Urgent chicken related explanation needed

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
So there's this story on retarded NBC, about 70.000 chickens dying because some guy turned off the power to the chicken house.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ltry-farm-causes-death-of-70000-chickens?lite

But they don't explain why. I am assuming the fucking things are newborns, but still, it's the middle of the summer. Why would they die without power? In 15 minutes no less?

A man wandering around a Delmar, Md., poultry farm in a drunken stupor turned off the power to three chicken houses, causing the deaths of nearly 70,000 chickens, sheriff’s officials said.

The property owner who made the grisly discovery found the man, identified as Joshua D. Shelton, 21, of Delmar, Md., passed out on the floor of the power control shed, wearing only a T-shirt and boxer shorts.

“This subject was also lying in a pool of his own urine. A strong odor of alcohol was also coming from the subject,” Wicomico County sheriff’s Lt. Tim Robinson said in a press release.

The investigating deputy awakened the man.

“Shelton advised the last thing he remembered was being on the property after a nearby concert but did not know how he ended up in the shed. The deputy surmised that in his intoxicated state, Shelton turned off the circuit breakers that controlled the electricity to the chicken houses,” Robinson said.

Shelton was arrested and booked into jail on charges of second-degree burglary, trespass and malicious destruction of property.

The property owner discovered the dead chickens Saturday morning. He told investigators that without power, the chickens will begin to die within 15 minutes. The birds, which were due to be delivered to a local processing plant the following day, were valued at $20,000.

Allen Farms, which was going to process the birds, estimated its loss at $220,000, said sheriff's Chief Deputy Gary Baker.

Shelton had been at the owner's property the previous evening with a group of people that included the owner’s daughter, Baker said.

“The daughter thought he left, but instead he wandered into the shed where all the power controls and breakers were and turned it off,” Baker told NBC News on Tuesday.

"Quite frankly, he was probably in a condition where he really didn’t know what he was doing,” Baker said.

"The theory is that he may have been in there looking for a light switch," Robinson told DelmarvaNow.com.

Baker said he’s heard of flocks of chickens dying due to natural occurrences such as drought and heat waves, "but never anything like this manmade that we can remember.”

Bill Satterfield, executive director of Delmarva Poultry Industry Inc., a local trade group, said he was surprised by news of the poultry caper.

"I have never heard of a drunkard going in and killing chickens," he told DelmarvaNow.com. "This is a new one on me, and it's unfortunate that it occurred."

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Is it because they ran out of Oxygen somehow?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The story I read said that he turned the air filtration system off or something like that.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I've seen an entire building of piggies die when the ventilation got turned off. They run out of air. Think about being in a small car with 6 football players and close all the windows.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
That's an average of 23.3 Thousand Chickens per "House". Given a bird's sensitivity to airborne pollutants, I'd guess that is was air quality related as well.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Farm chickens are very sensitive. The guy said they start dying after 15 minutes, but the process probably takes a while.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
I'm guessing heat. It would build up fast without the ventilation on.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
That and all the ammonia in the air from the shit all over the place.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I would say heat or the ammonia build up

all the chicken and turkey houses around here are open all the ways around in the summer and I do not see any fans but they do have electric motors that run the augers that supply the food to the feeders

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Ever smell a chicken house? I'm betting they died from their own stench.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
The birds, which were due to be delivered to a local processing plant the following day, were valued at $20,000.

Allen Farms, which was going to process the birds, estimated its loss at $220,000, said sheriff's Chief Deputy Gary Baker.
So they're worth 28 cents to the farmer, and $3.14 to the processor. That's quite a nice markup. Unless they're factoring in some sort of penalties for breaking contracts with their buyers.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Asphyxiation due to lack of ventilation or heat stroke due to lack of air conditioning.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
So they're worth 28 cents to the farmer, and $3.14 to the processor. That's quite a nice markup. Unless they're factoring in some sort of penalties for breaking contracts with their buyers.
Nope, farmers don't get shit for what they produce.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
They panicked because there wasn't a road in sight. 70,000 little heart attacks.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Probably from a combination of heat and poor air quality. One time we made the mistake of driving behind a chicken house without rolling up the windows on the truck. The industrial exhaust fan blew a tornado of the most vile smelling shit and about 50 flies right into our faces. Also if you've ever had the pleasure of cleaning our a chicken coop, even a small one, you would totally understand why they died.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Probably my favorite topic title ever. I couldn't wait to find out what this was about.

RIP house of chickens