of them didn't go out of style completely.

It's ironic that my buddy who's so good at what he does has been forced to be a police chief in Iraq when he should be commanding a forward unit in Afghanistan. It makes him sick to his stomach to ride a desk as a CO, it's why he went Ranger.

If his unit were in Afghanistan, this would be far less likely. Iraq is far easier to defend, it's just not as politically relevant to Obama.

And I hate that we invaded both places, FYI.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
At least your headline says they were US forces. Most headlines are saying 37 were killed when a NATO helicopter was shot down. You know, not US soldiers, or special forces, or SEALs, if most rumors are true. Just 37 dead in a NATO crash. Obama is only part of NATO, it's not like he is CinC or US forces and responsible. Sickening.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Looks like the special ops guys were part of Seal Team 6. That fucking blows. :icon_cry:

They confirmed that it was shot down rather than an engine problem or weather on Fox TV, can't see that anywhere else.

UPDATE: AP sources: Crash kills members of SEAL Team 6

| Posted: Saturday, August 6, 2011 11:00 am | (1) Comments

WASHINGTON (AP) --- The Associated Press has learned that more than 20 Navy SEALs from the unit that killed Osama bin Laden were among those lost in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

The operators from SEAL Team Six were flown by a crew of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. That's according to one current and one former U.S. official. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because families are still being notified of the loss of their loved ones.

One source says the team was thought to include 22 SEALs, three Air Force air controllers, seven Afghan Army troops, a dog and his handler, and a civilian interpreter, plus the helicopter crew.

The sources thought this was the largest single loss of life ever for SEAL Team Six, known as the Naval Special Warfare Development Group.

EARLIER STORY

WASHINGTON (AP) --- President Barack Obama said Saturday that the deaths of Americans in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan are a reminder of the "extraordinary" price the U.S. military is paying in the decade-long Afghan war.

Obama's statement did not confirm the number killed or other details of the crash. Afghan President Hamid Karzai said that the crash killed 31 U.S. special operation troops and seven Afghan commandos.

U.S. officials said more than 20 U.S. special operations forces were killed in the crash. Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing and family notifications are not completed.

A senior administration official said the helicopter that crashed in eastern Afghanistan was apparently shot down by insurgents in the deadliest single incident of the conflict for U.S. forces. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the crash is still being investigated.

Obama, who learned of the incident at Camp David, issued a statement saying his thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who perished.

"Their deaths are a reminder of the extraordinary sacrifices made by the men and women of our military and their families, including all who have served in Afghanistan," the president said. "We will draw inspiration from their lives, and continue the work of securing our country and standing up for the values that they embodied."

Obama said he also mourned the loss of seven Afghans "who died alongside our troops in pursuit of a more peaceful and hopeful future for their country."

Karzai sent his condolences to Obama, according to a statement issued by his office.

The Taliban claimed to have brought the helicopter down with a rocket attack, but similar claims in the past have proven to be exaggerated.

NATO officials in Afghanistan said they were trying to determine the details of what happened, but they acknowledged there was "enemy activity" in the area.

The toll Saturday surpassed the worst single-day loss of life for the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan since the war began in 2001 - the June 28, 2005 downing of a military helicopter in eastern Kunar province. In that incident, 16 Navy SEALs and Army special operations troops were killed when their craft was shot down while they were attempting to rescue four SEALs under attack by the Taliban.

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...01a-11e0-b994-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1UGa0vfNi

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

enough of this nation building garbage, its been long over due for a few hundred of these to be dropped in Pakistan

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I completely agree.

I'm expecting 0bama to be the focus of massive protests from Code Pink and all the other similar groups that wouldn't give Bush a three-second break... Any second now, right?

The manufactured outrage for political gain sickened me then, and the lack of genuine outrage sickens me now.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i doubt it but maybe this will be a wake up call for everyone that there is still a war going on over there. also i wonder if the WBC douche bags are going to stir shit about it. i really hope they do. lets see them fuck with some seals...

