Valedictorian denied diploma for saying "hell" once in graduation speech

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
PRAGUE, Okla.– There’s a bit of diploma drama going on between a local high school and that school’s valedictorian.

David Nootbaar is furious his daughter’s school is keeping her diploma.

He said, “She has worked so hard to stay at the top of her class and this is not right.”
Kaitlin Nootbaar graduated from Prague High School in May and was named valedictorian.
When tasked with writing the graduation speech, her dad said she got her inspiration from the movie “Eclipse: The Twilight Saga.”

Nootbaar said, “Her quote was, ‘When she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation, people would ask her, what do you want to do and she said ‘How the h*** do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times.’”
He said in the written script she gave to the school she wrote “heck,” but in the moment she said h*** instead.

Nootbaar said the audience laughed, she finished her speech to warm applause and didn’t know there was a problem.

That was until she went to pick up the real certificate this week.

“We went to the office and asked for the diploma and the principal said ‘Your diploma is right here but you’re not getting it. Close the door we have a problem,” Nootbaar said.

He said the principal told Kaitlin she would have to write an apology letter before he would release the diploma.

A move her dad believes is illegal.

“She earned that diploma. She completed all the state curriculum. In four years she has never made a B. She got straight A’s and had a 4.0 the whole way through.”

Kaitlin starts college in a few days on a full scholarship, making the administrators’ decision even more appalling to her family.

We tried to get the school’s side of the story.

Superintendent Dr. Riick Martin gave us this statement, “This matter is confidential and we cannot publicly say anything about it.”

Kaitlin doesn’t plan on writing an apology letter because she doesn’t feel she did anything wrong.
Her family supports that choice.
http://kfor.com/2012/08/18/46913/

All she did was mention a ficticious place.

If we as a society would come to our fucking senses and treat hell like we would treat "hogwarts" or "never never land" or fucking "the shire" we wouldn't have this shit.

Chalk up another victory to the thumpers...

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
That's what it's like being in Oklahoma? That's bizarre, and I live in Florida.
Buncha nootbaars.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
That's what it's like being in Oklahoma?
This is what it's like being in Oklahoma:

When tasked with writing the graduation speech, her dad said she got her inspiration from the movie “Eclipse: The Twilight Saga.”
The fucking valedictorian is a got damn "Twi-hard?" She probably wouldn't even pass the 4th grade ELA's in New York. Oh, and the article buried the lead:

Kaitlin doesn’t plan on writing an apology letter because she doesn’t feel she did anything wrong.
Of course she didn't. Just another spoiled, entitled cunt.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
I was thinking it was a bunch of bullshit until I saw the "looking into the distance seriously" picture..
Very few times it actually works and with very few people.

I hate that pose.

I now am cheering the school.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I've said much worse things when I was still in elementary school. Parents and school administrators have a very unrealistic view of high school kids and correspondingly unrealistic conduct expectations. Kids curse. It's not the end of the world.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
All she did was mention a ficticious place.

If we as a society would come to our fucking senses and treat hell like we would treat "hogwarts" or "never never land" or fucking "the shire" we wouldn't have this shit.

Chalk up another victory to the thumpers...
Did you even read the story? She didn't say anything about Hell the place. She said, "How the hell do I know?" Ironically, if she had mentioned Hell the place, it would've been considered a curse and there wouldn't have been a problem. Your post makes no sense in relation to the story. Idiot. :action-sm

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Sorry, I hadn't realized we should just bend over and take it whenever a school decides on ridiculous bullshit.
Look, they shouldn't be witholding her diploma, which is a meaningless piece of paper, and she shouldn't have deviated from the approved speech. They're both wrong, best to just suck it up, apologize, and move on with your life.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Look, they shouldn't be witholding her diploma, which is a meaningless piece of paper, and she shouldn't have deviated from the approved speech. They're both wrong, best to just suck it up, apologize, and move on with your life.
Bullshit. Never give in to the stupidity of others. I'm glad that she has the integrity to not apologize. She isn't in the wrong because she didn't intentionally deviate from the approved speech (if you can even consider one word a deviation). She flubbed a word. That's it. It happens. It's part of being human. She shouldn't have to apologize for shit.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Bullshit. Never give in to the stupidity of others. I glad that she has the integrity to not apologize. She isn't in the wrong because she didn't intentionally deviate from the approved speech (if you can even consider one word a deviation). She flubbed a word. That's it. It happens. It's part of being human. She shouldn't have to apologize for shit.
Part of being human is admitting when you make a mistake. When you make a mistake, sometimes you have to own up to it and apologize. That's life. She's not pretty enough, and if she's gleaning inspiration from Twilight, not smart enough, to go through life without owning up to her mistakes.

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
Part of being human is admitting when you make a mistake. When you make a mistake, sometimes you have to own up to it and apologize. That's life. She's not pretty enough, and if she's gleaning inspiration from Twilight, not smart enough, to go through life without owning up to her mistakes.
You're making it sound like she changed it from "heck if I know" to "motherfucker stop asking me cunty questions!"

You have to be trolling.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
fuck em its a piece of paper, she already has a full ride to school. i wouldn't apologize either i would tell them to shove it up there fucking ass

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
You're making it sound like she changed it from "heck if I know" to "motherfucker stop asking me cunty questions!"

You have to be trolling.
And you're making it sound like they're barring her from getting into college. They're holding a piece of paper. It's their piece of paper, not hers, so they get to make up the rules. Her running to the press like a spoiled cunt will hurt her college and future employment career a lot more than them holding a piece of paper that means absolutely nothing.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
And you're making it sound like they're barring her from getting into college. They're holding a piece of paper. It's their piece of paper, not hers, so they get to make up the rules. Her running to the press like a spoiled cunt will hurt her college and future employment career a lot more than them holding a piece of paper that means absolutely nothing.

running to the press is almost as good as spitting in there faces and telling them to fuck off, i see it as the school being the childish ones

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
running to the press is almost as good as spitting in there faces and telling them to fuck off, i see it as the school being the childish ones
This. I never gave a shit about school, but I could imagine if I cared enough to get straight As I'd be pretty pissed off if I were denied my diploma over a flub in a speech that doesn't even begin to border on indecent language at a graduation. Fuck that school.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
It's a good time for this bitch to learn adult lesson number one. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to. Write the apology and shut the fuck up.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
It's a good time for this bitch to learn adult lesson number one. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to. Write the apology and shut the fuck up.
or say fuck you to "authority" and become a leader.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004