HitW Viewing Thread 1/30/18 - Bright!

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
See the reason I blame Ayer more than Landis is - Victor Frankenstein had a similarly shitty script, also by Landis. But that movie worked better than it should have because the director decided to play into the silliness and up the chemistry between McAvoy and Radcliffe.

Ayer obliterated the goofiness and made it so that Smith and Edgerton? Clarke? Whoever played the Orc had zero chemistry. Was there even a scene where they bonded as friends?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Good HitW?

Did anyone like it? Even a little?

Did you figure out the critic/audience divide?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
@Pigdango found it clever and relevant.
High marks for it’s a subtle social commentary and great world building. Also, Noomi Rapace was excellent. She’s really talented and I’m glad to see she got two huge roles this year to show off her range. (The other being Alien Covenant.) I was also blown away by the Dragon scene. Netflix really suits David Ayer. He was able to have fun with the material, and Will Smith was at the top of his game.

Good HitW?

Did anyone like it? Even a little?

Did you figure out the critic/audience divide?
It was a great choice for HitW, but I didn’t realize the state of the Union was the same night when I wrote the schedule for this month, so only 3.5 if us did it. If we don’t get a better turnout for King Arthur on the 13th we may stop the Tuesday night Experiment.

We didn’t figure out the critic/audience divide, but @Queen_Bona did show her tits, so the evening wasn’t a complete loss.

LiddyRules

High marks for it’s a subtle social commentary and great world building. Also, Noomi Rapace was excellent. She’s really talented and I’m glad to see she got two huge roles this year to show off her range. (The other being Alien Covenant.) I was also blown away by the Dragon scene. Netflix really suits David Ayer. He was able to have fun with the material, and Will Smith was at the top of his game.

It was a great choice for HitW, but I didn’t realize the state of the Union was the same night when I wrote the schedule for this month, so only 3.5 if us did it. If we don’t get a better turnout for King Arthur on the 13th we may stop the Tuesday night Experiment.

We didn’t figure out the critic/audience divide, but @Queen_Bona did show her tits, so the evening wasn’t a complete loss.
I can understand disliking Last Jedi. Outside of being disingenuous or Neckbeard-ish, I can't understand liking Bright more.

And I think chosing SOTU over HitW is ridiculous.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I was a little worried coming into it that the HitW might not be a success, but I was glad to be mistaken. It performed well, despite there only being 3.5 of us here as Piggy said.

As for the critic/audience divide, I really can't explain it other than surmising that audiences really enjoy buddy cop movies and overlong, meaningless shootouts. After the movie I actually went on RT and read some of the audience reviews, and it's completely baffling. It's like I watched a different movie.

Seriously, you ditch a HitW for the SOTU? The fuck is wrong with you?

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Here are some of my favorite audience reviews:
It's Lord of the Rings meets Training Day and surprisingly this genre mash-up actually works! The action just kicks ass! And while the social commentary is very on the nose, some of it makes for fun plot twists. Don't expect it to be Men In Black with fantasy creatures. This feels grittier and more relevant. This is one of Will Smith's better movies in a long time.
I don't know what to say here.
This movie was very entertaining. It had humor, heart and a pretty good plot. The action scenes were very good and the characters were well developed and had depth. Then I saw what the critics said about it and had to wonder what is going on.

I think critics were against this movie since the big movie houses are how these people make their living. A movie like this is a threat to the standard movie industry has operated for decades. I think "the Last Jedi" is a flip side where Disney has a stranglehold on critics due to their monopoly on blockbuster films at this point. I have learned that critics are not to be trusted at this point.
The characters were well developed and had depth?!
This movie was the best movie I've seen in the past year since King Arthur. I feel like i should start picking the movies i see based on how the critics rate them. If they rate low, you know it wipp be an awesome unique movie style.

I plan on watching this again.
Okay, fuck this guy.
Long overdue "magical" drama with an "Alien Nation" vibe. I disagree more with critics here on RT more than I think I ever have...ever. Great acting, good story line, just left me with a big ? at the end wishing there were at least another hour of story to go. Loved it!! Can't wait for the second installment (Netflix, don't you DARE leave us hanging)!!
This dude wanted another hour. I don't understand masochists.
This film has three best parts:
First is the compliance of the crazy shirtless guy when Will Smith orders him to put down the sword, and then retrieves it with a look of meta-disbelief. Second is the story of the dark lord who ruled the world 2000 years before, which parallel to our world would be the time of Jesus. Third is how easily the cops were corrupted when they saw the wand, which was only a foreshadow for everyone else who heard about the wand.
*Meta-disbelief face*
This movie is strangely beautiful and deep if you allow yourself to really listen and watch.
Bright was a refreshing experience. I tend to be harshly critical on movies because they all seem to be lame these days. Sequels, prequels, remakes, etc. are ruining the industry and suddenly this gem humbly arrives and shocks me. It was so original and so moving. It is an effective allegory of the potential beauty of diversity and the inevitable ugliness of prejudice. It felt a little dragged out for about 5 minutes at about 3/4 of the way through but then it immediately picked up the pace and ended with an extremely satisfying finale. I honestly only watched this movie because of the huge difference between the audience score and the critic score. It was very intriguing and I wanted to see if some of my theories regarding movie critics were true. This movie supports my theory that critics are favoring the big, producers (Disney) and attacking Netflix because it threatens the industry. Bright gets 26% and The Last Jedi gets 91%. This is absurd. It should be the complete opposite, no exaggeration.
Humbly arrives.

And these type of reviews just go on and on.

LiddyRules

Here are some of my favorite audience reviews:

I don't know what to say here.

The characters were well developed and had depth?!

Okay, fuck this guy.

This dude wanted another hour. I don't understand masochists.

*Meta-disbelief face*

Humbly arrives.

And these type of reviews just go on and on.
I don't get it. If this movie had something. Even good chemistry between Ward and Jakoby, I could kind of give it a pass. But it had zero.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
I was a little worried coming into it that the HitW might not be a success, but I was glad to be mistaken. It performed well, despite there only being 3.5 of us here as Piggy said.

As for the critic/audience divide, I really can't explain it other than surmising that audiences really enjoy buddy cop movies and overlong, meaningless shootouts. After the movie I actually went on RT and read some of the audience reviews, and it's completely baffling. It's like I watched a different movie.

Seriously, you ditch a HitW for the SOTU? The fuck is wrong with you?
The RT critic score for R.I.P.D. was 13% while the audience one was 38%. While that divide isn't as significant as the one for Bright, you maybe onto something about people just enjoying buddy cop movies.

But if you look at the reviews you posted, there seems to be a running theme of people taking shots at the critics and the movie industry in general. So I think they see Bright as being the confirmation for some preconceived notions they already had.

Except for the guy who said it was the best movie he had seen last year since King Arthur. That guy is just retarded.

LiddyRules

The RT critic score for R.I.P.D. was 13% while the audience one was 38%. While that divide isn't as significant as the one for Bright, you maybe onto something about people just enjoying buddy cop movies.

But if you look at the reviews you posted, there seems to be a running theme of people taking shots at the critics and the movie industry in general. So I think they see Bright as being the confirmation for some preconceived notions they already had.

Except for the guy who said it was the best movie he had seen last year since King Arthur. That guy is just retarded.
I wonder if part of it is that there aren't that many 'adult' movies, let alone adult action movies not staring Liam Neeson. (Most adult-skewing movies seem to be dramas no one likes, like that Kate Winslet/Idris Elba mountain movie.) Not that Bright is "mature," but most action movies are for children/teenagers/Millennials - Star Wars, superhero movies. Even something like the R-rated Baby Driver is somewhat younger skewing. Or they're part of some multi-cinematic universe. Or their too snarky and ironic. Or they're too dang loud. Despite its fantasy setting, which is used poorly, Bright is far more your dad's cop movie than anything we've gotten in awhile. And maybe its simplicity appeals to people.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
This nails it. I also noticed a lot of anger over the RT score for Last Jedi in comparison with this. It's almost like they were exaggerating their positive feelings for Bright in some sort of attempt at pushback against the critics.
This really fuckin' nails it.
Despite its fantasy setting, which is used poorly, Bright is far more your dad's cop movie than anything we've gotten in awhile. And maybe its simplicity appeals to people.
Liddy's dad is a weirdo. Noted.

LiddyRules

This nails it. I also noticed a lot of anger over the RT score for Last Jedi in comparison with this. It's almost like they were exaggerating their positive feelings for Bright in some sort of attempt at pushback against the critics.
I also think there's a huge hatred for Star Wars/Marvel/Disney. I don't know what it is or his genuine it is (e.g. is it people hating Disney for the sake of hating Disney, is it people trolling, is it people like Neckbeard upset that there were too many women on the Resistance ship, or is it a genuine dislike for the individual movies?)

