Ubuntu & Beryl

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I was watching random videos on youtube and I came across a video showing Ubuntu Beryl.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM

Those effects are insane! It makes Aero look like shit!

So the question is for you Linux guys, how hard is this to install? The Beryl addon is really cool and I want to play with it. Since it's free, why not?

I have hardly any Linux experience, but I am very computer capable. If anybody has installed this before. I will be using a fresh hard drive, so I dont mess any of my data up. Once I get it up and running, I want to stick my Vista hard drive in and dual boot.

So any feedback would be great, either from personal experience, or some good links.

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
I've been running it in Ubuntu 7.04, works perfectly out of the box, you just have to enable it. However, there's a bug in using it on dual monitors which hopefully was solved by 7.10 which is out now, and supposedly enabled by default on this version, i plan on testing it this week. I also hope the fire effects are fixed in this version as well. As far as dual booting, Ubuntu is very nice about playing with partitions, it split and set up the amount of space i wanted to dedicate to it without a hitch.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
Looks fantastic except the fact that it is still Linux. For surfing the web and doing small stuff Linux is great, but there is a lot of stuff that is even harder to find for Linux than it is for Mac.

sniper

Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
Looks fantastic except the fact that it is still Linux. For surfing the web and doing small stuff Linux is great, but there is a lot of stuff that is even harder to find for Linux than it is for Mac.
Like what? Maybe I can help you. I've been working on a list of things I can do in Linux that I can do in windows, and what I actually need windows for. Right now, I only need windows for syncing my samsung blackjack, although there are programs out there for linux that will do the same thing as Active Sync I just haven't tested them yet. And of course there's gaming, but i'm not a hardcore gamer anymore on the PC.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Viruses! How can I get viruses if I am running Ubuntu?

/chairman jimmy's voice

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
Get used to it, theres a big push to get Linux into the mainstream lately due to the grip of MS loosening. Entire countries are ditching windows in favor of Linux while more and more people, particularly lower income and city school districts, will gravitate towards systems like this where they don't have to invest $300 for an OS. The difficulty in using Linux was its biggest roadblock to mass acceptance but Ubuntu looks like its finally addressing that.

Finding software that will emulate windows functions isn't as bad as you may think. Sourceforge has just about everything you might want and if its not there, its being worked on. :action-sm

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I have been doing research and got mostly everything sorted out.

turns out Beryl is no longer, now its called Compbiz Fusion and its already integrated into 7.10 - I have all those crazy desktop effects.

So now Im just trying to do all the things in Ubuntu that I do in windows. Mostly everything works, and stuff that doesnt I use wine and run the Win application.

Whats the best way to get XMSR online working? I couldnt find any standalone app such as XstreamXM, right now Im just using the xmradio.com online with a media plugin. Works, but its kinda a pain.

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
Smooth as fuck with install of Gutsy Gibbon...i had some issues with Compiz on Feisty but i'm running sick shit on the latest build

sniper

Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
I was really hoping they were going to address the dual screen + compiz problem in this version but I still can't get it to run without crashing window decorations. Also can't get the extra effects to work, like the fire windows and animations. Bleh!

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I've been messing around with the 3D desktop on the live version of the new Mandriva release. Yeah, all the new releases of Linux are making Aero look dated.

Apr 12, 2003
cleveland
been having problems trying to install ubuntu on an old laptop - the 'temp install' with the CD works fine but when i click the icon in ubuntu to do a real install it just crashes the computer

then it won't boot at all while CD is still in drive - it just tries to access it then fails and shuts down- need to remove cd to get back to windows.

i know its not the disk - ran the disk check and it was fine - next step i think ill try is using a recovery windows disk for a fresh windows install then trying to install ubuntu after that unless someone has a better idea?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
been having problems trying to install ubuntu on an old laptop - the 'temp install' with the CD works fine but when i click the icon in ubuntu to do a real install it just crashes the computer

then it won't boot at all while CD is still in drive - it just tries to access it then fails and shuts down- need to remove cd to get back to windows.

i know its not the disk - ran the disk check and it was fine - next step i think ill try is using a recovery windows disk for a fresh windows install then trying to install ubuntu after that unless someone has a better idea?
Linux only works on Fat32 formatted hard drives and XP and Vista use NTSF. Try downloading a freeware formatter off of download.com or use the disk that comes with most hard drives these days to format it as FAT32.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Just broke my Linux cherry. I have an old P3 with 640 MB RAM and a 64MB vid card. Just installed Ubuntu on it. Very easy, painless install. And I'm liking it. Feeling rather geekish and L33t right now.

I can tell the PC is old because even though I understand Linux is slimmer, this 9 year old computer is running kind of slow.

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
Aug 23, 2002
1989 - Baba Booey!
Linux only works on Fat32 formatted hard drives and XP and Vista use NTSF. Try downloading a freeware formatter off of download.com or use the disk that comes with most hard drives these days to format it as FAT32.
Actually, as of 7.10, Ubuntu Linux will recognize, read and write to NTFS drives. My dual-boot machine found my Windows drives on install, and even a later Windows drive that I installed. You may have to transfer ownership and permissions for the drives to yourself from root, but it works flawlessly.

sniper

Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
Actually, as of 7.10, Ubuntu Linux will recognize, read and write to NTFS drives. My dual-boot machine found my Windows drives on install, and even a later Windows drive that I installed. You may have to transfer ownership and permissions for the drives to yourself from root, but it works flawlessly.
Same here, Linux has come a long way in the file system compatibility dept.

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
i rock Ubuntu with Compiz on one of my laptops (Acer)...it fucking rocks...blows people away who see what it can do....

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
HUH????????? "whaa"
Same here, Linux has come a long way in the file system compatibility dept.
I stand corrrrrrected. :icon_redf

I always wanted to have a dual-boot system but wanted to still access my old files on the XP drive. Guess that's do-able now.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
i rock Ubuntu with Compiz on one of my laptops (Acer)...it fucking rocks...blows people away who see what it can do....
Do you know of a guide anywhere that shows how it works with the new release? I found one for an older version but it didn't work.

I always wanted to have a dual-boot system but wanted to still access my old files on the XP drive. Guess that's do-able now.
I actually thought you meant the file system Linux runs on and not the ones Linux can access.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom

Yeah you can, i have my PC set up to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu, and from within Ubuntu I can access my vista partition (NTFS).

roche said:
Do you know of a guide anywhere that shows how it works with the new release? I found one for an older version but it didn't work.
Here is a list of different laptops and how they perform with different versions Ubuntu. Just remember if a laptop isn't on the list it doesn't mean it wont work, it just hasn't been tested yet.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
I'm not on the latest distro but i'm not gonna lie...took a while to get Compiz running on all cylinders on Gibbon...I spent a lot of time in the Ubuntu Forums...I'll dig around for the threads that got me what I needed and will let you know.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
I have Ubuntu on a fairly old system. But does anyone know offhand what the system requirements are for Beryl?

My system:
P4 2.4 Ghz
1 GB Ram
256 MB Vid (radeon 9550)