UFC on Fox vs UFC on Spike 11/12

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
The war is on

From Bryan Alvarez
Spike TV announced today that it is counter programming UFC's debut on FOX with three hours of programming on 11/12 that will feature the biggest names, and in particular, Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.
Spike will air UFC programming from 9 p.m. to midnight. In the head-to-head hour with the Velasquez vs. Dos Santos title match on FOX, Spike will be airing a tape of Velasquez's title win over Brock Lesnar, as well as Dos Santos' biggest win over Shane Carwin, and Jon Jones' win over Ryan Bader.
Over the next two hours, Spike will air Dos Santos vs. Mirko Cro Cop, Tyson Griffin vs. Hermes Franca, Thiago Silva vs. Keith Jaradine, Velasquez vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Matt Serra vs. Frank Tirgg, Pat Barry vs. Antoni Hardonk and Kendall Grove vs. Mark Munoz.
Spike is also promoting it as a five-hour MMA night, pushing the live Bellator fights on MTV 2, which will be moved from the usual 9 p.m. start time to 7 p.m. so as not to compete with the taped UFC fights on Spike.
Spike is not holding back at all with how badly they feel UFC left them

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Forgot to add I don't think it will hurt FOX for obvious reasons but Spike comes across like a jilted bitch

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Haven't Spike heard of a little thing called DVR? "Hmm.. What shall I watch now - a live fight or an old fight?" Dummies.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Haven't Spike heard of a little thing called DVR? "Hmm.. What shall I watch now - a live fight or an old fight?" Dummies.
Don't forget the FOX fight is only 1 hr
Spike hopes to get a boost after the FOX fight goes off & since it might only go a round or two maybe get the audience early
Its a way to say FU to UFC & maybe steal some viewers

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
Pretty shitty move by Spike, but its the TV business, so I understand why they're doing it.

This won't be the last time they do it either. As long as the UFC doesn't buy back the rights, they can expect Spike to continue to counter their fights.

UFC Won't Buy Library Rights, Believes Spike TV Is Being Dishonorable

In an interview with MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani on Wednesday of last week, UFC President Dana White updated fans on the current situation with Spike TV. As of right now, Spike TV owns UFC programming rights through 2012, putting a thorn in the UFC's back as they move forward with their new television partner Fox. There is an option for the UFC to buy back the rights, but it will eliminate a clause in the deal that stops Spike TV from bringing in another promotion to fill the void.

Spike TV hasn't hidden the fact that they would like to move Bellator Fighting Championships over from MTV2 to their network. Both channels are under the Viacom umbrella, and despite Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney's past comments that they are pleased with MTV2 and will stay there -- Spike TV has already put the wheels in motion. One such piece of evidence came on September 10th when Spike TV's website, Spike.com, began broadcasting live prelims for Bellator.

White was pressed by Helwani about the library rights, and he responded to questions revolving around Spike TV broadcasting Bellator's preliminary card on their website. FightOpinion.com's Zach Arnold has the transciption:

The most intriguing insider baseball segment of the interview is when Ariel asked Dana whether or not it's true that Spike can't air Bellator on TV in 2012 unless UFC buys the rights (picks up the option) to their video library to stop it from airing on Spike in 2012. Dana says that UFC has no intentions on buying the library rights, so Spike is stuck with UFC programming in 2012 as their only contractual choice.

Ariel then pressed Dana on Spike airing Bellator fights on their web site.

"If you really look at what I call the spirit of the deal... it's the wrong thing to do."
"In my opinion, it's Spike not being honorable."
"I've been nothing but honorable with them."
"That is not the spirit of the deal and they're being 100% not honorable."
It will be an interesting year for the UFC in 2012. They will be counter programmed by their own content on Spike TV, and it will more than likely affect their ratings. Spike TV believes that fans are morons however. They'll be confused by the UFC's switch to Fox because Spike TV is the home of the UFC. In reality, Fox's broader reach and bevy of secondary channels should inform the fanbase of the move, along with the UFC's own advertising during pay-per-views.

Dana White has stated all along that Spike TV has been an honorable partner that helped them grow for years and years. It would seem that White is now finding out the hardships of playing chess in the landscape of television. Spike TV, however dishonorable you may believe they are being by airing Bellator's prelims, is a business. In my mind, the move was a precursor to bringing Bellator over to the network.

Unfortunately for Spike TV, the UFC won't be opting to buy back the library rights. Spike TV will have to wait a year to move Bellator over to their network, and the UFC and Fox will have to spend a little extra money getting the word out about upcoming events. A minor trade-off to stop their primary competitor from stabilizing. Will Bellator survive the year? Will Spike TV hurt the UFC's ratings on Fox? Only time will tell, but it should be a fascinating business story buried beneath the pugilism.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Pretty shitty move by Spike, but its the TV business, so I understand why they're doing it.

This won't be the last time they do it either. As long as the UFC doesn't buy back the rights, they can expect Spike to continue to counter their fights.
yep its only the beginning
its a war UFC wins but Spike is known for spite
They overpaid for TNA after WWE went back to USA to fuck with Vince

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
yep its only the beginning
its a war UFC wins but Spike is known for spite
They overpaid for TNA after WWE went back to USA to fuck with Vince
Yeah, but if the UFC really doesn't want to go head to head with their own product, they can easily buy the rights and call it a day. But doing so would allow Bellator to go to Spike a year earlier. My guess is they don't view Spike countering as a threat, otherwise they would have bought the rights by now.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Yeah, but if the UFC really doesn't want to go head to head with their own product, they can easily buy the rights and call it a day. But doing so would allow Bellator to go to Spike a year earlier. My guess is they don't view Spike countering as a threat, otherwise they would have bought the rights by now.
agreed

its also obvious you are a pretty quality MMA poster man

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge

Exactly, and even if you don't want to go head to head with your own product, they can still look at it as a 3 hour commercial for UFC. If someone doesn't know about the fight on Fox, but stumble on the Spike show that is showing some great fights, they might look into more.