US police ploy 'insults' Osbourne (Ozzy)

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Don't think I've seen this here yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7077810.stm

Rocker Ozzy Osbourne has claimed his reputation was tarnished by a police operation in the United States.

A party supposedly involving the star was organised in Fargo, North Dakota - but it was actually a scam by officers to round up missing criminal suspects.

Five hundred people with outstanding arrest warrants were sent invitations, and more than 30 suspects turned up.

Osbourne said it was "insulting" that his name was used but police argued it was a "creative" way to fight crime.

The star was selected because he was due to play a gig in a nearby arena, which was used to explain why he would supposedly be attending the event.

'Lazy policework'

County Sheriff Paul Laney said he "meant no disrespect toward Mr Osbourne or his show".

"What we did was a very creative law enforcement technique to lure individuals who had active criminal warrants to come to us."

All of those who attended were detained, he added.

But this did not impress the former Black Sabbath singer.

"Instead of holding a press conference to pat himself on the back, Sheriff Laney should be apologising to me for using my name in connection with these arrests," Osbourne said.

"It is insulting to me and to my audience and it shows how lazy this particular sheriff is when it comes to doing his job."

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
It's not the first time law enforcement has used a ploy such as this. It's done all the time. Ozzie is the first one I've ever heard being upset though. My ex owed child support to his ex-wife. It was somewhere in the ball park of $10,000. He was sent a letter saying he'd been selected to receive a pair of Guns & Roses tickets but had to pick them up. Of course the idiot went and of course there were no tickets, just a bunch of other deadbeat dads thinking they were getting something for nothing.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Did l'ill Jimmy fall for it? Be pretty funny if he was AWOL tomorrow.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Were they also promised a free boat?

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Orange County,NY - Hudson Valley
I don't see the big problem with this. They are only picking out the deadbeats and scumbags, so Ozzy shouldn't give a shit about them anyway. His law abiding fans wouldn't be asked to show up anyway and if they were...fuck 'em.

Funny thing is, these assholes fall for it all the time. Yes, because everyone is offered a free TV all the time. :rolleyes: It's funny to see the film of these stings.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I don't see the big problem with this. They are only picking out the deadbeats and scumbags, so Ozzy shouldn't give a shit about them anyway. His law abiding fans wouldn't be asked to show up anyway and if they were...fuck 'em.

Funny thing is, these assholes fall for it all the time. Yes, because everyone is offered a free TV all the time. :rolleyes: It's funny to see the film of these stings.
SO you don't see a problem with creating a brand name around being anti-establishment and having the government use your image and copyrighted name sake for their own purposes without so much as a please?

I mean, would Zach DeLarocha not have a reason to be pissed if the Republican Party used Rage Against the Machine songs for campaigning? What if the DEA wanted to use Willie Nelson songs/events as a way to lure would be drug users?

I'd sue the department for copyright infringement, fraud, and anything else my team of million dollar Ozzy attorneys could think of.

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
SO you don't see a problem with creating a brand name around being anti-establishment and having the government use your image and copyrighted name sake for their own purposes without so much as a please?

I mean, would Zach DeLarocha not have a reason to be pissed if the Republican Party used Rage Against the Machine songs for campaigning? What if the DEA wanted to use Willie Nelson songs/events as a way to lure would be drug users?

I'd sue the department for copyright infringement, fraud, and anything else my team of million dollar Ozzy attorneys could think of.
To catch scumbags??? Fuck no, I would have no problem what-so-fucking-ever. These asshats need to be taken care of. They're aren't using it to make money off his name. Fuck these douchebags and their crimes. If Ozzy didn't make a complaint, you and I never would have heard of it, so where is the problem? He should be happy that his name is doing a good deed. Maybe some of his fans are people that got screwed over by these dickheads or in a similar situation.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
To catch scumbags??? Fuck no, I would have no problem what-so-fucking-ever. These asshats need to be taken care of. They're aren't using it to make money off his name. Fuck these douchebags and their crimes. If Ozzy didn't make a complaint, you and I never would have heard of it, so where is the problem? He should be happy that his name is doing a good deed. Maybe some of his fans are people that got screwed over by these dickheads or in a similar situation.
Define scum bag... Define good deed...

If they were out with outstanding warrants chances are this was simply a sweep for the department to make money on unpaid fines. It's not like they were using Ozzy's name to get serial killers off the streets...

So you forget about a speeding ticket in Bumfuck's Ville, don't pay the fine, and you drive 30 minutes to pick up some concert tickets on your way to meet this gorgeous chick for a first date you've been trying to get for months.
Oops, you forgot to pay your fine, you're spending the weekend in jail instead.

