Utah Bill aims to ban DUI checkpoints

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Bill aims to ban DUI checkpoints

Brittany Green-Miner, Web Content Producer Fox 13 1:03 p.m. MST, February 13, 2012

SALT LAKE CITY—
A bill that would ban law enforcement agencies from setting up DUI checkpoints has left committee and will now go before the full House of Representatives.
Supporters of the bill, sponsored by David Butterfield, R-Logan, say that DUI checkpoints aren't as productive as other methods of DUI enforcement and violate civil rights.

"We say that citizens have a right against unreasonable searches," said Butterfield. "The Utah Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court have both held that they are constitutional under very narrow guidelines, but that's problematic."
Opponents of the measure say multiple tools are necessary for combating drunk driving.
"(Law enforcement) use them selectively to make sure their communities are safe. So it isn't like we're out there doing these every weekend. They pick and choose and it's really their option," said Art Brown with Mothers Against Drunk Driving Utah.
Supporters of checkpoints say most people pass through them very quickly and strict guidelines ensure law enforcement officers don't violate civil rights.
The bill also deals with other administrative checkpoints such as license and registration, but keeps in place those for fugitives, Amber Alerts and invasive species.
Vid I didn't watch at the link:

http://www.fox13now.com/news/politi...-ban-dui-checkpoints-20120211,0,6559684.story

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
My buddy who lives in West Virginia told me that his town has to put in the local paper where and when the checkpoints are set up.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
When they run them here they are always on the spur road that goes from Route 1 to 95...

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
The bill also deals with other administrative checkpoints such as license and registration, but keeps in place those for fugitives, Amber Alerts and invasive species.
So THAT'S how they keep their communities so.....clean.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
My buddy who lives in West Virginia told me that his town has to put in the local paper where and when the checkpoints are set up.
Same here. I'm pretty sure that's a federal guideline. They also post enough notice for you to take a side street before the checkpoint if you want. You can actually call the police station and ask the time and exact location of the DUI checkpoints, and they have to tell you.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Utah is banning DUI checkpoints? Why did they even have them in the first place? Doesn't seem like a state with a lot of drinking going on, with all the Mormons and Super Christians there.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Utah is banning DUI checkpoints? Why did they even have them in the first place? Doesn't seem like a state with a lot of drinking going on, with all the Mormons and Super Christians there.
You must have missed all the Mexicans and Indians.

Same here. I'm pretty sure that's a federal guideline. They also post enough notice for you to take a side street before the checkpoint if you want. You can actually call the police station and ask the time and exact location of the DUI checkpoints, and they have to tell you.
Try taking that side street sometime and see how far you get.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Do you live in a population 12 town or something?
I've been through enough of these things to know that there are usually cruisers set up on the side streets to pull over anyone who dares avoid the checkpoint. Of course around here they just get DELDOT to put up construction blocks on those side streets. No construction is being done, mind you, but it gives another excuse to pull someone over who strays from the chosen path.