USA Today Best Sellers

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Blech, the top four of this list makes me physically ill. People have taste for shit.

1. "Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling (Little, Brown)
2. "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James (Vintage)
3. "Fifty Shades Darker" by E.L. James (Vintage)
4. "Fifty Shades Freed" by E.L. James (Vintage)
5. "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen, Kevin Maurer (Dutton)
6. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn (Crown)
7. "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child (Delacorte)
8. "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins (Scholastic Press)
9. "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins (Scholastic Press)
10. "Winter of the World" by Ken Follett (Dutton)
11. "The Time Keeper" by Mitch Albom (Hyperion)
12. "The Hunger Games" bySuzanne Collins (Scholastic Press)
13. "Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel" by Sylvia Day (Berkley)
14. "Straight Talk, No Chaser" by Steve Harvey (Amistad)
15. "Low Pressure" by Sandra Brown (Grand Central Publishing)
16. "I Declare" by Joel Osteen (Faith Words)
17. "The Lady Risks All" by Stephanie Laurens (Avon)
18. "Confessions of a Murder Suspect" by James Patterson, Maxine Paetro (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)
19. "Fifty Shades Trilogy Bundle" by E.L. James (Vintage)
20. "Zoo" by James Patterson, Michael Ledwidge (Little, Brown)
21. "Rapture" by J.R. Ward (NAL)
22. "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett (Signet)
23. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky (MTV)
24. "A Fool's Gold Christmas" by Susan Mallery (HQN)
25. "Run the Risk" by Lori Foster (HQN)

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Supposedly the new J.K. Rowling book is quite the stinkeroo.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Supposedly the new J.K. Rowling book is quite the stinkeroo.
Yeah, that's what I've heard.

#5 is that soldier's book, so all good.

6&7 are thrillers. I enjoy a good thriller, but I've never tried those authors.

8&9 Henger Games books, What are you gonna do?

10 is interesting. It's the sequel of a book called Fall of Giants:
"A thirteen-year-old Welsh boy enters a man's world in the mining pits; an American law student rejected by love finds a surprising new career in Woodrow Wilson's White House; a housekeeper for the aristocratic Fitzherberts takes a fateful step above her station, while Lady Maud Fitzherbert herself crosses deep into forbidden territory when she falls in love with a German spy; and two orphaned Russian brothers embark on radically different paths when their plan to emigrate to America falls afoul of war, conscription, and revolution.
From the dirt and danger of a coal mine to the glittering chandeliers of a palace, from the corridors of power to the bedrooms of the mighty, Fall of Giants takes readers into the inextricably entangled fates of five families-and into a century that we thought we knew, but that now will never seem the same again."

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
My sister read and loved Fall of Giants. It's a trilogy that takes place over the entire 20th century. The only Ken Follett I've read was Pillars of the Earth and while I liked it, it was about 200 pages longer than it should have been. Seeing as FoG and WotW are both 900+ page doorstops, I'm not too keen on jumping in.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Fall of Giants is solid, but I'm not all that eager to finish the trilogy. If you want something similar that isn't so long, check out the Clifton Chronicles.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Eh, bestseller lists have always been garbage IMO. I view it the same way I used to view the MTV top 20 countdown, its mass produced and mass consumed dogshit 90% of the time while there is a ton of great stuff if you look a little deeper.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Eh, bestseller lists have always been garbage IMO.
Yeah, when I'm searching for a book, I never check the bestseller lists. I trust wackbag, audible ratings, and author suggestions. They have always served me well.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
*shivers*