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
It looks like they were on a rescue mission when this happened. We lost a good group of operators, I hope they can find some good guys to take their place, we're going to need it.. my condolences for their families.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
It looks like they were on a rescue mission when this happened. We lost a good group of operators, I hope they can find some good guys to take their place, we're going to need it.. my condolences for their families.
Please.... they were killed months ago during the Osama raid. I said months ago civilian witnesses in the area saw the helicopter crash with people on board and the occupants died. And I said the military would claim they died at a later time in Afghanistan. I bet Osama was on board that crash and thats why they couldn't provide any proof that they killed him because it would expose the helicopter crash or explosion.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Please.... they were killed months ago during the Osama raid. I said months ago civilian witnesses in the area saw the helicopter crash with people on board and the occupants died. And I said they would claim they died at a later time in Afghanistan.
Way to cheapen the sacrifice of american soldiers you douche bag.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
People like you said the same thing when the "CT" were trying to expose the truth about Pat Tillman.
And people like you say the same thing about every topic you comment on. When everyone you ever talk to mocks you, maybe you are simple wrong.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
And people like you say the same thing about every topic you comment on.
The truth? I called it bro

They told Pat Tillmans family that he was killed in action by the enemy but he was actually shot by an American. You think that they wouldn't tell the family that they died in Afghanistan or in some other misssion? The family would have no way of knowing,
And everyone laughed but now here it is just like I predicted. Or maybe it really did go down the way they say it did but I doubt it. Either way its tragic.

Aug 11, 2005
Please.... they were killed months ago during the Osama raid. I said months ago civilian witnesses in the area saw the helicopter crash with people on board and the occupants died. And I said the military would claim they died at a later time in Afghanistan. I bet Osama was on board that crash and thats why they couldn't provide any proof that they killed him because it would expose the helicopter crash or explosion.
He probably isn't dead at all.

I never trust the government, they would kill your mother if the law allowed it

Psychopath

Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
No, asshole they weren't If they were you would have heard about it then. 22 operators being killed would have been noticed and talked about, you dumb cunt.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
No, asshole they weren't If they were you would have heard about it then. 22 operators being killed would have been noticed and talked about, you dumb cunt.
Already went over all this when I originally said it after it was reported by civilian witnesses that the copter went down with people inside. But keep believing everything the government tells you. I'm sure you flew a flag and got all patriotic when the government told their fable about how Pat Tillman died and then you called his family a cunt for not believing the story and daring to find out the truth. I hope the families of the team 6 are able to find out the truth.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
If I were a mod I would have already banned Kirk and MagicBob from this thread.

Psychopath

Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Yeah, and they were evaced, you dumb shit. Like I said before, you idiot. A huge loss of that many special forces operators would have been noticed by REGULAR soldiers. Jesus Christ. you are a fucking idiot. Kill yourself. No one want to read your nonsense about shit you know NOTHING about.

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
. It only takes 4 Ranger batallions to do the heavy lifting, and they've got police tattle-tails, it's just a war with better intel, or, a military invasion followed by an extensive peace-keeping mission which is intended to be a political invasion while there's opposition.
Since I'm a picky Pete, did you mean Ranger companies? There are 4 companies in each Ranger battalion, Headquarters, A,B, and C company. There are only 3 deployable Ranger battalions. The 4th, 5th and 6th battalions are part of the Ranger Training Brigade, and don't deploy.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Already went over all this when I originally said it after it was reported by civilian witnesses that the copter went down with people inside. But keep believing everything the government tells you. I'm sure you flew a flag and got all patriotic when the government told their fable about how Pat Tillman died and then you called his family a cunt for not believing the story and daring to find out the truth. I hope the families of the team 6 are able to find out the truth.
I really hope your genitals end up on the receiving end of a servicemans bootheel, you piece of shit.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Yeah, and they were evaced, you dumb shit. Like I said before, you idiot. A huge loss of that many special forces operators would have been noticed by REGULAR soldiers. Jesus Christ. you are a fucking idiot. Kill yourself. No one want to read your nonsense about shit you know NOTHING about.
So you're saying regular soldiers would have known who was a part of the Osama raid? I doubt that.