Movie Venom...Oct 5, 2018

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
PG-13 confirmed.

Piggy not seeing this confirmed.
It was either going to be good with no chance of being part of the MCU or bad and a slight chance of making it in.

There is no way you can pull off Venom accurately without Logan level violence.

This is like when they made The Mask a Jim Carrey film.

LiddyRules

Signed To a Non-Exclusive Consultancy
It was either going to be good with no chance of being part of the MCU or bad and a slight chance of making it in.

There is no way you can pull off Venom accurately without Logan level violence.

This is like when they made The Mask a Jim Carrey film.
I'm going to disagree-ish. I don't know much about The Mask source material, but I loved the heck out of that movie. I think there are some properties that can translate and maybe better translate that way.

Like TMNT. I know the original books were dark and violent, but if they didn't do the kids show, would they be known at all today? And on that token, I wouldn't want to see dark gritty Turtles. Even if it's their origins, it wouldn't feel right. It would seem like they're trying too hard to be edgy.

Venom on the other hand is trying to play it both ways. In addition to being more popular than the other two, they're clearly selling it as a violent movie.

BIV

I'm going to disagree-ish. I don't know much about The Mask source material, but I loved the heck out of that movie. I think there are some properties that can translate and maybe better translate that way.

Like TMNT. I know the original books were dark and violent, but if they didn't do the kids show, would they be known at all today? And on that token, I wouldn't want to see dark gritty Turtles. Even if it's their origins, it wouldn't feel right. It would seem like they're trying too hard to be edgy.

Venom on the other hand is trying to play it both ways. In addition to being more popular than the other two, they're clearly selling it as a violent movie.
I'm a fan of both the original TMNT and Mask comics.

While the TMNT show didn't follow the comics, I agree that the comic version would have never translated and not just because it was darker. It was a lot more cerebral.

As for the Mask, I'm sure it was a great movie is you didn't know the comics, so I can't blame them from a Hollywood point of view. But the mask in comics not only made Lobo look like a piker, it was very psychological as well. It was a lot about how the mask amplified personal demons and made you the worst version of yourself. One of the nastiest versions of The Mask was a little girl.

Back to the point, Part of the reason Venom is so beloved is that it crossed that violent/gory line that we hadn't seen in Spider-Man before. It was Peter if he did a 180. It was quite some time before Eddie learned to reel the symbiote in. Not having the brutally violent introduction ruins the character.

All this being said, apparently an "R" rated version is in the works.

https://www.slashfilm.com/venom-unrated-cut-ruben-fleischer/

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

You can make the argument that without the TMNT cartoon, the 1990 movie probably doesn't get made.

The problem with Venom is that everyone in the world knows that he should be a MCU character that they can use at a later date. Everyone that is except Sony.

LiddyRules

You can make the argument that without the TMNT cartoon, the 1990 movie probably doesn't get made.

The problem with Venom is that everyone in the world knows that he should be a MCU character that they can use at a later date. Everyone that is except Sony.
But I don't necessarily know if he should be an MCU character since I don't think they'd want to get that violent. Plus they'd need to wait years for Holland to get old enough to give us the Brock/Parker relationship. But the solo Sony verse doesn't work either.

And Sony realizes he should be part of the MCU. It was MCU who said "we're good." And Sony was "outside of this, we have Sandler. Wait. Sandler left? Fuck me."

BIV

I think the real message here is that this movie never should've been made and the people at Sony are fucksticks

LiddyRules

I think the real message here is that this movie never should've been made and the people at Sony are fucksticks
Technically, it's "Embrace Your Inner Anti Hero."

That's the tagline for this film. I hate it so. Not really sure why.

The super annoying thing is, I don't think this will be a bad movie. It won't be a good one either. It will be right on the line of passable, so you can't have fun hating it nor can you enjoy it.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
Technically, it's "Embrace Your Inner Anti Hero."

That's the tagline for this film. I hate it so. Not really sure why.

The super annoying thing is, I don't think this will be a bad movie. It won't be a good one either. It will be right on the line of passable, so you can't have fun hating it nor can you enjoy it.
There is also the "The World Has Enough Superheros" tagline.

I have been lukewarm to this movie from the beginning and nothing I have seen from it since then has made me interested in seeing it.

Especially when I heard the "turd in the wind" line".

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
I just saw a recently released scene. The cgi looks God awful..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Feeling nostalgic for May of 2017...

All of a sudden, I'm VERY interested in this film.
So Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock and Ruben Fleischer directing? Suddenly I'm all in.
Poor Tom Hardy....
Social media review embargo has lifted, and speaking of nostalgia, I have great news! If you have ever longed for a return to the early 2000’s greatness of Hulk, Daredevil, and yes - Catwoman(!) this movie is going to knock your socks off!

I have to be fair - I’m also seeing a lot of comparisons to a more modern Marvel movie...

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator

Social media review embargo has lifted, and speaking of nostalgia, I have great news! If you have ever longed for a return to the early 2000’s greatness of Hulk, Daredevil, and yes - Catwoman(!) this movie is going to knock your socks off!

I have to be fair - I’m also seeing a lot of comparisons to a more modern Marvel movie...

Oh boy.... Now I kinda want to see it for all the wrong reasons.

LiddyRules

Nick?

Pigdango

Donator
Piggy just got me to tap out.....I might join in on a HitW down the road.
Remember these are people who just got out of the star studded world premiere event. The type of people who raved about BvS, TLJ, and even Justice League. And they are savaging it.

LiddyRules

This has moved to a must see for me. Going Thursday night.
I still can't muster anything for this. All I know is that Hardy is really good, really bad, or simultaneously both. And that's all anyone is saying about anything.

Also, Thursdays has become good HitW nights.

Pigdango

Donator
I still can't muster anything for this. All I know is that Hardy is really good, really bad, or simultaneously both. And that's all anyone is saying about anything.

Also, Thursdays has become good HitW nights.
All the tweets I’m seeing about this movie erasing the last 15 years of comic book movies have me utterly fascinated, and I’m pretty sure I predicted this exact thing.

I’m now booked this Thursday, unless you want to coordinate a live event. I’m going at 8:30pm EST.

LiddyRules

All the tweets I’m seeing about this movie erasing the last 15 years of comic book movies have me utterly fascinated, and I’m pretty sure I predicted this exact thing.

I’m now booked this Thursday, unless you want to coordinate a live event. I’m going at 8:30pm EST.
I'm not posting during a movie. What do you take me for? A GOON?!?!.

Pigdango

Donator
On the bright side, this might kill Leto Morbius.
I think this is projected to make a lot of money, at least for October. Last I saw it was heading for $65 million plus.

LiddyRules

I think this is projected to make a lot of money, at least for October. Last I saw it was heading for $65 million plus.
It will have a strong opening weekend. But will it hold? Does Sony care? Do we want Leto going full Depp?