University of Michigan to Build Muslim footbaths

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
College's foot bath plans spark backlash
Project for Muslim students draws accusation U-M Dearborn is giving faith favored treatment.

Plans to install $25,000 foot baths at the University of Michigan-Dearborn are raising hackles and debate. Here's a look at the issue.
Supporters say: The stations are a step toward inclusion for Muslim students who must wash body parts -- including feet -- five times daily before prayers. Student fees, not tax dollars, are footing the bill.
Critics say: The First Amendment bans government from favoring religion. State universities don't spend money on projects that accommodate one religion, such as bowls of holy water for Catholics.
Source: Detroit News research

DEARBORN -- The University of Michigan-Dearborn plans to spend $25,000 for foot-washing stations, making it easier for Muslim students to practice their religion but sparking questions about the separation of church and state.
The university claims the stations are needed to accommodate Muslim students, who must ritually wash their bodies -- including the feet -- up to five times each day before prayers. But critics hit conservative blogs and radio airwaves Monday to argue public money shouldn't cover the cost.
"Technically, they've got a problem, because it's public money they're using to pay for this," said Hal Downs, president of the Michigan chapter of Washington, D.C.-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State.
"It's one of those issues that we're going to be facing more and more in this community."
The issue may push hot buttons in Metro Detroit -- home to as many as 250,000 Muslims -- but in nearby Ypsilanti, no one raised objections when Eastern Michigan University included a private bathroom with a foot-washing area in a new student union that opened in November, said Glenna Frank Miller, its director.
U-M Dearborn will include the floor-level stations at two bathrooms to be constructed in August at the University Center and Fairlane Center buildings, said Terry Gallagher, spokesman for the university. The units are necessary because some students resorted to washing their feet in sinks.
The university of 8,600 students doesn't track them by religion, Gallagher said.
"This was a reasonable accommodation," he said.
Gallagher argued taxpayer money won't be used for the foot baths because the $100,000 total bill for the bathrooms is underwritten by a fee students pay for building maintenance.
But Downs countered the move appears to violate the establishment clause of the First Amendment, which prohibits governments from favoring religions or subsidizing them.
The Detroit chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union isn't getting involved, arguing the foot baths are secular since non-Muslims could use them, said spokeswoman Rana Elmir.
"If they're going to build more bathrooms, why not build them in a way to accommodate the students?" asked Bilal Dabaja, 22, a political science major and Muslim. "There is a sizable minority of students who are Muslims."
A similar controversy erupted in April in Minnesota, when Minneapolis Community and Technical College officials were bombarded with thousands of angry e-mails after announcing plans to build foot wash stations.
The issue was fueled by criticism from conservative Internet bloggers. In Metro Detroit, Southfield attorney Debbie Schlussel is leading the charge against U-M Dearborn's plans, writing: "Forget about the Constitutionally mandated separation of church and state at least when it comes to mosqueand state."
The Internet has created the fuss at U-M Dearborn, argued Dawud Walid, executive director of the Michigan branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
"To my knowledge, none of the students or staff have made any complaints about the foot-washing area," Walid said.
"This whole thing came to light through some right-wing Islama-phobic bloggers that want to promulgate the idea that the university is being Islama-fied."
At EMU, the idea of a foot-washing station at the student center building came about in focus groups that were held with hundreds of community members invited to participate in the planning process, Frank Miller said.
"This concept of the foot-wash was coming up fairly regularly for student groups who might want to do a meeting or prayer group in the student center," she said. "It's been a lovely touch of appreciation for a prayer ritual that's just a little different than what most of us are used to."

Schmed

Of course the ACLU won't go near this one, it doesn't involve the rights of Christians or Jews.

cozzie

head retard
when will this country show a spine?

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
I'm not sure what one of these looks like, but I can only imagine it being used as a urinal for drunk college kids more than a foot washer thingy.

are there any general baths we can have universities install to help assimilate these savages into American society?

Schmed

when will this country show a spine?
When we become a Muslim nation, I give it 10-20 years. This is what they do, they come here seeking a-s-y-l-u-m and then they slowly sneak in their 7th century demands and get these ACLU bums to side with them and show how Americans are not t-o-l-e-r-a-n-t and s-e-n-s-i-t-i-v-e of their religion.

I'm betting very few, if any, students there give a shit whether they build these things or not.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
I'm betting very few, if any, students there give a shit whether they build these things or not.
Agreed. UM has money coming out of their assholes so if they want to piss it away on something like this, who cares?

Everybody needs to relax on this "Muslims taking over" bullshit. No one is taking over anything. America is all about capitalism and religion will always be secondary at best. It always has been, and it always will be. (Don't believe that crap about America founded on religious freedom either, it was more about being able to do business they way they wanted to.)

I live in the most populated state in the country and in my 30+ years of being here I have known the grand total of three Muslims. Two of which were more concerned with getting laid rather than going on some dumb-ass Jihad and the third was about as Muslim as the typical Catholic is, that is to say not at all.

That is how most people who subscribe to religion are. Yes, there are different levels but for the most part they could really give a crap. Again, no one is taking over anything as long as there is a dollar to be made. People need to stop watching so much TV, its filling their minds with unrealistic fears.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
i got 100$ for the first guy to shit in one in front of the arabs

weakside

I'm not sure what one of these looks like, but I can only imagine it being used as a urinal for drunk college kids more than a foot washer thingy.
Lol...

Yeah, this is probably the most realistic outcome of this.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
weakside, try living in New Jersey. I don't give a fuck which state is more populated. At least 3 muslims went to my grammar school which was catholic. They ARE taking over, it might just take longer for them to get across the USA to Cali.

Agreed. UM has money coming out of their assholes so if they want to piss it away on something like this, who cares?

Everybody needs to relax on this "Muslims taking over" bullshit. No one is taking over anything. America is all about capitalism and religion will always be secondary at best. It always has been, and it always will be. (Don't believe that crap about America founded on religious freedom either, it was more about being able to do business they way they wanted to.)

I live in the most populated state in the country and in my 30+ years of being here I have known the grand total of three Muslims. Two of which were more concerned with getting laid rather than going on some dumb-ass Jihad and the third was about as Muslim as the typical Catholic is, that is to say not at all.

That is how most people who subscribe to religion are. Yes, there are different levels but for the most part they could really give a crap. Again, no one is taking over anything as long as there is a dollar to be made. People need to stop watching so much TV, its filling their minds with unrealistic fears.
No clue. Not a single one. WE've had threads about this in the past, where even the most mild-mannered ones have extremist ideas. It is also muslim to sympathize with your brothers, even if they are blowing people up, because they are muslim and everyone else has not accepted the prophet mohammed. Fools continue to compare this to the crusades, which ended hundreds of years ago and the people moved forward. We all learned from that. One of the directives of Islam is to turn the whole world into Muslims, by forced conversion or death, then the prophet will return to the earth, or unshroud himself, depending on which sect you belong to.

They are interpreting the prophecy of the evil empire as the US, now muslims have a reason to band together in some form to obtain a higher directive. While Christianity has lost lots of followers, Islam's followers are not only becoming more numerous, but they are becoming more extreme because they have something to believe in and an earthly goal tied into their religion.

Islam also showed its influence in the Spain elections several years ago. Even we have tied our national security into the threat of Islam and used this for bipartisanship in elections ("vote for the other party and we WILL be attacked").

As far as religious freedom from the state and all that other crap, why do you think every politician caters to the religious groups? Why do you think they keep bringing up morality, abortion, and other shit? It's because they cater to the extremists. Why do we all take an oath to the bible in court? Don't we have separation of church and state?

I will say it again and again and again, Americans are fucking stupid. The ones that sit down, fat, complacent, thinking Islam is an over-hyped news story are fucking wrong. 1. many of the areas where terror exist is because of Islam. They want land. Give them land, they want more. 2. They fight within themselves and show zero religious tolerance. 3. They are using our laws of freedom against us. 4. My parents and grandparents have already seen the horrors of Islam elsewhere in the world and left to go to one place that is now placing Islam on a pedestal above all other people. Left there to come here and now Islam is being placed on a pedestal by idiot bleeding hearts that think there's no threat because they see light skinned, western looking moderate speaking heads that tell them, "Islam is a religion of peace", while sending money to the Jihadists in secret.

Fuck you and fuck everyone like you because you think Islam is not a threat. Fuck all of you.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Why bother washing your feet when the rest of you is going to stink like one anyway?

That money coming out of their assholes comes from student fees and subsidies. The costs of college are rediculous.

But this is more symbolic than anything. They are doing something most public universities won't do for other students. I hope someone takes a nasty shit in them.

iNFaMousToM

O&A Hardcore Newbie Listener

University of Michigan is fuckin' rich as hell, but University of Michigan-Dearborn is as equally broke. I actually go to this school and am heavily involved in the student life (95% of the campus drives to school, goes to class, drives home) the other 5% stay and socialize and actually contribute to the college life. There are reflection rooms placed strategically everywhere on campus. I personally have no problem with it because if it wasn't used for reflection it would just be another study booth for shitdicks who need a sanctuary to study.