Yeah, when I'm searching for a book, I never check the bestseller lists. I trust wackbag, audible ratings, and author suggestions. They have always served me well.
Nice conversation starter though. I can't believe those shade books are still doing so well. The compilation sitting at 19 may be the most infuriating.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
1. "Heroes of Olympus: The Mark of Athena" by Rick Riordan (Disney-Hyperion)
2. "Reflected in You" by Sylvia Day (Berkley)
3. "Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot" by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard (Henry Hold and Co.)
4. "Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling (Little, Brown)
5. "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James (Vintage)
6. "Mad River" by John Sandford (Putnam Adult)
7. "Fifty Shades Freed" by E.L. James (Vintage)
8. "Fifty Shades Darker" by E.L. James (Vintage)
9. "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen, Kevin Maurer (Dutton)
10. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn (Crown)
11. "Dark Storm" by Christine Feehan (Berkley)
12. "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins (Scholastic Press)
13. "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins (Scholastic Press)
14. "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child (Delacorte)
15. "Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel" by Sylvia Day (Berkley)
16. "Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Smart Miss Know-It-All" by Rachel Renee Russell (Aladdin)
17. "Down to You" by M. Leighton (Self-published via Amazon Digital Services)
18. "The Hunger Games" bySuzanne Collins (Scholastic Press)
19. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky (MTV)
20. "Winter of the World" by Ken Follett (Dutton)
21. "The Time Keeper" by Mitch Albom (Hyperion)
22. "Fifty Shades Trilogy Bundle" by E.L. James (Vintage)
23. "Low Pressure" by Sandra Brown (Grand Central Publishing)
24. "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett (Signet)
25. "Total Recall" by Arnold Schwarzenegger (Simon & Schuster)

Reporting stores include: Amazon.com, Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble.com, Barnes & Noble Inc., Barnes & Noble e-books, BooksAMillion.com, Books-A-Million, Bookland and Books & Co., Costco, Davis-Kidd Booksellers (Nashville, Memphis), Hudson Booksellers, Joseph-Beth Booksellers (Lexington, Ky.; Cincinnati, Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh), Kobo, Inc., Powell's Books (Portland, Ore.), Powells.com, R.J. Julia Booksellers (Madison, Conn.), Schuler Books & Music (Grand Rapids, Okemos, Eastwood, Alpine, Mich.), Sony Reader Store, Target, Tattered Cover Book Store (Denver).
A few new ones in the top ten.

1. "Heroes of Olympus: The Mark of Athena" by Rick Riordan (Disney-Hyperion)

This is fourth book in the second series in the Olympian Demigod series. The first was the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series. This one is called "The Heroes of Olympus" series. Dude does a few series for teens. Good on him. Never read any of these, but if the teens are reading them they can't be all bad.

The new Sandford is on my list. While not as much of a bad ass as Lucas Davenport, Virgil Flowers is the tits. But, sorry Virgil, lots of books in line before you.

Nice to see a general dropping of all things shaded.

I see the latest Sylvia Day is still making the house fraus leave wet spots on the upholstery.

#11, Dark Storm, is apparently just the latest (23rd) book in a vampire-ish series. Read a little about it and it looks like it dips into romance drek too much:

The Carpathian Novels

This series introduces the Carpathians, a powerful and ancient race. They have many gifts, including the ability to shape-shift, and extended life spans, living for thousands of years. Though they feed on human blood, they don't kill their human prey, and for the most part live among humans without detection. Despite their gifts, the Carpathians are on the edge of extinction. There have been few children born to them in the past few centuries, and those that have been born are all male and often die in the first year. It has been more than 500 years since a female has been born. In the absence of their female counterparts, also known as "lifemates," male Carpathians lose the ability to feel emotions and to see in color. The only feeling left to them is the thrill of making a kill. Once a male has done this, he loses his soul and "turns," becoming the monster of human legend, the vampire or the "undead." With so few females left, males are forced to make a stark choice: either become vampire or "greet the dawn" (i.e. commit suicide). However, when they do find a lifemate, the ability to see in color and their emotions are restored to them, and their souls are saved.
Oof.

On the other hand, another of her series looks quite good:

Ghostwalkers Novels

Dr. Peter Whitney, a brilliant and wealthy scientist, creates a technique to enhance the natural abilities of psychics. In a secret experiment, he succeeds in enhancing the abilities of already highly-trained military men, turning them into awesome weapons. These men, Ghostwalkers, are capable of entering an enemy's camp, taking out their target and leaving unseen and unheard.
Poor Arnie only slips in at #25.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
That list just proves two things.

1) Women run the publishing industry these days.

2) Women also have absolutely no taste when it comes to entertainment and art.