Van Halen May Sign With Columbia

mr. sin

Several reports are indicating that Van Halen have either signed with Columbia Records or are coming close to sealing a deal with the label. According to the Hollywood Reporter, no deal has been signed just yet, but the Sony-owned company is "in the lead" in the race to release the band's first album with original frontman David Lee Roth since 1984. That record is expected to hit stores sometime next year.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/van-halen-may-sign-with-columbia-20110920

CousinDave

Can DLR even sing anymore?

That Greatest Hits album that was released in the mid late 90's had 2 new tracks and he sounded awful

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
The only way a big label like Columbia would do this is if they get their mitts on their back catalog so they can do a shitty compressed remastering job with no bonus material and put the 2000 WB CDs out of print the same way Sony/Columbia did with AC/DC a few years back.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
So who's the singer this time around? And is Eddie's son still actually in the band?

I predict this doing about as well as Chinese Democracy. Roth is awful and the brothers lost their minds about 15 years ago.

iSpeakEloquent

HENRIK LUUUUUUUUUUUNDQVIST
say what you want about the past, but dlr, just like ozzy and many other singers from the 70s and 80s sound way better now than they did in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. I saw van halen 3 years ago. I was expecting a mediocre show but they were great. DLR sounded fine. All my life i was hearing about how terrible he was live but he was really good. I saw ozzy in 2004 and he blew out his voice on the 2nd song. I saw him twice more in the past 3 years and he sounded better then i can ever remember. James Hetfield sounds better now then he did in 1997-2004. Joey Belladonna sound better now then he did 10 years ago. Whatever singers are doing to keep their voices going is working real well. Vocal coaches i guess but whatever it is it is working. I'm not a huge van halen fan but i will def. give the new album a listen before i judge

The only way a big label like Columbia would do this is if they get their mitts on their back catalog so they can do a shitty compressed remastering job with no bonus material and put the 2000 WB CDs out of print the same way Sony/Columbia did with AC/DC a few years back.
Someone has to put on the 15 differently packaged versions of "Greatest Hits" and "Essential Van Halen"...

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
I predict this doing about as well as Chinese Democracy. Roth is awful and the brothers lost their minds about 15 years ago.
I think it can do better
Its still Eddie & DLR writing
With GnR they lost most of the writers with only AXL left so it was a different record with very little comparison to GNR

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I really liked Chinese Democracy, although I know it didn't sell well. I think that probably had something to do with the fact that it was only available at Best Buy. I don't think many of those 'exclusively available at" CD's ever sell that well. Not sure why the band does it other than a short sighted money grab.

Anyway, I don't have much hope for this album either, but I'll certainly check it out. It will certainly be better than most of the drek that passes for Rock music these days. Holy fuck I've turned in to my parents.

UCJOE

I really liked Chinese Democracy, although I know it didn't sell well. I think that probably had something to do with the fact that it was only available at Best Buy. I don't think many of those 'exclusively available at" CD's ever sell that well. Not sure why the band does it other than a short sighted money grab.
Wasnt the last ACDC an exclusive only? That was a huge seller
I think most people realized it was an AXL ego CD & not a GnR & that was the biggest issue

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I think most people realized it was an AXL ego CD & not a GnR & that was the biggest issue
Apples and Oranges, my friend:

ACDC Black Ice
Sold only on physical CD - No itunes or (legal) digital downloads of any kind
Sold at Walmart - Store count in 2008 was about 3,800
Total album sales - over 2 million in the US
Total legal downloads - zero
Metacritic score - 69

Chinese Democracy
Sold at Best Buy - Store count in 2009: about 1,000
Total album sales - over 1 million in the US
Total legal downloads - couldn't find the stats, but seeing as how itunes alone accounted for 25% of all music sales in 2009, I'd guess the number to be in the several hundred thousand range
Metacritic score - 64

The fact is both albums did about the same, but perception is much stronger than fact. Plus the expectations were of course much higher for an album 14 years in the making vs just another ACDC album. I do agree that people's bitterness with Axl drives the perception problems, but if you listen to it, it's a very good album, particularly "Better", "Street of Dreams", and "Prostitute". I'd wager Axl couldn't have done too much better with Slash and company in tow, judging by the overall mediocre work Slash has put out over the years.

UCJOE

The fact is both albums did about the same, but perception is much stronger than fact. Plus the expectations were of course much higher for an album 14 years in the making vs just another ACDC album. I do agree that people's bitterness with Axl drives the perception problems, but if you listen to it, it's a very good album, particularly "Better", "Street of Dreams", and "Prostitute". I'd wager Axl couldn't have done too much better with Slash and company in tow, judging by the overall mediocre work Slash has put out over the years.
I heard about 6 cuts from CD & hated it & loved GnR - I thought Velvet Revolver had much better songs & I am no fan of Scott Weiland
ACDC was their best CD in 20 years

iSpeakEloquent

HENRIK LUUUUUUUUUUUNDQVIST
exclusively at walmart is a huge difference to exclusively at best buy, people go to wal mart when they need toilet paper, people only go to best buy now when they either need a new tv or blow a speaker out in their car

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Apples and Oranges, my friend:

ACDC Black Ice
Sold only on physical CD - No itunes or (legal) digital downloads of any kind
Sold at Walmart - Store count in 2008 was about 3,800
Total album sales - over 2 million in the US
Total legal downloads - zero
Metacritic score - 69

Chinese Democracy
Sold at Best Buy - Store count in 2009: about 1,000
Total album sales - over 1 million in the US
Total legal downloads - couldn't find the stats, but seeing as how itunes alone accounted for 25% of all music sales in 2009, I'd guess the number to be in the several hundred thousand range
Metacritic score - 64

I thought Chinese Democracy wasn't that bad. The title song, Better, Street Of Dreams, Riad N The Bedouins, IRS, This I Love were all pretty good. Shackler's Revenge I want to like but it sounds like an old Nine Inch Nails song from the mid '90s. Thats actually my biggest problem with C.D. It took so long to produce and record over 15 years that by the time it was released a lot of it sounds dated, the "industrial hard rock' sound from the late '90s, early '00s.
Chinese Democracy would have been better if Axl had done some editing and left off 4 or 5 of the weaker songs.

Velvet Revolver is one of my favorite newer bands. Libertad, their second album, is one of the best hard rock albums I own. I was pissed when Weiland quit/was kicked out. Hopefully Slash and Duff get their new singer auditioned and in there quickly to record the third album.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
I saw Van Halen live in 2007 and was impressed. I really did think that reunion would last two, maybe three crappy shows before they imploded. They not only didn't, but put on one hell of a good show considering their age and disfunctional past. I was really surprised a DVD/CD wasn't released of any of those concerts, I know a bunch were filmed. I'll give the new album a chance, I'm actually looking forward to hearing it.