But anyways, I don't think it is that big of a deal, knowing the people on campus. Barely any of the Muslim kids pray while they are at school anyways, most just pray when they are around their parents or elders. In my Freshman year, at least 8 girls stopped wearing their hijabs (scarfs) and no one even really batted an eye. I even dated one of them :haha7:

And it will be funny to see what really does happen with these things, I doubt anyone will have the balls to piss or shit into one of them. The muslim guys are like a gang, I'm already on their most hated list because for some reason Muslim girls love me.

Plunkies

Today they're installing foot baths, tomorrow they'll be installing bomb vest dispensers. It's a slippery slope.

iNFaMousToM

O&A Hardcore Newbie Listener
They spent 10s of millions building an engineering building which I've seen 5 people total in all year. Now that is something to be upset at, as a student.

weakside

No clue. Not a single one. WE've had threads about this in the past, where even the most mild-mannered ones have extremist ideas. It is also muslim to sympathize with your brothers, even if they are blowing people up, because they are muslim and everyone else has not accepted the prophet mohammed. Fools continue to compare this to the crusades, which ended hundreds of years ago and the people moved forward. We all learned from that. One of the directives of Islam is to turn the whole world into Muslims, by forced conversion or death, then the prophet will return to the earth, or unshroud himself, depending on which sect you belong to.

They are interpreting the prophecy of the evil empire as the US, now muslims have a reason to band together in some form to obtain a higher directive. While Christianity has lost lots of followers, Islam's followers are not only becoming more numerous, but they are becoming more extreme because they have something to believe in and an earthly goal tied into their religion.

Islam also showed its influence in the Spain elections several years ago. Even we have tied our national security into the threat of Islam and used this for bipartisanship in elections ("vote for the other party and we WILL be attacked").

As far as religious freedom from the state and all that other crap, why do you think every politician caters to the religious groups? Why do you think they keep bringing up morality, abortion, and other shit? It's because they cater to the extremists. Why do we all take an oath to the bible in court? Don't we have separation of church and state?

I will say it again and again and again, Americans are fucking stupid. The ones that sit down, fat, complacent, thinking Islam is an over-hyped news story are fucking wrong. 1. many of the areas where terror exist is because of Islam. They want land. Give them land, they want more. 2. They fight within themselves and show zero religious tolerance. 3. They are using our laws of freedom against us. 4. My parents and grandparents have already seen the horrors of Islam elsewhere in the world and left to go to one place that is now placing Islam on a pedestal above all other people. Left there to come here and now Islam is being placed on a pedestal by idiot bleeding hearts that think there's no threat because they see light skinned, western looking moderate speaking heads that tell them, "Islam is a religion of peace", while sending money to the Jihadists in secret.

Fuck you and fuck everyone like you because you think Islam is not a threat. Fuck all of you.
Boy, the news has done a number on you my friend. Your manifesto reads like the writings of a nut .

You are so afraid of the "Boogey Man" it has clouded everything you believe. You are so filled with hate and fear you think everyone is out to get you. Your like the black extremists that think all white people get together in a meeting in order to discuss how to eradicate them. I got news for you, no one really cares what you do or how you do it as long as you don't screw with them. Get over yourself.

1. You claim, "many of the areas where terror exist is because of Islam." That is true. It is also true that many times crime is committed by a person who is poor. Thus, by your reasoning all poor people commit crime and therefore must be eliminated. This is the rambling of a crazy person. Not all poor people commit crime, and not all Muslims want to blow things up. It’s just not realistic.

2. "They fight with themselves and show zero tolerance." If we decided to get rid of every group and/or organization, especially those involving religion, that fight within itself there would be nothing left. Anyway, you of all people have no right to point the finger at someone for not being "tolerant".

3. "They are using our laws of freedom against us." Are you trying to convince me that we should change any of our freedoms for an extremist group? The fact is freedom means that other people are going to do and say some things you don't like. I’m sorry if you don’t like that but that is what living in a democracy is all about. Because they have that freedom you can't tell them what to do, just like that can't tell you what to do. Maybe you would prefer living somewhere else where you get to make all the rules and everyone has to agree with you? Good luck with that.

4. "My parents and grandparents have already seen the horrors of Islam elsewhere in the world and left to go to one place that is now placing Islam on a pedestal above all other people." This I can't speak to because I don't know what you family went through and would not assume to know either.

5. "Fuck you and fuck everyone like you because you think Islam is not a threat. Fuck all of you." Excellent point, crazy person.