Now, I don't know what sort of "criminals" they were "sweeping", but neither do you. To out right call them scum bags and say Ozzy was unreasonable for expecting to have his portfolio respected is just plain simple minded.

thegreenninja

Alkey fan since day 1
Feb 15, 2006
Your moms box.
That might be a valid argument if you know that all 500 people that were targeted were dangerous or violent criminals. They're not. If the police can't even be bothered to go to their fucking houses to get them, then there is obviously no threat to the general public. Doing this ploy using a TV or cruise tickets is one thing (still wrong), but to use someones name and image is bullshit.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I'm sure he'd get the point if the Buffalo PD decided to advertise an O&A Traveling Virus Tour stop and just ran warrant checks on anyone who showed up.

If it doesn't happen to you, fuck 'em, right? They're probably just scum bags that don't deserve your consideration.

S

Snotbag

They should've gotten his permission first.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
They should've gotten his permission first.
And then it would've leaked out and the entire sting operation would've been down the drain. It's a ploy used all the time and Bill's right, if Ozzy hadn't made his complaint public none of us would've known about it.

They use this a lot to bring in deadbeat fathers. These guys are very good at disappearing when a cop shows up whether it's at their home, place of business or wherever they may be. Sometimes, the only way to get them before a judge is through trickery. A letter from a nondescript company saying you've been selected to win tickets to a show or you've won a cruise or a TV and you need to come to a place to pick up your prize is going to garner a greater response than a letter from the support collection unit or other official agency saying you're in arrears on your child support and to please contact their office to make payment arrangements.

The funniest part about my ex getting caught (we'd already broken up by then) is that he'd always laughed at the rubes who went to claim a prize and were nabbed for whatever. He swore he was too smart to fall for it. How his ex-wife and I loffed and loffed and loffed when we found out "Mr. I'm Too Smart for the Cops" had actually been outsmarted.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I'm sure he'd get the point if the Buffalo PD decided to advertise an O&A Traveling Virus Tour stop and just ran warrant checks on anyone who showed up.

If it doesn't happen to you, fuck 'em, right? They're probably just scum bags that don't deserve your consideration.
If the Nassau PD chose to run a warrant check on me, they'd come up with nothing, so it doesn't matter whether or not they do. If you have an outstanding warrant, it's going to be found out one way or another - a routine traffic stop for example. It has nothing to do with giving "scum bags" consideration. It has everything to do with obeying the law. There's a reason a warrant was issued...you were supposed to go to court for something and didn't. Bringing scofflaws to a specific place at a specific time for a specific purpose is fine - it gets the job done in half the time that it would take to make a sweep of everyone's homes, their parents' homes, girlfriends, jobs etc. Saves manpower and it saves the taxpayer money since they won't have to pay overtime to the cops who have to find these guys.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
And then it would've leaked out and the entire sting operation would've been down the drain. It's a ploy used all the time and Bill's right, if Ozzy hadn't made his complaint public none of us would've known about it.

They use this a lot to bring in deadbeat fathers. These guys are very good at disappearing when a cop shows up whether it's at their home, place of business or wherever they may be. Sometimes, the only way to get them before a judge is through trickery. A letter from a nondescript company saying you've been selected to win tickets to a show or you've won a cruise or a TV and you need to come to a place to pick up your prize is going to garner a greater response than a letter from the support collection unit or other official agency saying you're in arrears on your child support and to please contact their office to make payment arrangements.

The funniest part about my ex getting caught (we'd already broken up by then) is that he'd always laughed at the rubes who went to claim a prize and were nabbed for whatever. He swore he was too smart to fall for it. How his ex-wife and I loffed and loffed and loffed when we found out "Mr. I'm Too Smart for the Cops" had actually been outsmarted.
That's all well and good, and once again, the issue isn't police using trickery to find people with warrants...

The issue is with the cops using Ozzy's name which he's spent well over 30 years marketing for their own financial reasons. And if you don't think it's purely financial for them, you're fucking stupid. Bottom Line.

They shouldn't be able to advertise Ozzy to catch criminals to come pay their fines any more than I should be able to put brown liquid in a bottle and call it Coca-Cola. Being associated with a local government doesn't allow you to do whatever the fuck you want.

Who's bringing up copyright infringement charges against the Sherrif? Oh wait, he lied to voters to get elected, so he can't be considered a "scum bag", forgot the first rule of US government.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
If the Nassau PD chose to run a warrant check on me, they'd come up with nothing, so it doesn't matter whether or not they do. If you have an outstanding warrant, it's going to be found out one way or another - a routine traffic stop for example. It has nothing to do with giving "scum bags" consideration. It has everything to do with obeying the law. There's a reason a warrant was issued...you were supposed to go to court for something and didn't. Bringing scofflaws to a specific place at a specific time for a specific purpose is fine - it gets the job done in half the time that it would take to make a sweep of everyone's homes, their parents' homes, girlfriends, jobs etc. Saves manpower and it saves the taxpayer money since they won't have to pay overtime to the cops who have to find these guys.
You're right! They really should spend all this creative energy going after these warrants! After all, the war on drugs is working! Drug arrests are up thousands of percent since it's inception!

