OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Upstream Color- The New Movie from Shane Carruth (The Guy Who Did Primer)

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by LiddyRules, Dec 4, 2012.

1. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

SOS likes this.
  2. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

I have no idea what I just watched, but I liked Primer. Ill give it a shot.

3. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

It's weird, so I'm in.

4. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Love Primer. So in.

5. LiddyRules

Full trailer

6. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I haven't the faintest idea what this is even about.

7. LiddyRules

Does that matter?

8. fletcher

Donator

I thought a longer trailer would clarify what was going on, not make it more confusing.

9. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I'll rephrase that: I haven't the faintest idea if this is even in the vein of Primer or just a straight indie drama or whatever.

10. LiddyRules

My response sounded a bit cunty. I meant "isn't it kind of cool to still be confused?" more than "fuck you and your need for all the information."

11. whiskeyguy

I got the sense that the chick is dealing with a terminal illness, but I don't have much faith in that conclusion.

12. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

It didn't come across as cunty at all. I actually sorta share that position of enjoying vagary and confusion in these cases. I saw Primer without knowing anything about what it was going to be about, which made it that much more entertaining. I rephrased it because the second version was what I actually meant. The first teaser seemed more clear cut about... what do you call it? Supernatural/science fiction/mindfuck stuff? I think we need a sweeping general term for movies that deal with stuff that either doesn't exist, or blurs the distinction between what exists and what doesn't. I suggest "otherworldly" or perhaps "true fiction" as opposed to "realistic fiction"? Point is this trailer was less clear about whether that was going to be the case. I've already explained why, but having those things would make it better for me.

13. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

From what I've been able to piece together from the internet, the plot is a romantic sci-fi thriller about a woman who has been abducted and brainwashed, and later meets a man who appears to have undergone the same process.

14. fletcher

Donator

So a more serious Eternal Sunshine?

15. Konstantin K

Konstantin K Big League Poster

I just finished watching this and I'm still trying to piece together what happened. With the two main characters, I guess I get what was going on. But the pig farmer guy with all the audio equipment still has me confused. I guess I'll have to watch it again.

I think I liked it, though not as much as Primer.

16. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

Is it on iTunes or did you see it in theaters?

17. Konstantin K

I borrowed the DVD from a friend of mine.

18. LiddyRules

Is it out on DVD yet? I saw it in theaters, liked it (though not as much as Primer), and want to watch it again because it's the type of movie you probably need to watch again.

19. Konstantin K

Via Amazon:
    DVD Release Date: May 7, 2013

20. whiskeyguy

Saw it, thought it was pretty well made and I think I have most of the plot figured out. I didn't really connect everything until the last 20 or 30 minutes of the movie.

This is what I think was going on, if you want to read.

Bufferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So the dude who drugged the main girl in the beginning used a combination of a slug and leaves it eats. This makes someone completely susceptible to suggestion when they ingest it. I think he has to keep them awake, and does so by making the girl copy the text of "Walden". He then steals everything she owns.

Then the pig farmer comes in. His goal or "job" is to help people that are victims of the dude who has drugged them. He plays a certain type of music that attracts those infested with the slug to him. He removes the slug from the girl and places it into a pig, which somehow links the two. The farmer also has some link to them I think.

The pig linked with the girl and the one linked with her soon-to-be husband meet, thus the two people meet in life. They mate and the pig gets pregnant, which is why the girl thought she was pregnant also.

Using Walden, the guy and girl start triggering memories that will somehow lead them to the pig farmer. I don't know why they killed him, maybe over the hurt caused by him killing the piglets (which they may feel is also their offspring to some extent). They then contact all the other people who the farmer operated on, sending them copies of Walden to help them trigger their memories. They then decide to care for the pigs themselves, due to the connection they feel.

The piglets that were thrown into the water released something when they died, which "polluted" the exotic plants the guy used in conjunction with the slugs to drug his victims. I believe at the end it shows that those plants were ruined, and thus eliminating his ability to drug more people.

There are a lot of little things that still don't really make sense... I'll definitely have to watch it again.

21. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

I just watched this last night. And while it was beautifully shot and edited I still think it could have been made better. Maybe not better but more user friendly. I realize most movies are dumbed down past the point f absurdity but this movie seemed to be confusing for the sake of being confusing. Was it a good movie? Yes but it could have been great if it wasn't soooo pretentious.