upgraded my pc, what games should i get

happyshark

Earl we got any _____ back there?
Jan 20, 2003
OHIO STATE
I ordered an acer 22" widescreen monitor and a new videocard, they're coming in 3 days. Heres my specs:

intel pentium d 2.8 dual core cpu
evga 7600gt 256mb video card
1gig of ram

I've been out of the pc gaming loop for a long fucking time now and I'm ready to get back into it. Unfortunately I cant download games off of torrents cuz the person running it will kick me off. I like fps and action games in general. Crackdown for xbox was the most fun game I played so far this year.

I'm thinking of half life 2: episode 1 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I don't know how they'll run and there is no demos for them...I don't want to waste $50 on something i cant play.....I've heard Oblivion is good but I tried it for a bit on 360 and I couldn't figure out where to go. What about counter strike:source ....never played it, is it good? My friend also lent me the original deus ex but i havent touched it yet :hamm:::hammer:

happyshark

Jan 20, 2003
OHIO STATE
oh I forgot...is F.E.A.R. or Battlefield 2 and good?

happyshark

Jan 20, 2003
OHIO STATE
I did want to play supreme commander but I know it will cripple my system. plus I dont believe I have the mind for strategy games.....I lost 99% of online warcraft and starcraft matches when they were big

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Commander Keen in Goodbye Galaxies

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
Jun 2, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Half Life 2, Battlefield 2, or Battlefield 2142 would be my first choices if you are into shooters. Also, HL2 comes with Counterstrike Source.

happyshark

Jan 20, 2003
OHIO STATE
Well the card performed horribly when i got it yesterday....even when i turned resolutions way down and all antialiasing stuff off it wouldnt stop skipping. ran the 3dmark05 test and got a 3400...called tech support.

I had to order a new powersupply because mine is only 350w and thats the bare minimum. :arrrh:

I got a 500w one for $40 and a matching second gig of ram for $60 and they're both coming in a few days. cant wait and hope it works.

T

ThunderPimp

Don't get battlefield 2 or 2142 unless you have 2Gb of ram.

happyshark

Jan 20, 2003
OHIO STATE
Ok after getting a 22" wide monitor, 7600gt, another gig of ram and a new power supply I spent $500. When I build a system next time I can recycle a lot and I'll just need a new motherboard, cpu, vid card and case. hahahaha....

anyway, does anyone know about playing on ahem cracked servers? I would buy the games but its not possible to do that at the moment ::hammer:

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I would have went with an 8000 series nvidia card for the DirectX 10 support, a cheap 19 inch tube monitor, then bought a Dual Core proccessor with at least 4 meg of L2 cache.

happyshark

Jan 20, 2003
OHIO STATE
I would have went with an 8000 series nvidia card for the DirectX 10 support, a cheap 19 inch tube monitor, then bought a Dual Core proccessor with at least 4 meg of L2 cache.
tube monitor :haha7:....i'll be getting more money soon enough...this lcd is great! dont regret it one bit

happyshark

Jan 20, 2003
OHIO STATE
Doom 3 runs amazing...so much faster and better than the regular xbox version.

I'm trading in 4 old games to a gamestop near me and they'll give me $30 credit for it...I can buy either Counterstrike source (includes day of defeat source as well) or battlefield 2142. Both games cost $30.

My computer is running great now thanks to the 2 gigs of ram. What should i get...? I'm thinking CS:S right now but I saw some 2142 gameplay footage last night and it looked cool as well...BUT EA didnt enable widescreen resolutions. I think the decision has been made gentlemen.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
My computer comes in the mail today! Oh fuck yeah! It's been a long week and a half, but July 10th has arrived. Good timing too because I don't work tomorrow or Thursday. I'll pick up BF2142 today and I already have WoW and CS:Source. I've been out of the PC gaming loop since 1997 so bare with me. Should I be using Gamespy still to find games? Any more games that aren't listed? I'm strictly an online gamer, I don't even bother with single player.

Here's my new system's specs:

- Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium (32-bit)
- AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 5200+ dual-core - 2.6GHz
- 4GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024)
- 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, DVI-I, TV-out, HDMI
- No Modem
- 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
- LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
- 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, video
- ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
- Sound Blaster Audigy X-Fi, 24-bit Xtreme Fidelity

I'm signed up for Pestgaming.com... what's the most popular amongst you guys? I've seen Insurgency but I don't get it. Is it a free downloadable mod? Or do I need to buy the full version at the store? And most importantly... since I'm trying to get more than one opinion, will this machine cut it? Thanks fellas.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Oh man! Got my computer and I'm blown away with Vista so far. It's insane how retarded they think I am though when you first boot up a computer. I don't need to know what the mouse and keyboard are.