Of course, violent crimes are up huge too, and arrests are pretty much the exact same as when you could buy a brand new Datsun, but protecting the public doesn't pay the bills and buy new toys now does it?

As long as DAs and Sherrifs are going to run their districts like a business who's out to take money from their constituents, they should have to abide by the same Copyright and Patent laws that the rest of us do.

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
AWWWW, BOO HOO, cry me a river. Yes, I'd be so mad if they used O&A tickets to catch my sorry ass for not paying up. The next time you have to pay for something and whine about it being so expensive, think about your little crying game. Why do you think stores jack up prices? It's to cover money loss due to theft. These are for OUTSTANDING warrents. They are for people who refuse to payup. I've never heard of a story about someone wrongly caught up in these stings? Have you?

Sheriff Paul D. Laney created a fake company, entitled PDL Productions and sent out more than 40 invitations to people who allegedly ignored court summons, child-support payments, or other various fines, inviting them to an exclusive "VIP" party as well as tickets to the show.

I would define some of those assholes as SCUMBAGS, what would be your definition of them?

"Sheriff Laney went out of his way to tarnish my reputation by implying that I somehow attract a criminal element, which is certainly not true"

So what, they used his name. They in no way implied that his fans were the criminal type anymore than them using a fake free TV and implying that all people who buy TV's are criminals or all people who take cruises are people who skip out on paying fines. :hamm:
Please, a lawyer probably got a hold of Ozzy's ear and told him this. This is just so damaging to his name and career. :rolleyes:

S

Snotbag

If Ozzy would've agreed with the tactic, how would it have leaked out?

He has a right for his name not to be used in something like this. If he decided to do a ticket giveaway, people might think twice...felon or not if they heard about this.

They should've gotten his permission.

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
He argued that mentioning Osbourne's name in the invitations was no different to a bar advertising a Super Bowl party by mentioning the teams playing in the game.
Don't you think there's an entirely different connotation? Associating your bar with the super bowl has zero negative connotation to it. None. You're not doing a single iota of damage to their rep. Not the case with being associated with scumbags and deadbeats. Would they do this to older or white collar deadbeats at a fucking Wayne Newton show or Barbara Streisand or whoever those fucks listen to? Go in another direction...what sort of outcry would there be if they used a rap show to reel in black scumbags or similar tactic with another minority?

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
If Ozzy would've agreed with the tactic, how would it have leaked out?

He has a right for his name not to be used in something like this. If he decided to do a ticket giveaway, people might think twice...felon or not if they heard about this.

They should've gotten his permission.
If he didn't say anything about it, how would you have known about it? Do you think anything less of Ozzy knowing about it now? Do you think anything less of his fans?

If you did nothing wrong and owe no fines, why would you be afraid??? This makes no sense whatsoever. I know I don't have anything against me, so why would I be afraid to answer any ad, not that I'd answer to anything I didn't sign up for. I don't go answering scam mail either. Yes, all of a sudden I win concert tickets and a VIP pass...out of nowhere! Gee, how lucky am I. Hey look, they threw in a free yacht too, boy this must be my lucky day. :rolleyes:

S

Snotbag

If he didn't say anything about it, how would you have known about it? Do you think anything less of Ozzy knowing about it now? Do you think anything less of his fans?

If you did nothing wrong and owe no fines, why would you be afraid??? This makes no sense whatsoever. I know I don't have anything against me, so why would I be afraid to answer any ad, not that I'd answer to anything I didn't sign up for. I don't go answering scam mail either. Yes, all of a sudden I win concert tickets and a VIP pass...out of nowhere! Gee, how lucky am I. Hey look, they threw in a free yacht too, boy this must be my lucky day. :rolleyes:
I didn't say I think anything less of Ozzy or his fans because I'm not Ozzy. Obviously, Ozzy had a problem with it and I'm saying that I understand why. Sure, I wouldn't think less of him but I'm not "everyone" Ozzy understands that but obviously you don't. I was also saying that as a fan, you might think twice about an Ozzy giveaway as "real"

Btw, your sarcasm is so scathing I'm not sure that I'll ever recover. You need to relax and understand how people who use celebrities' names. for WHATEVER reason, isn't cool with them and they should give permission.

Hey, next month there's a Bill dildo giveaway and all fags are encouraged to show up and claim their free "toys"

Granted, you're not going after criminals here, but the same priciple applies.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Don't you think there's an entirely different connotation? Associating your bar with the super bowl has zero negative connotation to it. None. You're not doing a single iota of damage to their rep. Not the case with being associated with scumbags and deadbeats. Would they do this to older or white collar deadbeats at a fucking Wayne Newton show or Barbara Streisand or whoever those fucks listen to? Go in another direction...what sort of outcry would there be if they used a rap show to reel in black scumbags or similar tactic with another minority?
Or take it one step further.