Again, I really don't think you are a bad guy, I just think your one of these guys that assumes everything on T.V is real. It’s not. Stories are blown out of proportion and builds into your fear to do one thing and one thing only, to keep you watching. You have obviously completely bought into it. I agree, any extremist within a religion is dangerous because they think their acts are blessed by their “God”. We see extreme behavior within a religion every day. Children being withheld medical care assuming "God" will cure the disease, abortion clinics being burned down, Exorcisms being performed of the mentally disabled, and buildings being flown into. These are the acts of mad men that use religion as the vehicle for their terror. But the fact is they are in fact insane and if it wasn’t the Muslim faith these idiots would be using something else as a justification for their acts.

Once again, you can't generalize an entire race, religion, or culture for the acts of some. I can easily introduce you to a Muslim who does not want to blow you up, can you prove every Muslim is crazy and is out to destroy you? Doubtful.

But what really shows your thinking is faulty is your belief America is suddenly n love with Islam. Where the hell have you been in the last six years? If anything America has given the silent and sometimes not so silent ok to discriminate against Islam. It is a stupid footbath that will, as someone else put it, most likely going to be used as a urinal. It is not the fall of capitalism.

Holy shit, I can't generalize from what I see on tv? Who the FUCK are you to tell me that everything I know about Islam is what I have seen on tv? You are the one that only knows about Islam from reading the paper and seeing it on tv, which is why you are drawing the half-assed conclusions you are.

You have zero clue, none at all and you're doing nothing but wasting your time putting together these thoughts of an uninformed person. To those that have experienced it, to those that have had their lives in danger here and abroad due to these people, you are a total misguided fool.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Just put some pork chops in the foot-bath, then it will be "unclean" and will not be used.

Wow, just wow. The ACLU will raise a stink about the 10 Commandments on display or school prayer before a football game, but just look the other way on this.

There are just some who do not want to understand that it is the goal of Islam to conquer us, kill us, or convert us. They are stuck in the 7th century.

That's just the truth.

This is happening in the UK, and if we continue to cater to these savages, this is what we will get

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

weakside

Holy shit, I can't generalize from what I see on tv? Who the FUCK are you to tell me that everything I know about Islam is what I have seen on tv? You are the one that only knows about Islam from reading the paper and seeing it on tv, which is why you are drawing the half-assed conclusions you are.

You have zero clue, none at all and you're doing nothing but wasting your time putting together these thoughts of an uninformed person. To those that have experienced it, to those that have had their lives in danger here and abroad due to these people, you are a total misguided fool.
Please, educate me and tell me where and when Islam is destroying capitalism in this country right now as we write? Please tell me how this "scary" religion is bringing our country to a halt? Islam, like all other religions, is a joke.

Better yet, give me one instance where Islam has stopped you from living your way of life.

Your right, I can't assume everything you know regarding Islam comes from the media (I was being somewhat facetious and could be construed as an attack on your intelligence, so I apologize). But at the same time you write like I don't live in this country and see what is going on around me, and I don't see this "threat" destroying my way of life. Do you have proof it is?*

*Unless you are a solider or know a solider who is fighting overseas. I guess we could go round and round on the cause of that as well but no real point and I will simply concede the point and thank the person for putting their life on the line for our country.

Just to add: I am not defending Islam. I think all religions are bullshit. I just think the media has blew the threat it poses since 9/11 out of proportion. But I do think extremists have to be stopped.

Please, educate me and tell me where and when Islam is destroying capitalism in this country right now as we write? Please tell me how this "scary" religion is bringing our country to a halt? Islam, like all other religions, is a joke.

Better yet, give me one instance where Islam has stopped you from living your way of life.

Your right, I can't assume everything you know regarding Islam comes from the media (I was being somewhat facetious and could be construed as an attack on your intelligence, so I apologize). But at the same time you write like I don't live in this country and see what is going on around me, and I don't see this "threat" destroying my way of life. Do you have proof it is?*

*Unless you are a solider or know a solider who is fighting overseas. I guess we could go round and round on the cause of that as well but no real point and I will simply concede the point and thank the person for putting their life on the line for our country.
Wow, I can't believe you just wrote that. In fact, the beginning was ludicrous enough.

weakside

Wow, I can't believe you just wrote that. In fact, the beginning was ludicrous enough.
Here is my problem with trying to respect your comments, you don't provide proof or evidence to back up what you say. What is ludicrous about acknowledging that soldiers involved in a war overseas against Islamic extremists have a right to say Islam directly effects them?