UFC growth issues

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
While UFC is very far from anything dire, it is no secret that ratings, buys & attendance are down & the new highly hyped TUF LIVE didn't do well at all on FX Fri & that was a focal point of the Fox/FX deal
They were on a much bigger network & did only 65% of the average of other TUF premiers

What is the reason for UFC's slide when most thought they would go forward & grow?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Didn't we go over this recently? To me, the problem has always been that the PPVs are beyond expensive. That and oversaturation.

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
Leave them wanting more. All other sports have a season. UFC doesn't need a season, it needs time off to make it special. WWF was fucking through the roof when it was doing less than 10 PPV's a year because the fans couldn't get enough.....When they kept adding shit, they found out the fans could get enough. The product gets watered down and stale.

I love UFC, but 3 events a month and a $60 ppv every 20 days is fucking clown shoes.

How about one event a month, either for FX or Fuel and a ppv every 30-40 days. On 40 Day PPV cycle you kick a Fx or Fuel show for a Fox card. . It's less PPV's but it makes each one more special and more wanted.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Didn't we go over this recently? To me, the problem has always been that the PPVs are beyond expensive. That and oversaturation.
Maybe, I barely remember yesterday ;)

I was thinking about it bc of the Fox deal not doing as well as everyone thought.
I don't think its just PPV prices bc that shouldn't effect TV ratings
I think its partly due to big names leaving or being inactive
Brock, Randy, Chuck were closest to mainstream names & they are gone & nobody filled their spots
GSP draws but he has been inactive & Jones could be a mainstream name but yet to catch on

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Leave them wanting more. All other sports have a season. UFC doesn't need a season, it needs time off to make it special. WWF was fucking through the roof when it was doing less than 10 PPV's a year because the fans couldn't get enough.....When they kept adding shit, they found out the fans could get enough. The product gets watered down and stale.

I love UFC, but 3 events a month and a $60 ppv every 20 days is fucking clown shoes.

How about one event a month, either for FX or Fuel and a ppv every 30-40 days. On 40 Day PPV cycle you kick a Fx or Fuel show for a Fox card. . It's less PPV's but it makes each one more special and more wanted.
I can see everything you brought up but that shouldn't have anything to do with TUF doing maybe 50% of what they hoped

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Bring back that freaky fighter with one tit muscle.

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
I can see everything you brought up but that shouldn't have anything to do with TUF doing maybe 50% of what they hoped
Do TUF once a year or every 1.5 years.

Some seasons seem like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

You need to let the talent pool build up. The reason the first few seasons were so great is because they literally found the best guys in America doing MMA

Now they are just getting the best of the last 5 months.

Again, watered down product.

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL

You need to let the talent pool build up. The reason the first few seasons were so great is because they literally found the best guys in America doing MMA

Agree with this. It seems like TUF might've run its course for right now. Do it every other year at this point. I have gone completely through the show last Friday, but to me, it was kind of boring. I mean, their were some nice finishes but I think the presentation was just kind of flat.

With regards to events, I'm loving all the free events. I only get maybe 2-3 PPVs a year. I haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to buy Jones/Evans yet, but I know I'm going to get Silva/Sonnen II and probably Dos Santos/Overeem. I agree they are expensive, but I don't see the price going down. I'm still enjoying everything, but I can understand where the "watered down product" complaint comes from.

fulldevilsoccer

Jul 2, 2009

I was sick of the UFC this weekend with all these events and tv-shows. They had a crazy schedule lately. Yet yesterday I found myself downloading Bellator because I realized there's no UFC in a month.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The UFC needs to lock in a set season. Similar to baseball, football, etc... They also need one premier event to top off their season and crown their 'Kings'.

As others have said; less is more.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

Agree with this. It seems like TUF might've run its course for right now. Do it every other year at this point. I have gone completely through the show last Friday, but to me, it was kind of boring. I mean, their were some nice finishes but I think the presentation was just kind of flat.

With regards to events, I'm loving all the free events. I only get maybe 2-3 PPVs a year. I haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to buy Jones/Evans yet, but I know I'm going to get Silva/Sonnen II and probably Dos Santos/Overeem. I agree they are expensive, but I don't see the price going down. I'm still enjoying everything, but I can understand where the "watered down product" complaint comes from.
Or just do a TUF: World Tour instead of concurrent TUFs in other countries. Have TUF: Brazil one year, then TUF: Japan, then TUF: Europe, etc. Try to recreate the conditions for the first US seasons of TUF. Use untapped talent pools instead of overdrawing from the American one. Sure, there will be language barrier problems, but people mostly care about the fights. No one gives a shit about the dumb pranks in the house.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
how about the fact that they put they show in a time slot that is considered the graveyard of shows getting ready to be cancelled. If they're any people watching tv on a friday night, its nerds and geeks, and they have fringe, supernatural, and a few other scifi shows. Angry muscular guys in shorts isn't the type of programming a friday night viewer is going to turn into.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
how about the fact that they put they show in a time slot that is considered the graveyard of shows getting ready to be cancelled. If they're any people watching tv on a friday night, its nerds and geeks, and they have fringe, supernatural, and a few other scifi shows. Angry muscular guys in shorts isn't the type of programming a friday night viewer is going to turn into.
That is a good point but the ratings began eh & went down as the show started which means that people did tune in & bailed on the format

