UC Davis Study: Gun Ownership Linked To Heavy Drinking

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
UC Davis Study: Gun Ownership Linked To Heavy Drinking

June 15, 2011 11:58 AM

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A new study from UC Davis finds a disturbing link between people who own guns and heavy alcohol use.

UCD researchers found that gun owners are twice as likely to engage in binge drinking, chronic heavy drinking, and drinking and driving as people who don’t own guns.

Perhaps more disturbing, the study found alcohol abuse was most common among gun-owners who engage in risky behavior like having a loaded, unlocked gun in the home and driving or riding in a vehicle with a loaded gun.

“It’s not surprising that risky behaviors go together,” said Garen J. Wintemute, author of the study and director of the UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program. “This is of particular concern given that alcohol intoxication also impairs a gun user’s accuracy as well as his judgment on whether to shoot.”

The UC Davis study is published online in the journal Injury Prevention. Researchers analyzed telephone survey results for more than 15,000 people in eight states.

The article does not say owning guns is the reason for the drinking or vice-versa. However it suggests that drinking can impair judgment and lead people to use guns in dangerous ways. It also suggests that personality traits, such as impulsiveness or risk-taking, could lead to an increase in dangerous behavior involving alcohol and guns.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/06/15/uc-davis-study-gun-ownership-linked-to-heavy-drinking/

[YT]9RqhL1r9q18[/YT]

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
hmmmm..... well i do like to drink, i have a loaded .45 under my pillow and keep one in my car so when im driving home from the bar i can shoot other bad drivers.
huh, guess the study is right.

Aug 11, 2005
Love Ant but I can't stand his music. Great vid , nicely done!

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
New study finds that studies out of UC Davis don't understand correlation.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
First thing that came into my head:

Hicks drink a lot, because their lives are kind of shitty and boring and relatively marginalized. Similar to american indians, just not as extreme.
Hicks also love guns. Cuz they're hicks. It's their thing.

Aug 11, 2005
First thing that came into my head:

Hicks drink a lot, because their lives are kind of shitty and boring and relatively marginalized. Similar to american indians, just not as extreme.
Hey! why do you gotta drag Pepper into this?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Isn't the whole study about correlation? Whether or not it reinforces a stereotype, the point of the study was to determine whether there is a higher incidence of drinking amongst gun owners. Statistically this was the case in this study. It's not the same as if I said "I've been safe from tiger attacks since I found this rock, therefore it must be a tiger-repellent rock".

Aug 11, 2005
Isn't the whole study about correlation? Whether or not it reinforces a stereotype, the point of the study was to determine whether there is a higher incidence of drinking amongst gun owners. Statistically this was the case in this study. It's not the same as if I said "I've been safe from tiger attacks since I found this rock, therefore it must be a tiger-repellent rock".
I'm drunk right now and I have a shitload of guns and I don't wanna shoot anybody

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
The comments of the author are so unscientific it's ridiculous. This chunk

UCD researchers found that gun owners are twice as likely to engage in binge drinking, chronic heavy drinking, and drinking and driving as people who don’t own guns.

Perhaps more disturbing, the study found alcohol abuse was most common among gun-owners who engage in risky behavior like having a loaded, unlocked gun in the home and driving or riding in a vehicle with a loaded gun.

“It’s not surprising that risky behaviors go together,” said Garen J. Wintemute, author of the study and director of the UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program. “This is of particular concern given that alcohol intoxication also impairs a gun user’s accuracy as well as his judgment on whether to shoot.”
is such a ham-handed attempt to link basic concepts

Drinking = RISK = binge drinking = RISK = drunk driving = RISK = firearms = RISK = loaded guns = RISK = loaded guns in cars = RISK

One of the worst attempts at cherry-picking I've ever seen.

Just write a political blog about how you think you're ideologically "advanced", and that guns are for paranoid racist neanderthals, and save yourself from embarrassment.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
At first I was going to be insulted, then I realized you're pretty much right... although I would argue what's so bad about a life filled with booze and guns? I'd probably be considered a "hick" by most here, and sure we live and drive around with loaded guns, and sure we drink a lot... so? I can't remember a time when that was a problem. All the shootings around here are almost exclusively from home invasions in grow houses.

How about they do another study regarding the correlation between gun ownership and alternative drug use? I'm pretty sure people who do hallucinogenics regularly are less likely to own a firearm. This study is as fucking pointless as one showing the relationship between heavy drinkers and car ownership. Sure someone who drinks heavy and owns a vehicle has the potential to be in a dangerous situation, but stick to the fucking facts regarding the issue. The reason they didn't report on actual accidental firearm deaths when someone is under the influence is because per capita the numbers are extremely fucking low and they wouldn't have a story.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Stupid, pointless, biased story is stupid, pointless, and biased. Par for the course for UC, really.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Stupid, pointless, biased story is stupid, pointless, and biased. Par for the course for UC, really.
I'm actually surprised it came from Davis, which is pretty much an agricultural/more conservative school. You expect this from Berkley or Santa Cruz. Then again conservative for a UC is probably slightly left of moderate.

Aug 11, 2005
I'm actually surprised it came from Davis, which is pretty much an agricultural/more conservative school. You expect this from Berkley or Santa Cruz. Then again conservative for a UC is probably slightly left of moderate.
stop drinkin' so much , you gotta work tomorrow

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I don't drink and have several firearms, which I would use in a heartbeat if justified.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
So what good is a study that says "rocks repel tigers" then?

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
The study also showed that illegal gun owners are more likely to drink malt liquor.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
That's also a piss poor sample size. Approximately 2,125 people from each state? Hardly large enough to actually make a qualified statement, but they obviously care more about trying to make a point than accuracy.

JoeFromS.Jersey

Apr 25, 2005
South Jersey
The reason they didn't report on actual accidental firearm deaths when someone is under the influence is because per capita the numbers are extremely fucking low and they wouldn't have a story.
This...

I would bet money the study was originally intended to be one on firearm accidents and the link to alcohol but they probably did the preliminary research and realized that there wasn't anywhere near enough to have any sort of meaningful study.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Fuck, I guess I need to get more guns.