Verizon Ringtone - Jimmy's New York Groove - HELP!

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
I did the perfuntory searching before starting this thread, so please forgive me, I'm so aggrivated I could scream (in fact, I already have and swore a few times too).

Here's the deal - I have Verizon (with appropriate plan) and just upgraded to a Samsung u740 phone. I have the sd micro card for the phone as well. I know that Verizon are nazis when it comes to wanting you to pay for everything, and if this particular ringtone was available, I'd pay.

I put the file (Jimmy's horrid singing of New York Groove, hence the title of the thread) on the SD card in hopes of using it for my ringtone. I've saved it as an MP3, a mid, a midi....you get the idea...and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to read as a ringtone. I've tried a couple of the sites (mobile17, for example) to have the song send to my phone as a message so I could try that way. Nada, nunca, nothing.

So, I ask my wackbag friends, my fellow twisted minds, if any of you have successfully gotten this clip to work on a Verizon phone. If you have, or have a workable solution, please post or PM me.

I wish you oral treats for your efforts.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
go to howardforums.com and check there. i can pretty much tell you that you will need the following:

USB cable to connect your phone to your PC

BITPIM - a program that you use to view and manipulate your cell phone's file system

QPST - another program...very similar to BITPIM but a wee bit more advanced

unfortunately you cannot pop a soundclip onto your microSD card and use it as a ringtone. verizon makes you pay for everything.

RobeSoup&Tears

Get 'em while they're hot
Aug 16, 2005
Riverdale, New York

go to howardforums.com and check there. i can pretty much tell you that you will need the following:

USB cable to connect your phone to your PC

BITPIM - a program that you use to view and manipulate your cell phone's file system

QPST - another program...very similar to BITPIM but a wee bit more advanced

unfortunately you cannot pop a soundclip onto your microSD card and use it as a ringtone. verizon makes you pay for everything.
Both these guys are right.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
I'm fairly technically literate but this is a wee bit over my head.....what part does BitPim do (manage the physical phone aspect?) and what does the QPST software do? Does this software alter the software on the phone? How do I acquire the USB cable (ie, do I have to buy this from Samsung/Verizon?)?

I do enjoy learning geek stuff, but I also readily admit that this isn't an ongoing thing I'll be doing.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
That's a bunch of shit to jump through. I have Verizon and a 2 year old Motorola E815 and all I have to do is get an MP3 onto my phone and I can apply as ring tone. www.tonethis.com has always worked for me. Before that it was www.3gupload.com (now www.3guppies.com )

The mp3 is sent as a text message attachment and I just save it to the phone then can apply as a ringtone.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a shot. I've used audacity to shorten/condense the mp3 into a wav so I can try both versions and see if either work....

All suggestions still appreciated

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Maybe the key is getting the mp3 from the SD card to the internal memory of the phone.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
bitpim supports your phone. Just go to bitpim.org and download your version. The usb cable can be bought through Verizon for most phones in the Verizon software box thingy for about 40 bucks. I think that the file needs to be in wma format to be heard on the Verizon phones, I know that their software installs into Windows Media Player.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
OK, well, I have a lovely 20 second version of the ringtone available in a .wav format (edited down) - I even tried going into the verizon website and uploaded it into the pix/video section and sending it to myself and all I got was a txt message saying that I had a pic waiting for me...go to the website...went to the website...couldn't save/dl it, did the option to send it to myself (thinking it might magically show up as an attachment or something) and that shit the bed, too. I don't really want to get into the editing the phone software thing unless I absolutely have to.

If any one of you would like it, PM with your cell/email/whatever and I will send it to you....maybe you could send it back to me on my cell and it would work.

Fuck Verizon in their fuckholes...the only reason I keep them is because their cellphone talking coverage is good and that is, really, what I mostly use the phone for anyway. :icon_evil

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I found a service some time ago that I have since forgotten the name of (Myxter? Something like that) that you uploaded an MP3 to, cut the section you want, and for free (no catches or fees) they sent you the file as a text message attachment, formatted for your specific phone. I used it on my Samsung, and it worked perfectly...

EDIT: found it
http://www.myxertones.com/

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Don't use Verizon's website. Also, don't use a .wav file, it has to be an MP3.

Have you tried using sending it to yourself as an attachment through Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail or whatever your default email program is?

Send it to:
212-555-1212@vzwpix.com (obviously insert your phone number in front of the @vzwpix.com

When you get the email, open it, hit OPTIONS, and then SAVE AS RINGTONE. If it doesn't work, reply back here or PM me the file and the MP3 may need to be encoded to a specific format.

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.phonezoo.com and use their free service.

Also, if you have internet enabled go to http://www.nav4all.com on your phone since I think it's GPS enabled and you can use their free GPS Navigation software without paying $10 a month for Verizon's.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
Don't use Verizon's website. Also, don't use a .wav file, it has to be an MP3.

