Vacation In New York, What Places?

thereturn

Aug 24, 2008
I will be going to New York city in October. What are the sites people have loved, and what bars/restaurants/attractions do some of the locals love?

I am already planning to see most of the museums and art exhibits, but just wondering what exactly people love a few have suggested the Bronx Zoo. The GF wants to see top of the rock and central park of course, and the statue of liberty/empire state building is on the list, the 9/11 memorial is on the list as well but we have heard that reservations need to be made or the line is horrendous.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Reserve tickets ASAP or dont bother. Stay away from Times Square.

Didnt you already start a thread about this?

thereturn

Aug 24, 2008
Reserve tickets ASAP or dont bother. Stay away from Times Square.

Didnt you already start a thread about this?
I dont think so, was I drunk and doing this last week? Maybe I need to check since I really dont know.....

I dont see another thread I started but then maybe I asked in another thread, sometimes drinking has its downside.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I hear the Carter is pretty nice if you're looking for a hotel. Affordable too.

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
I will be going to New York city in October. What are the sites people have loved, and what bars/restaurants/attractions do some of the locals love?
The ones that tourist don't go to
Do you have friends in NYC?

Aug 5, 2004
Christopher Street and don't forget to bring assless chaps.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
If you want to see something interesting and are into history I suggest going to the tenement museum. http://www.tenement.org/ If you go to Little Italy avoid eating at Casabella. Casabella is a mafia owned restaurant, the food isn't that great. You might want to check out the comedy cellar when you are in NY, or Carolines. Besides the regular tourist places you should really have a day where you just walk and explore the city.

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
Feb 11, 2006
Michigan
How long are you there? I'm assuming it's your first time so go to Time square if only for an hour or two and see the lights at night. Even Ronnie B. says so. Get over to Jimmy Fallon's website and reserve some tickets to see his show tape live. I would say Letterman but you need a couple of months in advance. Both will have stand-by tickets. Get up early and wonder over to see the today show tape if the weather is going to be decent. Just like Psycopath says, take a day and wonder around the city. See St. Pats, Apple store, Grand central, FAO Schwartz ...

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
How long are you there? I'm assuming it's your first time so go to Time square if only for an hour or two and see the lights at night. Even Ronnie B. says so. Get over to Jimmy Fallon's website and reserve some tickets to see his show tape live. I would say Letterman but you need a couple of months in advance. Both will have stand-by tickets. Get up early and wonder over to see the today show tape if the weather is going to be decent. Just like Psycopath says, take a day and wonder around the city. See St. Pats, Apple store, Grand central, FAO Schwartz ...
Either you are trying to be sarcastic or you are giving the worst advice ever.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Either you are trying to be sarcastic or you are giving the worst advice ever.
Honestly, for people that have never been to NYC that's not bad advice.
It's what they want to see. Times Square and all the other tourist things like
the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Ground Zero, Empire State Bldg are what they
know from TV and the news. It's what a tourist really wants to see.

Being from Philly I wouldn't want to drive into center city to see the Liberty Bell
or Independence Hall, the Constitution Center or alot of other things that people
really want to see. I grew up with that stuff and it's nothing to me.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Tourists here stand around and stare up at big trees... Central Park would be slightly more interesting to me than that.

thereturn

Aug 24, 2008
Christopher Street and don't forget to bring assless chaps.
Oh great I will pack the pair I own!!!!!

And I have moma on the list and a quick trip to times square even for just a second to see it, touristy crap a little I guess and I actually did see the tenemant museum on a site and it looked interesting. I kind of want to see book of Mormon but tickets are expensive on all the sites. We are blocking off an afternoon for central park, is that long enough? I am also thinking of getting tickets to see rush at the new Brooklyn nets arena, I am assuming the area is safe to get around? She is a huge fan and it will fall on her birthday.

We are only there for maybe 4 days Oct 20-24 and possibly one more night. I want to see a lot but not be overwhelmed if that makes sense.

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
Feb 11, 2006
Michigan
Honestly, for people that have never been to NYC that's not bad advice.
Its what I did on my first trip there. We also had kids with us so it had to be family stuff. But it was a wonderful trip and we did a ton of things in 4 days there. If I ever go again it will be totally different trip. We also went in October. Central Park perfect.

shimrra

Hello Ladies
Aug 14, 2007
Barcelona Bar on 8th Ave (between 54th St & 55th St) they have a huge shot selection but just so you know its pretty small.
Ellen's Stardust Diner on 1650 Broadway (between 50th St & 51st St) they serve basic diner food but the waiters & waitresses have all either worked at or are trying to break into Broadway will break out into a song and dance.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Id pass on the Stardust Diner. That's kind of a tourist trap. A lot of people go there after the theatre. Since it's right next door to Mama Mia. The food is good. But it's very LOUD

Aug 5, 2004
Stay away from Carnegie Diner. Go to the Ben Ash across the street if you must have a stupid sandwich that you will never finish. Better yet, go to the Brooklyn Diner on 57th.. small but the food is really good.

If you are into Thai, go to Topaz Thai on 56th.. it's full of lady boys but it has the best Pad Thai, Drunken Noodles, Thai Iced Tea, Coconut Calamari I've ever had.. thats about a once-a-week occurence for me when I'm in the office.

Finally, hit the burger joint in the Le Parker Meredian Hotel on 56th (http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat4.php). It's a run down looking little burger joint that is hidden behind the check-in desk of the hotel (it's a really swanky hotel and the burger joint is really out of place). Don't go during lunch time during the week. There will be a line a mile deep and no where to sit. Try to go around 11:30a or 2:30p.. shouldn't be a line then. Awesome burgers but the fries are fantastic.. and dip them in the mustard they have in the squirt bottles.. must be crack in that shit.

Aug 5, 2004
check out Ellis Island, The Intrepid (I'm pretty sure the shuttle is on there now), Little Italy sucks - go to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx instead (take a cab and don't go at night - It's an island of guineas in a sea of darkies), Meat Packing District if you take it in the asshole (see my Christoper St. comment earlier), Battery Park has a cool view of the harbor, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty (this is where you can pick up the ferry to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty).

PunchYourself187

I, The Operator
Apr 24, 2004
I had a buddy visit from Wales and we knocked a lot of NY out in just two days. In NY, it's very easy to plan a route with clusters of nearby sites. Look at a map of Manhattan on Googlemaps and plan your route.

China Town and Little Italy are next to one another; a walk through both shouldn't take you very long and China Town is very interesting. Schedule that part of your tour so that you end around lunch or dinnertime. The church that George Washington was sworn into Presidential office is relatively close to this area too (if that's something you're interested in) - I believe a lot of the founding fathers attended this church regularly.

Skip waiting in line at the Statue of Liberty and just take a ferry tour. I believe we picked one up at South Street Seaport. The area is relatively close to the WTC memorial. There's also a law enforcement museum near there (my buddy is a bobby).

We waited in line for about an hour (during the summer) to go to the Empire State Building observation deck and we paid extra to go to the 2nd (higher) observation deck. It's a pretty awesome site at night, if you have the time. The 1st observation deck is crammed with people and it's outdoors. The 2nd one is a longer wait, costs a little bit more, has way fewer people, and it's a panoramic view. It is indoors though, so you will have trouble taking photos.

This should give you an idea of what it looks like at the top: