HitW Viewing Thread 1/30/18 - Bright!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Might be too early for me to make it home in time, will jump in if I'm able.
Yeah the Tuesday ones are going to be earlier for the people that always complain that we start too late. They will also be non-Liddy approved movies, so this one may not even work. I'm very curious about the massive divide between critics and audiences. Critics rated it 26%, Audiences 86%. So this could turn out to just be a really good movie that a few of us watch.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Yeah the Tuesday ones are going to be earlier for the people that always complain that we start too late. They will also be non-Liddy approved movies, so this one may not even work. I'm very curious about the massive divide between critics and audiences. Critics rated it 26%, Audiences 86%. So this could turn out to just be a really good movie that a few of us watch.
I'm usually with the audiences, but I lean critics in the case of Bright. It'll be interesting to see how it works as a HitW though.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
I'm usually with the audiences, but I lean critics in the case of Bright. It'll be interesting to see how it works as a HitW though.
I'd be interested in learning /what/ people like about this movie. Is it that they allow racism albeit towards monsters?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I watched like half of this thing. I think it will make a good HitW but I can't join.

I could probably pinpoint the critic/audience divide if I put in some time thinking about it but like @Absolutely I'm pressed for time at the moment.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I'd be interested in learning /what/ people like about this movie. Is it that they allow racism albeit towards monsters?
Here are a few reviews from here:

I watched it today and really liked it. There's some chuckleheads out there saying its the worst movie of the year. Go fuck yourselves.

Although I can't see how it cost $90 million, even with Will Smiff taking a big chunk of it up front. But he's good, Edgerton is superb, Noomi looks bad-ass and the chick who plays Leeloo Dallas Multipass is very cute.
#LeastTrusted
It wasn't terrible I guess. It's a pretty mindless flick. I kind of wish they got into the back story on how there are elves and orcs fairys and such all over the place.

Orcs are most certainly ******s though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I watched it tonight I really liked it, but then again i like will Smith, and I like mindless action films, I thought it was shot well, the cgi was on par for a film at this budget point, the actual story was less racially motivated than I thought it was going to be, I was expecting a “crash” type in your face racism is bad vibe, but I didn’t take that away as much as a “caste” type thing, definitely had the alien nation vibe.
As a mindless “time killing suspend all belief” will Smith buddy cop flick, I give it two thumbs up, and, I wouldn’t count out a sequel.
As for Netflix being the new “straight to VHS” I somewhat agree, but, remember that most people don’t go to the theater anymore, I sure as hell am not going to go see a buddy cop flick, hell I passed on blade runner, and I’m a huge blade runner fan, and my wife had to beg me to go see star wars
Well, I watched this damned thing...and enjoyed it. That doesn't mean my head doesn't still hurt.

The gas station shootout was too long, but otherwise pretty damned tight. The editing was great, and that could be why this hasn't tanked. You doen't get a chance to wonder whether you ought to be watching it.
I'll agree - it wasn't amazing, but it was far better than the reviews would lead you to believe. It doesn't spoon feed you everyfuckingthing, and you have to put a few pieces together - which I liked. I'll give the sequel a watch when it comes out.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I'm definitely going to watch it at some point, but I'll be interested to see if it makes for a good HITW.

Bobobie

I heard the Orcs are the Golfers in this alternate universe and Elves are sort of like SuperJews and live in their own affluent neighborhoods. Humans are the middle-class.