Movie Venom...Oct 5, 2018

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Venom: Sony Sets Release Date for Spider-Man Spinoff Movie

The Mummy reboot's Alex Kurtzman will direct.
By Alex Gilyadov

Sony has set a release date for its Spider-Man spin-off film, Venom.

TheWrap reports Venom will open in theaters on October 5, 2018. That release date was originally occupied by Warner Bros.' Aquaman solo film before it recently got pushed back to December.

The Mummy director and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 writer Alex Kurtzman will direct, but no word yet on who'll star as Venom.

This version of the Marvel villain will reportedly not exist in the shared MCU as Tom Holland's Spider-Man. Sony first revived the film project last year and according to last year's reports, the film was “being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland.”

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, the producers of the Spider-Man movies for Sony, are also producing Venom, with Dante Harper (Edge of Tomorrow) penning the script.

Meanwhile, the first solo film for the MCU/Sony version of Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming, hits theaters on July 7.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...spinoff-movie?abthid=58cb2210e6d32bcc0e000023

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Sony wants its own Deadpool. It's going to be a lethal enforcer show down!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

By Alex Gilyadov

TheWrap reports Venom will open in theaters on October 5, 2018. That release date was originally occupied by Warner Bros.' Aquaman solo film before it recently got pushed back to December.

The Mummy director and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 writer Alex Kurtzman will direct, but no word yet on who'll star as Venom.

This version of the Marvel villain will reportedly not exist in the shared MCU as Tom Holland's Spider-Man. Sony first revived the film project last year and according to last year's reports, the film was “being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland.”

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, the producers of the Spider-Man movies for Sony, are also producing Venom, with Dante Harper (Edge of Tomorrow) penning the script.

Meanwhile, the first solo film for the MCU/Sony version of Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming, hits theaters on July 7.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...spinoff-movie?abthid=58cb2210e6d32bcc0e000023
This is going to be the equivalent of some 1990s TV movie.

I mean, people who like Venom like him because of his relationship to Spidey. I know he's evolved beyond that, but his character is partially defined by that experience. I mean, without Spider-Man, why would he have a spider on his chest? Does it mean hope on the symbiote homeworld?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This is going to be the equivalent of some 1990s TV movie.

I mean, people who like Venom like him because of his relationship to Spidey. I know he's evolved beyond that, but his character is partially defined by that experience. I mean, without Spider-Man, why would he have a spider on his chest? Does it mean hope on the symbiote homeworld?
Not to mention, this kills Spidey getting the black suit during Infinity War.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes nerds, I know that's not how he got it the first time, but it was going to be the closest we'd get.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Sony wants its own Deadpool. It's going to be a lethal enforcer show down!
This actually might be the best way to do it. Fill the movie with characters Sony owns but can't do anything with. Have Spider-Man be only referenced.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Not to mention, this kills Spidey getting the black suit during Infinity War.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes nerds, I know that's not how he got it the first time, but it was going to be the closest we'd get.
We got two Quicksilvers...

I said that that would be the perfect time. The only problem is, I think a 19 year old Eddie Brock would stink. And an older Brock would be weird.

I guess it's time to rewatch Truth in Journalism.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
We got two Quicksilvers...

I said that that would be the perfect time. The only problem is, I think a 19 year old Eddie Brock would stink. And an older Brock would be weird.
Yeah, you have a good point.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004

By Alex Gilyadov

D.C. REBOOT NOW!

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Lethal PROTECTOR! Don't besmirch one of my favorite comic series as a young boy.

God damn it. SOS is right. Do it Deadpool style as a brutal dark comedy. Not nearly as meta, but in the same tonal vein. A couple of references to a former coworker. And you can get your precious Carnage because it'll be bloody and R.

Also, I appreciate Truth in Journalism a lot more having rewatched Man Bites Dog.

Dec 12, 2007
God damn it. SOS is right. Do it Deadpool style as a brutal dark comedy. Not nearly as meta, but in the same tonal vein. A couple of references to a former coworker. And you can get your precious Carnage because it'll be bloody and R.

Also, I appreciate Truth in Journalism a lot more having rewatched Man Bites Dog.
I really don't see anyway to make Carnage without Venom or an R-rating because, A) the suit gives birth to his suit, B) the man is fucking vile.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I really don't see anyway to make Carnage without Venom or an R-rating because, A) the suit gives birth to his suit, B) the man is fucking vile.
I don't think you need Carnage. I think he's one of them 90s excess characters who only existed for shock value.

Though I did like Maximum Carnage when I was younger. Both the series and the Sega side scroller game.

However, if you're really craving Carnage. And Sony has a bunch of characters Marvel has no use for... I think it could work. You don't need Spider-Man for Carnage.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
I don't think you need Carnage. I think he's one of them 90s excess characters who only existed for shock value.

Though I did like Maximum Carnage when I was younger. Both the series and the Sega side scroller game.