Let's say a local rap guy in South LA has really started picking up steam in the local music scene. Nothing really outside of Southern California, but it looks very promising. This guy has fabricated his image of being a gangster, he's actually a college graduate with a PhD in Music Theory and an MBA who has created this image to capitalize on the marketability of his talents in the rougher parts of LA, so his reputation and street cred is not only completely made up, but of dire importance to his sales.

Now the LA PD catches wind of his local celebrity and decides to use it to advertise local VIP parties to catch outstanding warrants. He instantly loses all street cred, his sales drop through the floor, and his fledgling career which he put so much time and effort into is now destroyed because his marketed product was essentially seized and destroyed arbitrarily by a local police department who had no vested interest in his well being or business revenue.

Now Ozzy's probably too big for this to be anything but good exposure, sure, but the potential is there for dangerous legal precedents to be established.

bill333 said:
If you're not even familiar enough with the most basic terminology necessary to intelligently argue the point, I'm guessing we're not going to get anywhere with a an actual debate, so I'll put it in words you'll understand:

1. Police stole

2. Stealing bad

3. Yes, bad guys were arrested

4. The end does not justify the means.

(If all it took for the cops to find a guy with an outstanding speeding ticket was that they had to impound your car for a year, you would not think that was ok... You know, if you're actually interested in trying to understand the concept here)

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
I didn't say I think anything less of Ozzy or his fans because I'm not Ozzy. Obviously, Ozzy had a problem with it and I'm saying that I understand why. Sure, I wouldn't think less of him but I'm not "everyone" Ozzy understands that but obviously you don't. I was also saying that as a fan, you might think twice about an Ozzy giveaway as "real"

Btw, your sarcasm is so scathing I'm not sure that I'll ever recover. You need to relax and understand how people who use celebrities' names. for WHATEVER reason, isn't cool with them and they should give permission.

Hey, next month there's a Bill dildo giveaway and all fags are encouraged to show up and claim their free "toys"

Granted, you're not going after criminals here, but the same priciple applies.
I need to relax? I'm not the one worrying about some rich person who doesn't even know who I am and worrying about whether his name is used in catching people who don't pay up, causing others to pay more because their lame asses didn't pay. Think about the next time ( hoping you don't have to ) should you have to pay a ticket and wonder why you're paying so much.

I'm sure everyone here would act the same if it were Britney or Paris.

...and No, that would imply that I have something to do with dildos, which I don't. They were advertising free concert passes, which is on subject. They weren't advertising giving away free drugs. Get difference?

Done

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
...and No, that would imply that I have something to do with dildos, which I don't. They were advertising free concert passes, which is on subject. They weren't advertising giving away free drugs. Get difference?
They were representing that Ozzy had signed off on his name being used to have his fans arrested.

He didn't.

Get difference?

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Or take it one step further.

Let's say a local rap guy in South LA has really started picking up steam in the local music scene. Nothing really outside of Southern California, but it looks very promising. This guy has fabricated his image of being a gangster, he's actually a college graduate with a PhD in Music Theory and an MBA who has created this image to capitalize on the marketability of his talents in the rougher parts of LA, so his reputation and street cred is not only completely made up, but of dire importance to his sales.

Now the LA PD catches wind of his local celebrity and decides to use it to advertise local VIP parties to catch outstanding warrants. He instantly loses all street cred, his sales drop through the floor, and his fledgling career which he put so much time and effort into is now destroyed because his marketed product was essentially seized and destroyed arbitrarily by a local police department who had no vested interest in his well being or business revenue.

Now Ozzy's probably too big for this to be anything but good exposure, sure, but the potential is there for dangerous legal precedents to be established.

If you're not even familiar enough with the most basic terminology necessary to intelligently argue the point, I'm guessing we're not going to get anywhere with a an actual debate, so I'll put it in words you'll understand:

1. Police stole

2. Stealing bad

3. Yes, bad guys were arrested

4. The end does not justify the means.

(If all it took for the cops to find a guy with an outstanding speeding ticket was that they had to impound your car for a year, you would not think that was ok... You know, if you're actually interested in trying to understand the concept here)
Please don't even try to talk down to me because I had to go over films of police stings ( I studied and took a class to be an officer ) and haven't heard of an innocent or non deserving person yet. Again, you show me an example of a person not deserving of this and I will gladly take their side. Their was no slander of Ozzy's name nor of his fans. People are making this way more than what it is and turning the arguement into something that isn't there.
I can't wait for the people to stick up for Sony because their TV was used to catch "bad people"

You want to stick up for Ozzy and sticking it to the man, be my guest but again, don't complain about paying extra, should you ever have to. Hopefully, you won't have to.

and I'm done with this one.