UPS saved 3 Million Gallons of Gas-- By Not Turning Left

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Left-Hand-Turn Elimination

It seems that sitting in the left lane, engine idling, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so you can make a left-hand turn, is minutely wasteful — of time and peace of mind, for sure, but also of gas and therefore money. Not a ton of gas and money if we’re talking about just you and your Windstar, say, but immensely wasteful if we’re talking about more than 95,000 big square brown trucks delivering packages every day. And this realization — that when you operate a gigantic fleet of vehicles, tiny improvements in the efficiency of each one will translate to huge savings overall — is what led U.P.S. to limit further the number of left-hand turns its drivers make.

Drawing From New Sources The company employs what it calls a “package flow” software program, which among other hyperefficient practices involving the packing and sorting of its cargo, maps out routes for every one of its drivers, drastically reducing the number of left-hand turns they make (taking into consideration, of course, those instances where not to make the left-hand turn would result in a ridiculously circuitous route).

Last year, according to Heather Robinson, a U.P.S. spokeswoman, the software helped the company shave 28.5 million miles off its delivery routes, which has resulted in savings of roughly three million gallons of gas and has reduced CO2 emissions by 31,000 metric tons. So what can Brown do for you? We can’t speak to how good or bad they are in the parcel-delivery world, but they won’t be clogging up the left-hand lane while they do their business.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
So this explains it, Ant's ex-mother-n-law used to be a UPS driver. Linger Longer

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
The article mentioned efficiency, but never mentioned the danger of left hand turns! That's why Judy didn't make them, too dangerous. Unlike UPS, she was a big fan of "ridiculously circuitous route".

Why not spend your Christmas vacation doing a little duct work? Lingerrrr longerrrrr.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Pretty fucking smart idea.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I'd like to see that software work.. just really for the mileage expense. I'm gonna think about this while hunting for a parking spot on the street tomorrow in NYC. Seems interesting & I'm sure it could help traffic. Idling in left lanes creates traffic and traffic increases hours on the engine. I'm not sure about the mileage tho. three rights is still around the block.

I have a habit of leaving engines idle if I need to move in a short amount of time. especially with diesel boats. Reason is that i thought that repeated starting would cut the time investment on the starters.. which are ridiculously expensive from Perkins. A four cylinder marine diesel burns about a pint of fuel an hour.. the damn starters are around 1effing K... easy call if you have a shitty parts connection.

Anyone on here have a connect with Perkins/Sabre marine? They suck, but their engines are soooooooo nice.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
I'd like to see that software work.. just really for the mileage expense. I'm gonna think about this while hunting for a parking spot on the street tomorrow in NYC. Seems interesting & I'm sure it could help traffic. Idling in left lanes creates traffic and traffic increases hours on the engine. I'm not sure about the mileage tho. three rights is still around the block.

I have a habit of leaving engines idle if I need to move in a short amount of time. especially with diesel boats. Reason is that i thought that repeated starting would cut the time investment on the starters.. which are ridiculously expensive from Perkins. A four cylinder marine diesel burns about a pint of fuel an hour.. the damn starters are around 1effing K... easy call if you have a shitty parts connection.

Anyone on here have a connect with Perkins/Sabre marine? They suck, but their engines are soooooooo nice.

Hope you have that ADD at the card game this weekend:action-sm

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
ahhh, bullshit.. thats stupid.

waiting to go left takes less gas than four rights? get the fuck outa here.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
They plan their routes so it's a big right circle. I just read an article on UPS and how detailed their analysis is. They've studied EVERYTHING, even how to efficiently turn the key in the ignition. they've spent millions on this stuff. I think there's something to it.

And with all due respect, Mr. President, at least in NJ you save gas making rights because you can go right on red. NYC, not so much. :)

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
it makes perfect sense to me, i used to have a job rediculassly close to my home, but it was much more effective for me to drive to work (i needed the ablilty to be able to run errands during the day at a moments notice and it saved me a lot of time at lunch) but my commute was a circle of rights, what was funny is that i wore out my right upper ball joints faster on my truck, it worked out well for me, i also used to make a large loop to avoid having to cross a major highway in a shitty spot, it also made my drive a little longer whilst moving, on advrage i would have to wait longer to pull across the highway, it also gave me a few extra seconds of silence.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
With all that money saved, think of all the extra boxes of wine you can now afford....