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Thankfully, I DVR'd it and jumped through the commercials and set up crapo.

JoeFromS.Jersey

Apr 25, 2005
South Jersey
I used to do a party for every UFC.....that was back when they only had them like every 3 months or so. Now...I can't remember the last one I did. Last summer maybe? They're waaaaaay over saturated. That's the main problem.

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
Yup, I'll order the huge cards, but I can't afford 60 to watch Condit/Diaz Leben/Munoz Rampage/Evans: 2 years after people cared, etc....

PPV's should be headlined by title fights. Boxing PPVs and even WWE PPVs know you headline with a title fight.

Fuck this number one contender or interim bullshit. Legitimate Championship Fight.

With 125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205, and 260 every PPV should have a Championship fight Main Event.

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
Yup, I'll order the huge cards, but I can't afford 60 to watch Condit/Diaz Leben/Munoz Rampage/Evans: 2 years after people cared, etc....

PPV's should be headlined by title fights. Boxing PPVs and even WWE PPVs know you headline with a title fight.

Fuck this number one contender or interim bullshit. Legitimate Championship Fight.

With 125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205, and 260 every PPV should have a Championship fight Main Event.
The last PPV event that wasn't headline by a ME title fight was UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem, but that qualifies under big fight.

Before that it was UFC 139 Hendo vs Rua, to me that's a big time fight (and it delivered), but I could see why on paper fans thought it wasn't worth it.

Before that it was UFC 137, Penn vs Diaz, but that was because GSP had an injury.

You have to go all the way back to UFC 133 to find a ME that from the start didn't have a title as ME. Even then, Jones was supposed to defend his belt against Evans, but thanks to injuries, the UFC had to go in a different direction.

My point is, most PPV cards have a belt on the line, some even had 2, but even when that happens you still have fans bitch about something. If is not lack of a title fight, is the events are too close to each other, but its always something.

In my opinion, MMA fans are really fucking whiny.

As for the growth issues, I think its a little too soon to tell. You still have boneheads watching TUF repeats on Spike when they could be watching it live on FX. If you assume that all those Spike viewers will eventually make their way to FX, then the numbers will get better. Add the 650k viewers to the 1.3M and you have 1.9 which is almost on par with the 2M viewers Spike used to get.

I agree about the Friday slot, that was a stupid move, but we'll see what happens...

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
The last PPV event that wasn't headline by a ME title fight was UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem, but that qualifies under big fight.

Before that it was UFC 139 Hendo vs Rua, to me that's a big time fight (and it delivered), but I could see why on paper fans thought it wasn't worth it.

Before that it was UFC 137, Penn vs Diaz, but that was because GSP had an injury.

You have to go all the way back to UFC 133 to find a ME that from the start didn't have a title as ME. Even then, Jones was supposed to defend his belt against Evans, but thanks to injuries, the UFC had to go in a different direction.

My point is, most PPV cards have a belt on the line, some even had 2, but even when that happens you still have fans bitch about something. If is not lack of a title fight, is the events are too close to each other, but its always something.

In my opinion, MMA fans are really fucking whiny.

As for the growth issues, I think its a little too soon to tell. You still have boneheads watching TUF repeats on Spike when they could be watching it live on FX. If you assume that all those Spike viewers will eventually make their way to FX, then the numbers will get better. Add the 650k viewers to the 1.3M and you have 1.9 which is almost on par with the 2M viewers Spike used to get.

I agree about the Friday slot, that was a stupid move, but we'll see what happens...
Another top quality post & a lot of the "whiny fans" steal content anyway but still whine about cards even though they have no desire to buy
I cannot put myself in the "PPV buyer" category & for that reason don't bitch about "bad cards"

I think the TUF-live format might come back to haunt them
If a fight ends fast it leaves them with 10 minutes to fill with BS
Its not like viewers knew the winners anyway? They did an incredible job of keeping the results secret
With a 13 week commitment they will find its a lot more expensive & less top guys will commit to coach & even tryout