Utah man wins Lamborghini, crashes it hours later

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Utah man wins Lamborghini, crashes it hours later
Associated PressBy PAUL FOY | AP – 1 hr 13 mins ago
Related Content

This hand out photo provded on Wednesday Dec. 21, 2011 by Maverik shows David Dopp, …

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A truck driver who won a Lamborghini worth about $300,000 in a convenience store contest crashed the sports car six hours after he got it, and he now plans to sell the 640-horsepower convertible because he can't afford the insurance or taxes.

"I already had offers on it. I'm going to sell it," David Dopp said Wednesday. "I have bills more important than a Lamborghini. I've got a family to support."

Dopp, a 34-year-old truck driver for Frito-Lay, spun out of control just a few hours after taking the keys to the Murcielago Roadster that he won in a "Joe Schmo to Lambo" contest sponsored by Maverik convenience stores.

The lime green convertible was being held by his insurance company at a Utah towing yard. It will be sent to an authorized Las Vegas dealer for repairs next week.

Dopp told The Associated Press the damage "isn't super bad" — a punctured oil pan and tire, and a few dents and scratches on the front and rear ends. The father of six said he couldn't afford to pay taxes on the car or the insurance, which runs $3,500 every six months.

"That's why rich people own them," he said. "The poor people like me don't."

Dopp was taking family members and friends on joy rides the first evening. He said he took a curve at about 45 mph and "hit some black ice and spun out." The car jumped a curb and went through a fence before coming to a rest about 75 feet off the road. Neither Dopp nor his passenger was injured.

"My heart pretty much fell out," Annette Dopp told KSL-TV of Salt Lake City. "They said they were OK. Then (came), you know, that feeling when your heart drops and you're like, 'Oh, my gosh. What do we do now?'"

The Lamborghini was the envy of Santaquin, a town of 9,000 about 55 miles south of Salt Lake City. Police say the Lamborghini's high-performance summer tires weren't suited for icy conditions and the car is simply too powerful — and exceptionally light with carbon fiber body parts. Dopp wasn't ticketed.

Dopp was videotaped jumping up and down and hollering in speechless disbelief when contest officials announced during a Nov. 12 college football game that he won the car. He had to take out insurance before he could claim the car — "that was a good thing," he says — and took the keys to the roadster Saturday.

Dopp said he never imagined he could keep the car for long because it costs too much to own.

He also won $5,000 worth of driving lessons at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele County.

Dopp said he'll be more careful the next time he gets behind the wheel.

The giveaway contest was for customers who use a rewards card at Maverik's 220 stores. It was co-sponsored by nonprofit organization "teamgive," which raises awareness about rare neurological diseases.

Dopp said Maverik valued the Lamborghini at $358,000, but because it's a 2008 model that had 1,500 miles on the odometer, he believes the value is closer to $300,000 — and he's willing to sell it for less after the body shop fixes it.

Online car appraisal sites don't list market values for a 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster.
http://news.yahoo.com/utah-man-wins-lamborghini-crashes-hours-later-163414452.html

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Nelson.jpg

Also, not surprising. You don't just go from driving some POS Chevy to a Lambo with more than 600 hp. It's a COMPLETELY different animal. I bet he thought he could just take the keys and drive that motherfucker like a pro. You can maybe do that with a Porsche or a Ferrari, but not a Lambo.

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Nelson.jpg

Also, not surprising. You don't just go from driving some POS Chevy to a Lambo with more than 600 hp. It's a COMPLETELY different animal. I bet he thought he could just take the keys and drive that motherfucker like a pro. You can maybe do that with a Porsche or a Ferrari, but not a Lambo.
Did you read this key fact?

"hit some black ice and spun out."
He was driving summer tires in Utah in the winter, on ice. Smart.

He also won $5,000 worth of driving lessons at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele County.
Good advertising.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
You can maybe do that with a Porsche or a Ferrari, but not a Lambo.
not really with either of these. The porsche will bite you will trailing throttle oversteer and the F-car (assuming modern, mid-engined style) will be pretty similar to the Lambo.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Miller ROCKS. love that track.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
not really with either of these. The porsche will bite you will trailing throttle oversteer and the F-car (assuming modern, mid-engined style) will be pretty similar to the Lambo.
But both are less insane than Lambos. (Listen to me talking like I didn't just hear all this shit on Top Gear)

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Okay, my barely informed opinion is that Ferrari's are more forgiving if you screw up. This is is only based on my interactions at the local car show when the millionaires show in their various rides and I play 20 questions with them. What I was told was
Lambo - twitchy, beastly, unforgiving.
Ferrari - Beast, more forgiving
Porsche - Oversteers like a bitch.

Again, not from my own experiences, and the guys I talk to at the show rarely agree. The Ferrari guys hates the Lambo guys and vice-versa. The Porsche guy thinks Ferrari and Lambo are Italian garbage. The Viper guys think that any car that cost over $100K and isn't displacing over 500 cubic inches is an overpriced sewing machine.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
This is just fucking stupid. Who gives away a Lambo? And who is stupid enough to take that Lambo and not just take a cash payout instead? Yes, I'd love to drive one, but I couldn't handle it. This had failure written all over it.

Who's fucking bright idea was it to give away a $300,000 car without giving the man a driving lesson first? Also, driving a car that has to have ZR rated tires in winter in fucking Utah. Dummies gonna dumb.

This Lambo is AWD. So is almost every Ferrari. It's called a supercar for a reason. This is frustratingly stupid.

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
So is almost every Ferrari.

nope. There is only one current ferrari that is awd and it isnt really all time awd and is a front engined GT. Very different than the Murci.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
The last Lambo that was AWD was the Diablo VT. It to this day is still IMO the best Lambo ever conceived, though it could have used more then 485HP. I think they had to keep it dialed back because more HP would have killed the differential.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
But both are less insane than Lambos. (Listen to me talking like I didn't just hear all this shit on Top Gear)
even the top of the line, hard core Porsche (think GT3), has less hp than the Murci, but will bite you harder/faster than the Murci will.

The 430 is a marvel of technology, so much so that with all of the electronics on its a little dull. I know folks that have sold returned their 430 for their old 360 (just a little more raw and more feedback, and I agree with them). Turn all the electronics off and the 430 takes some talent to drive.

The Murci is rather dull really. The awd sucks some life out of it. Its more mental than the Gaylardo (teee-heee), but its still not all that crazy. In general, the Lambos are a little more engaging than the Ferraris, but they arent some uber super car that require extreme skills to drive close to the edge (relatively). Granted, as someone said, you cant just hop out of your El Camino and into any of these cars and expect to drive "fast"... but beyond that... I would think a little harder about getting in a Porsche or a Ferrari with an under experienced driver rather than the Murci.

If someone came in and showed me a fast lap time in a Porsche I'd be more impressed than if they showed me the same lap time from a Lambo. Its takes more doing.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
The last Lambo that was AWD was the Diablo VT. It to this day is still IMO the best Lambo ever conceived, though it could have used more then 485HP. I think they had to keep it dialed back because more HP would have killed the differential.
try backing one up... they are a pain in the ass :D you have to perfect the "sit on the sill with door open" pose.

GREAT looking car though. Totally mental, very raw.

Chino Kapone

Jun 10, 2005
nope. There is only one current ferrari that is awd and it isnt really all time awd and is a front engined GT. Very different than the Murci.
Touche.

Chino Kapone

Jun 10, 2005

The LP550 was the last Lambo in 10 year to have RWD. That was in 2009.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
ZR1 Corvette's that whopped the shit out of the new Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche.

this.

even the Z06 is 99% of any of the rest and costs a ton less. Granted much less sophisticated and plush, but if you are a track day whore its the weapon of choice (if you are going high hp, otherwise get an Elise and learn a thing or twelve about driving)... or of course you could spend $10k on a new 1k cc bike and out perform all of them (and scare the living crap out of yourself x10 more than any car could).

Chino Kapone

Jun 10, 2005
Lettuce beef cereal,,, if we talking track day, the obvious choice is the Ariel atom.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
An Ariel would be a kick... still I'd take a bike over an Ariel any day. WAY more fun.

I've had a Radical out on track, pretty fun... but still not the levels of thrill you get from a bike.

would like to try the Ariel just for kicks though. A friend has one, will have to see about swapping rides for a session or two some day.

The Elise is loads of fun on track (and can be had CHEAP, much less than Radical or Ariel). Momentum, momentum, momentum. Dont lift, brake lightly and let it roll.