US Senate votes to ban bath salts, synthetic marijuana

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
The U.S. Senate, in a 96-1 vote, approved a Food and Drug Administration bill last week that includes an amendment supported by Sen. Susan Collins that would ban synthetic chemicals used to make the street drug bath salts.

The measure, which also would outlaw synthetic marijuana, now needs to be reconciled with a similar bill that passed the House.

“The amendment, introduced by Senator [Rob] Portman, was unanimously approved by voice vote Thursday,” Collins spokesman Kevin Kelley said Tuesday.

Portman is a Republican from Ohio.

The FDA measure combines three bills previously introduced by Sens. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn. It outlaws dozens of synthetic drugs, including mephedrone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone, known as MDPV, which can be used to make bath salts. The bill carries a penalty of up to 30 years for those caught selling the deadly synthetic drug.

The lone dissenter in last week’s vote was Sen. Bernie Sanders, an independent from Vermont.

Bath salts emerged on the streets of Bangor in February 2011 and by July — when the drug was banned in Maine — it had grown into a problem that had spread throughout the state.

The drug, which can be snorted, smoked, injected or swallowed, is addictive and causes users to act unpredictably, officials have said. It has caused hallucinations, convulsions, psychotic episodes and thoughts of suicide in users, and has been linked to more than one death in Maine.

Police say a naked man who attacked and was caught eating the face of another naked man on a Miami, Fla., highway on Saturday was high on the drug, according to a CBS News report.

Collins and fellow Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe both are co-sponsors of the Combating Dangerous Synthetic Stimulants Act, the bill proposed by Schumer.

“I am pleased the Senate passed a provision while considering the Food and Drug Administration Bill to take a crucial step in stopping the spread of bath salts,” Snowe said in a statement Tuesday. “The severity of the bath salts crisis cannot be overstated. This use of these mind-altering drugs are resulting in prolonged, violent episodes and greatly stressing the resources of local law-enforcement and medical facilities.

“Let me be clear, the toll it has taken on our state and the health of our citizens is significant, and disturbing reports of violent and self-destructive behavior are deeply concerning and must be addressed at all levels of government,” said the longtime senator for Maine, who is retiring at the end of her current term.

The U.S. House of Representatives in December passed the Synthetic Drug Control Act of 2011, which carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison for those caught dealing in the listed hallucinogenic synthetic drugs.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration took emergency action in September 2011 to federally ban mephedrone, Methylone and MDPV and designated the hallucinogenic stimulants a Schedule 1 drug, the same class as heroin and LSD.

Bath salts already are banned in much of Europe, where they surfaced in the mid-2000s as a club drug.

Collins has said that the bath salts crisis is a “national threat that requires national action.” She has co-sponsored legislation that would require better coordination between federal and local law enforcement agencies targeting the spread of synthetic drugs such as bath salts.

A final version of the combined House and Senate bills is expected to be presented to President Barack Obama in early July.

Link

Oh a search of a paper upstate... with bath salts as the search term...

http://bangordailynews.com/?s=bath+salts&searchsource=tophat

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I thought bath salts were, literally, salts used in the act of bathing? We gonna ban bleach next?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Nice. Outlaw a bunch of harmless plants and people gravitate towards chemicals that make you eat a man's face. War on Drugs FTW.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well I'm sure someone will come up with a new designer drug shortly...

Mephedrone is one of hundreds of designer drugs or legal highs that have been reported in recent years, including artificial chemicals such as synthetic cannabis and semi-synthetic substances such as methylhexaneamine. These drugs are primarily developed to avoid being controlled by laws against illegal drugs, thus giving them the label of designer drugs.[8] According to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, the synthesis of mephedrone was first reported in 1929 by Saem de Burnaga Sanchez in the Bulletin de la Société Chimique de France, under the name "toluyl-alpha-monomethylaminoethylcetone",[1]:17[9] but the compound remained an obscure product of academia until 2003, when it was "re-discovered" and publicised by an underground chemist on The Hive website, working under the pseudonym "Kinetic."[10] Kinetic posted on the site, "I’ve been bored over the last couple of days and had a few fun reagents lying around, so I thought I’d try and make some 1-(4-methylphenyl)-2-methylaminopropanone hydrochloride, or 4-methylmethcathinone." before going on to describe that after taking it they had a "fantastic sense of well-being that I haven’t got from any drug before except my beloved Ecstasy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephedrone

Oh and...

Mephedrone, also known as 4-methylmethcathinone (4-MMC), or 4-methylephedrone, is a synthetic stimulant drug of the amphetamine and cathinone classes. Slang names include meph,[5] drone,[6] and MCAT.[7] It is reportedly manufactured in China and is chemically similar to the cathinone compounds found in the khat plant of eastern Africa. It comes in the form of tablets or a powder, which users can swallow, snort or inject, producing similar effects to MDMA, amphetamines, and cocaine.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I just wish Krokodil would catch on in this country. Weed out (no pun intended) the riff raff.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I just wish Krokodil would catch on in this country. Weed out (no pun intended) the riff raff.
Nice side effects...

"Krokodil"

Desomorphine attracted attention in 2010 in Russia due to an increase in clandestine production, presumably due to its relatively simple synthesis from codeine. The drug is easily made from codeine, iodine and red phosphorus,[8] in a process similar to the manufacture of methamphetamine from pseudoephedrine, but desomorphine made this way is highly impure and contaminated with various toxic and corrosive byproducts. The street name in Russia for home-made desomorphine made in this way is "krokodil" (кр*к*дил, crocodile), reportedly due to the scale-like appearance of skin of its users and the derivation from chlorocodide, and it is used as a cheaper alternative to heroin, as codeine tablets are available without a prescription.[9] Since this mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users[10]. The amount of tissue damage is so high that addicts' life expectancies are said to be as low as two to three years.[11][12][13]

Abuse of home-made desomorphine was first reported in Middle and eastern Siberia in 2002, but has since spread throughout Russia and the neighboring former Soviet republics. In October 2011, indications of "krokodil" use were found in Germany, with some media outlets claiming several dead users.[14]

icculus1284

May 16, 2007
Fort Collins
They'll ban it, then the makers will alter the chemical formula slightly and slap a new name on it and it'll be legal again.

I know this because I watch Drugs Inc.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
They'll ban it, then the makers will alter the chemical formula slightly and slap a new name on it and it'll be legal again.

I know this because I watch Drugs Inc.
Yeah, what they are banning is an old formulation of it.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I thought bath salts were, literally, salts used in the act of bathing? We gonna ban bleach next?
It got the name from the sham way they sold it.

You can't sell powder with the tagline "snort this and it will fuck you up". So you put it out as "bath salts". That way when you are "surprised" with the news that people are misusing your product to get high you can feign surprise and outrage at the reckless misuse.

The same goes for those glass tubes they sell at gas stations with the roses inside. Instant crack pipe with plausible deniability.

Louisiana banned the stuff back around 2010. Mother-in-law works at a mental hospital. They saw a tripling of patients within a month or two of it hitting the streets. Some people have a mild reaction and get stoned out their mind. But when you have a bad reaction... you have a BAD reaction.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
They just don't learn in Washington. Those old fucks have their heads shoved so far up their own assholes that they could lick the back of their own tongues.

Just like with real weed, this will only open up underground markets and will lead to people who aren't doing any harm to anyone but themselves being thrown in jail and having their lives ruined. All that just because some old, out-of-touch bastards can't accept that drugs aren't Satan's spawn.