Use for my old Kodi Box

Bobobie

I finally retired my old Kodi Box'

This is still a great media box, it was only limited by the lack of support from Kodi and Openelec and Librelec. It was running legacy Openelec and Kodi but it was getting harder to find Apps that would work on it.

What else would this be good for?

Atom 230 4 GB DDR2 500 GB HDD NVIDIA ION LE. 512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB.

Bobobie

Is the NIC gigabit?
Specs sheet says Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet datalink protocol.
There is also an external Esata port and an unused PCI Express x1 slot intended for a WIFI card From what I've heard.

You could turn it into a really great video game emulation box. There a bunch of youtube videos that show how to do it.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
It should. You just need to be able to do VLANs to employ a single-port box as a firewall.
Since I am running pfSense on a full-size desktop PC with a quad-port NIC, I didn't have to do any of that. I do have managed switches, however. I got a handful of these throughout the house.

What's your WiFi solution going to be?

It should. You just need to be able to do VLANs to employ a single-port box as a firewall.
Since I am running pfSense on a full-size desktop PC with a quad-port NIC, I didn't have to do any of that. I do have managed switches, however. I got a handful of these throughout the house.

What's your WiFi solution going to be?
Would it be just easier and cheaper to just find an old sff or usff pc with full size PCI-E slots? Also could the single core Atom have enough Horse Power for Openvpn and the antivirus stuff? There are plenty of cheap QC2 SFF HP and Dells on Ebay.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Would it be just easier and cheaper to just find an old sff or usff pc with full size PCI-E slots? Also could the single core Atom have enough Horse Power for Openvpn and the antivirus stuff? There are plenty of cheap QC2 SFF HP and Dells on Ebay.
If you find a good deal, yeah. And, you make a good point. The Atom could be too weak if you are going to go all out with OpenVPN and such.

I picked up a Lenovo i5-4590 ThinkCentre M73 SFF (looks pretty much like a regular desktop case) for like $80 on eBay. It's still under warranty, in fact. I just threw in an SSD I had lying around, bought an Intel quad-port NIC, and loaded it up. It barely breaks a sweat.

pfstat.jpg

I used to run pfBlocker but an update broke it and I spent two days trying to get it working again and couldn't. So, I threw in the towel and run Pi-hole instead. I don't have OpenVPN running on the pfSense box, using PiVPN for that need. That may change. If I get bored I might try and get pfBlocker working again on the pfSense box along with OpenVPN.

If you find a good deal, yeah. And, you make a good point. The Atom could be too weak if you are going to go all out with OpenVPN and such.

I picked up a Lenovo i5-4590 ThinkCentre M73 SFF (looks pretty much like a regular desktop case) for like $80 on eBay. It's still under warranty, in fact. I just threw in an SSD I had lying around, bought an Intel quad-port NIC, and loaded it up. It barely breaks a sweat.

View attachment 1236

I used to run pfBlocker but an update broke it and I spent two days trying to get it working again and couldn't. So, I threw in the towel and run Pi-hole instead. I don't have OpenVPN running on the pfSense box, using PiVPN for that need. That may change. If I get bored I might try and get pfBlocker working again on the pfSense box along with OpenVPN.
I have no choice on OpenVPN, being locked in a two year deal and that's the only thing they support. I could pick up another c2d SFF off ebay for $20 minus an HD or OS license.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I have no choice on OpenVPN, being locked in a two year deal and that's the only thing they support. I could pick up another c2d SFF off ebay for $20 minus an HD or OS license.
If you buy something, sure you get a CPU which supports AES-NI. For well over a year, pfSense was crowing about AES-NI being an absolute requirement for 2.5. Lots of people/companies went out and bought new hardware. Then, they abruptly changed course and quietly made an announcement that the requirement was dropped.

Lots of people were pissed. They caught a bunch of shit, not nearly enough, IMO. However, AES-NI provides a big performance boost if you are running anything with crypto (VPN for example) and I expect that future versions will require it at some point, probably as early as 2.6. I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy at this point. I expect to get several years out of my pfSense box.

If you buy something, sure you get a CPU which supports AES-NI. For well over a year, pfSense was crowing about AES-NI being an absolute requirement for 2.5. Lots of people/companies went out and bought new hardware. Then, they abruptly changed course and quietly made an announcement that the requirement was dropped.

Lots of people were pissed. They caught a bunch of shit, not nearly enough, IMO. However, AES-NI provides a big performance boost if you are running anything with crypto (VPN for example) and I expect that future versions will require it at some point, probably as early as 2.6. I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy at this point. I expect to get several years out of my pfSense box.
It looks like the Clarkdale Pentium and Celeron are the oldest chips you can use. Sandy and Ivy Bridge are supported. Old Sandy Bridge SFF machines without an HD are about $50 on Ebay.

Edit. There is a Dell 790 I3-2120 on Ebay for $20. $15 for shipping tho.

Last edited:

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
It looks like the Clarkdale Pentium and Celeron are the oldest chips you can use. Sandy and Ivy Bridge are supported. Old Sandy Bridge SFF machines without an HD are about $50 on Ebay.

Keep an eye on craigslist and FB marketplace. You might find a great deal locally, someone who just wants to get rid of an old box for free or dirt cheap.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator

If this is the micro-footprint version, it has two RAM slots, which can run 4GB each. Pop an SSD in there with 8 gigs of ram, you have a nice machine.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Keep an eye on craigslist and FB marketplace. You might find a great deal locally, someone who just wants to get rid of an old box for free or dirt cheap.
$35 for this box is actually dirt cheap. We still have plenty of these machines around my job, and they're workhorses.