However, if you're really craving Carnage. And Sony has a bunch of characters Marvel has no use for... I think it could work. You don't need Spider-Man for Carnage.
I think it's inevitable that they pass through Carnage on the way to him battling more symbiotes. His 'power' is so wild and unique, that they won't be able to resist having 'bad symbiotes' too, which starts (and ends with, as far as I'm concerned) with Carnage.

Dec 12, 2007

I liked that game and series too.

I wouldn't want Carnage as the first villain, maybe if there's a sequel though. If he's the villain in the first film he might be rushed and done clumsily.

Carnage can be an interesting foil to Venom in that he makes Venom look sane by comparison.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses

I wouldn't want Carnage as the first villain, maybe if there's a sequel though. If he's the villain in the first film he might be rushed and done clumsily.

Carnage can be an interesting foil to Venom in that he makes Venom look sane by comparison.
So who are you picking for a first villain? Who are his other main 'villains'?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

Rushed how? He's a lunatic who kills violently. He's among the simplest of all villains. There's no depth to him. At all. Who would be a better villain than someone whose MO is crush kill destroy?

As for the movie, it can be very close to the comics. We start with Brock as Venom already going on his rehabilitation tour. He's recently paroled and wants to do good, but he's bad at it. (Plus Brock can only get work writing for shit blogs. Maybe writing Venom articles.) The symbiote won't leave him alone so they have to work together. But part of the symbiote hates being "good" so they partner with Cletus. Then Venom has to tap into the man he left behind to defeat him.

You don't have to kill Carnage. Then if you want a sequel, you can team him with Shriek or whoever.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
Well, if you need a villain powerhouse, sure. I mean who among us didn't fear the sting of the Scorpion when reading those old Spider-Man comics?!? Is he still going to be JJ Jameson's contracted employee who somehow became Scorpion by a nefarious science scheme perpetrated by the Bugle publisher? Or are we showcasing a villain that we'll have to retcon the entire backstory of?

This is ridiculous. A C-List Spider-Man villain can't be a real vote.

Dec 12, 2007
Rushed how? He's a lunatic who kills violently. He's among the simplest of all villains. There's no depth to him. At all. Who would be a better villain than someone whose MO is crush kill destroy?
Jesus, calm down silly.

He's a deranged serial killer. They've made movies, books, TV shows, and yes, comics about them. Its safe to say they can do something fun with him.

So who are you picking for a first villain? Who are his other main 'villains'?
Within the scope of Sony's catalog other than the symbiotes and Spiderman? Hmm, its rather limited due to his association with Spiderman and all the good ones being owned by Marvel.

I guess Hobgoblin? I don't know, I'd have to look at my comics to be sure.

The villain could also be whoever he gets the suit from. They might want it back.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
Jesus, calm down silly.

He's a deranged serial killer. They've made movies, books, TV shows, and yes, comics about them. Its safe to say they can do something fun with him.

Within the scope of Sony's catalog other than the symbiotes and Spiderman? Hmm, its rather limited due to his association with Spiderman and all the good ones being owned by Marvel.

So even in that solo series and subsequent stories or whatever, he hasn't established any enemies of his own that aren't Spider-Man related? I'm surprised that they didn't come up with some 'Flaming Loud Sounds Man' as a nemesis to him and his powers that weren't already in the Spider-Man universe so that they could, y'know, show him off as a solo act in case, y'know, they ever wanted to do a movie about him.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Jesus, calm down silly.

The villain could also be whoever he gets the suit from. They might want it back.
I'm not saying they can't do something fun with him. But I don't get the entire "rushed" thing. He's a super violent serial killer. He doesn't really need an extensive origin story. He's there to kill people. That's all he is.

Unless you think the Venom movie should have no villains because Venom is such a multi-faceted character than 2 hours won't be enough time if he has to share the screen with anyone else.

So even in that solo series and subsequent stories or whatever, he hasn't established any enemies of his own that aren't Spider-Man related? I'm surprised that they didn't come up with some 'Flaming Loud Sounds Man' as a nemesis to him and his powers that weren't already in the Spider-Man universe so that they could, y'know, show him off as a solo act in case, y'know, they ever wanted to do a movie about him.
Shriek orgasming?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I don't get how Hobgoblin would be a less rushed villain than Carnage. Carnage has essentially the same backstory as Venom.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
I don't get how Hobgoblin would be a less rushed villain than Carnage. Carnage has essentially the same backstory as Venom.
I always figured that Hobgoblin would never even make it to the screen because of what a mess it would be to explain that he's dressed the same as, but isn't, the Osborn family bad guys that Sony is so goddamn enamored with. On the upside, they can just reuse all the awesome Spider-Man 3 footage with some slight CGI tweaking.

Main villain destroyed by rebar, it's Perfect!

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Well, if you need a villain powerhouse, sure. I mean who among us didn't fear the sting of the Scorpion when reading those old Spider-Man comics?!? Is he still going to be JJ Jameson's contracted employee who somehow became Scorpion by a nefarious science scheme perpetrated by the Bugle publisher? Or are we showcasing a villain that we'll have to retcon the entire backstory of?

This is ridiculous. A C-List Spider-Man villain can't be a real vote.
I fucking forgot the sarcasm tags....fixed.