Have you tried using sending it to yourself as an attachment through Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail or whatever your default email program is?

Send it to:
212-555-1212@vzwpix.com (obviously insert your phone number in front of the @vzwpix.com

When you get the email, open it, hit OPTIONS, and then SAVE AS RINGTONE. If it doesn't work, reply back here or PM me the file and the MP3 may need to be encoded to a specific format.
I've tried to do that, and I either don't get the text message and/or I get an email saying that it has bounced. I also accessed my VZW account via the phone, was able to see the files, but could not save/download them via options (the option was not there).
If that doesn't work, go to http://www.phonezoo.com and use their free service.
Will try phonezoo as well (why the hell not)?

Also, if you have internet enabled go to http://www.nav4all.com on your phone since I think it's GPS enabled and you can use their free GPS Navigation software without paying $10 a month for Verizon's.
Thanks for the suggestion - fortunately don't need it since I have a GPS in the car.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I've tried to do that, and I either don't get the text message and/or I get an email saying that it has bounced. I also accessed my VZW account via the phone, was able to see the files, but could not save/download them via options (the option was not there).

That's sounds bad. I would call Verizon and see what's up with that. What email account are you using? Sometimes providers block the free ones like Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. by default to cut down on spamming.

Will try phonezoo as well (why the hell not)?
Try the others that people have mentioned as

Thanks for the suggestion - fortunately don't need it since I have a GPS in the car.
Well, aren't we the fancy, fancy gurl. :action-sm

I've got one in my car too (just a portable) but I use it every once in a while when toodling around in someone else's car.

Edit:
Went over to Howard's Forums and it appears you may be SOL using MP3's as ringtones without bitpim.org

BUT, this might work with your phone since it's software is somewhat similar to the 950. BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS AND DON'T TRY AND TWEAK ANYTHING YOU'RE NOT FAMILIAR WITH.
If in doubt, find a guy to help you out. :action-sm

The Samsung-Verizon Codes/Hidden Menus!

Hidden Menu Enable/Disable code (without requiring the Samsung PST Lite software)

On the main screen of your Samsung a950 enter the following code:
1475369126874#*

This will allow you to enable/disable the hidden menu, on the go, without requiring any computer. This is kind of a master code so MOST of the following codes may/may not work if you do not have the Hidden Menu option set to "Enable".

Access the Hidden Menu to Enable MP3 Menu Item, as well as a GetItNow Test, and Brew Information

To access the "GetItNow Hidden Menu(s)", please have the Hidden Menu option set to "Enabled" above then:

Access your "GetItNow" main menu. In this menu press the "0" key and enter your Lock Code (most commonly your last 4 digits of your phone number, unless you changed it within the Security Menu)

There should be 3 menu options (please note that this is for the Samsung a950, as the a930 and a990 seem to have the menu moved elsewhere)
"1. PEK Test" This just brings you to a minimal version of GetItNow, a test version.
"2.Brew Info" Brew Information about your phone...and since BREW 2.0 has not been hacked yet, the information here is somewhat useless.
"3. MP3 Menu Item" Here you can "Enable" the MP3 Menu on your a950. Select Enable from the menu, and the OK button...your phone should be reset...The following new options are created:

* Under "Get Tunes and Tones" in GetItNow, the "My MP3s" option is added, but you should not be able to access it until you have added songs to a microsd/transflash card, which will be explained.
* Under "Tools" in "Settings & Tools", the "MP3 Player" option is added, which is basically a shortcut from the "GetItNow" menu.
* Under "Tools-->Shortcut Key" in "Settings & Tools", the "Play Key" option is added, which allows you to select "My MP3s" or "My Music", and enables MP3 usage from the external screen.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
Well, aren't we the fancy, fancy gurl. :action-sm

I've got one in my car too (just a portable) but I use it every once in a while when toodling around in someone else's car.

Came with the gimpmobile - didn't specifically choose it, but it was with the other things I did want (cloth seats, not leather) and the more powerful engine. Also came with a sunroof, which I also didn't necessarily ask for. Now, I just love both and couldn't imagine a vehicle without them.

But yes, I am a bit of a fancy gurl :action-sm - love to talk wine and cheese pairings :action-sm

I did have lovely wackbag gentleman (I think) PM me, so hopefully he will be able to help. Believe it or not, the option you mentioned above with cracking the hidden menu makes more sense to me than the BitPim and QPST info. I'd actually give it a shot IF the phone models matched.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
thanks for the gentleman compliment and thanks for the ringtone.

i may have to set that one as my ringtone instead of jimmy's RINGY DINGY DINGY! RINGY DINGY DINGY!!! ringtone

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
***Just an update****

I finally got it to work today! The key is to have a non-verizon customer send you the file - it treats it as a video file, but then will allow you to save it as a ringtone!

WHEEEEE!!!!