Unrated versions EXACTLY the same as R versions

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
What the fuck is the difference between the unrated Knocked Up and the r rated Knocked Up? Is this just a scam to get more people to get the dvd?

And Orgazmo, I didn't notice any differences between the two versions except the music they played during the orgazmatron scene was different.

Enlighten me please, there must be something I'm not noticing.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I think the only difference with a movie like "Knocked Up" or any comedy is the unrated version is basically a slightly longer version with deleted scenes that would usually be listed as "extras" are actually edited into the film. There might be one or two boob flashes but not much else.

In horror movies, I think it's really unedited, it might seem like a couple of seconds but those are usually shots that would not of been allowed by the MPAA.

It's kind of a scam, for comedies but for some reason most people buy into it, reports have shown the unrated version sell a lot better.

I wonder why the Christian groups haven't protested these yet. Walmart and Target have big warnings for explicit albums and mature video games, but it always looks like the unrated movies are fine for anyone to buy.

WeToYou

I am fucking pointless.
Jan 18, 2006
Dude, it's fucking bull shit...
They'll give you 15-20 seconds extra content, and act like it's something you REALLY missed out on.
Fuck em.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Fucking Pissing me off thing is...if I go the movie the first run...same as unrated version DVD...whereas, I notice edits in the "regular" Dvd I buy....It pisses me off!!

WeToYou

I am fucking pointless.
Jan 18, 2006
Hudson man...fuckin' real talk.
Lets just settle on this:
Fuck the Hollywood industry in general.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
only time I EVER Buy anything than the unrated DVD is if it is the Director's...usually you get a few good extras...like extra scenes

WeToYou

I am fucking pointless.
Jan 18, 2006
Yeah...especially with the DVDS where the directors are bitching..."They fucked up my film!"...
Then, I'll especially buy the Director's cut.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
oh Blade Runner Director's Cut is Awesome!
But The Spielberg recutting shit to make it more innocent...pissed me off!
Blue Velvet Directors Cut is Great as well!

WeToYou

I am fucking pointless.
Jan 18, 2006
Haha...the REAL studio directors are cunts, in general. They try to make the director cuts more commercial then it already is.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
The unrated Team American gives you the shitting on chest scene

UnOriginal

Companion Cube Lover
Feb 16, 2005
The unrated version of Death Proof gives you the lap dance scene.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
What the fuck is the difference between the unrated Knocked Up and the r rated Knocked Up? Is this just a scam to get more people to get the dvd?

And Orgazmo, I didn't notice any differences between the two versions except the music they played during the orgazmatron scene was different.

Enlighten me please, there must be something I'm not noticing.
If you watch the commercial for the unrated dvd of Knocked Up..... they pretty much show you every added scene, so there's no need to see it again if you already have.

Most flicks that are released unrated just throw in an extra pair of tits, so it is a scam.

The only time unrated means anything substantial is with horror flicks, because there's always extra gore.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Yeah? I saw it at the theatre...first week...
No you didn't. When it was shown in the theatre it said 'reel missing' just as she is starting the lap dance.

Fucking Pissing me off thing is...if I go the movie the first run...same as unrated version DVD...whereas, I notice edits in the "regular" Dvd I buy....It pisses me off!!
Can you (or anyone else) give us an example of a "regular" DVD that's cut from the theatrical release?

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
it gives ya almost a half hour more footage. and the Knocked Up Unrated is mostly for the Two Discs which i havent checked the second disc yet but the first is pristine .

WonkaVision

To my Friends!!! To My Friends!!!
Sep 5, 2005
HOUSTON
If a movie adds even 1 second of footage, it becomes "Unrated" because it has not been revied by the motion picture association. American Psycho pulled this shit..added 2 seconds and called it unrated. Total bullshit.

Dec 3, 2005
If a movie adds even 1 second of footage, it becomes "Unrated" because it has not been revied by the motion picture association. American Psycho pulled this shit..added 2 seconds and called it unrated. Total bullshit.
Yeah, a lot of movies just throw in stuff for the sake of being able to advertise it as "Unrated" and get more purchases. And I'll be damned if it doesn't work. Who wants to rent/buy a rated version if there's an unrated one too?

Horror movies are different though, unrated = more gooder.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
And another scene or two a bit longer.

The unrated Director's cut of Natural Born Killer's is way better then the commercial release. The prison riot is so over the top, especially the barbershop scene that surely would piss off Quentin.

Also, the unrated Director's cut of Donnie Darko is way better as it fills in a lot of gaps then the regular version does.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
THe LOTR triology has an incredible amount of scenes that were cut for length that do not detract from the story...that is one instance where I am taking the unedited over the original for sure

Yea, DD actually had almost a whole freaking short film cut from it.
Donnie Darko is the only "Director's Cut" I have ever heard of where the fans seem to prefer the ORIGINAL version. Tons of reviews I've read decry the later cut as not being as good as the original.

Now... Which should I get? I bought the Director's Cut after I saw it on sale, took it home, read the reviews (as I often do with movies that have multiple versions for sale), and then took it back... And now you guys are saying that it's better. :huh:

edzeppe

Dec 11, 2004
unrated doesnt even mean the additional content would have changed the rating... it just means they cut some (time, mistakes, shitty scene) of the movie before it was submitted to ratings board-- there for it was never rated.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Can you (or anyone else) give us an example of a "regular" DVD that's cut from the theatrical release?
Aliens. In the theater they marines salvaged some automated guns from the wreckage of the flier. There was a scene of them setting up the automated guns (right before Ripley gets shown how to use her rifle) and a scene of the aliens storming the hallways and getting cut down by the automated guns...uselessly.

Still looking for a version of the movie that has that scene.