This really fuckin' nails it.
He only saw two movies that year: King Arthur and Bright.

Liddy's dad is a weirdo. Noted.
True, but I have no clue what he thinks about Bright. I assume his opinion would be something along the lines of "Oh right, that cop movie with the guy, I fell asleep during it, it was fine."

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I also think there's a huge hatred for Star Wars/Marvel/Disney. I don't know what it is or his genuine it is (e.g. is it people hating Disney for the sake of hating Disney, is it people trolling, is it people like Neckbeard upset that there were too many women on the Resistance ship, or is it a genuine dislike for the individual movies?)
Undoubtedly there's some of the irrational Neckbeard dislike towards it, but, honestly, the reviews I read were pretty apolitical. It seemed to me that a lot of people genuinely disliked--in the case of Bright the reviewers were focused exclusively on Last Jedi--the latest SW installment, and they felt that RT critics were being bought by Disney. Like I said above, inflating the Bright numbers is like a weird, ultimately pointless, pushback against the critic industry.

True, but I have no clue what he thinks about Bright. I assume his opinion would be something along the lines of "Oh right, that cop movie with the guy, I fell asleep during it, it was fine."
That kind of commentary is good enough for me. Does this fella like to watch bad movies?!

LiddyRules

Undoubtedly there's some of the irrational Neckbeard dislike towards it, but, honestly, the reviews I read were pretty apolitical. It seemed to me that a lot of people genuinely disliked--in the case of Bright the reviewers were focused exclusively on Last Jedi--the latest SW installment, and they felt that RT critics were being bought by Disney. Like I said above, inflating the Bright numbers is like a weird, ultimately pointless, pushback against the critic industry.

That kind of commentary is good enough for me. Does this fella like to watch bad movies?!
But why is Bright getting all the love? I'd sooner understand fawning over Justice League than Bright.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
But why is Bright getting all the love? I'd sooner understand fawning over Justice League than Bright.
That's tough to say. If I had to make a guess, I'd go with the timing of the movie releases. Bright just happened to be in the right place at the right time, or people genuinely enjoy buddy cop movies for some reason. Who are those people?

LiddyRules

That's tough to say. If I had to make a guess, I'd go with the timing of the movie releases. Bright just happened to be in the right place at the right time, or people genuinely enjoy buddy cop movies for some reason. Who are those people?
I know I made the joke about "I fell asleep during it, it was fine." But I also wonder if part of the enjoyment of the movie is that. Because you could nod off for a half hour and be as caught up as if you watched the entire thing.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
I wonder if part of it is that there aren't that many 'adult' movies, let alone adult action movies not staring Liam Neeson. (Most adult-skewing movies seem to be dramas no one likes, like that Kate Winslet/Idris Elba mountain movie.) Not that Bright is "mature," but most action movies are for children/teenagers/Millennials - Star Wars, superhero movies. Even something like the R-rated Baby Driver is somewhat younger skewing. Or they're part of some multi-cinematic universe. Or their too snarky and ironic. Or they're too dang loud. Despite its fantasy setting, which is used poorly, Bright is far more your dad's cop movie than anything we've gotten in awhile. And maybe its simplicity appeals to people.
That's a good point. Just look at the first few lines of one of the reviews:

"Bright was a refreshing experience. I tend to be harshly critical on movies because they all seem to be lame these days. Sequels, prequels, remakes, etc. are ruining the industry and suddenly this gem humbly arrives and shocks me".

Apparently this guy doesn't realize that remakes and sequels are old as the industry itself.

I also think there's a huge hatred for Star Wars/Marvel/Disney. I don't know what it is or how genuine it is (e.g. is it people hating Disney for the sake of hating Disney, is it people trolling, is it people like Neckbeard upset that there were too many women on the Resistance ship, or is it a genuine dislike for the individual movies?)

He only saw two movies that year: King Arthur and Bright.

I think the hatred for Star Wars/Marvel/Disney is somewhat real. There are some people who think the Marvel movies are generic, cookie cutter, and are getting a free pass from the critics.

The hatred for Star Wars is a combination of political beliefs, not being what some people are used to, and trolling.

Queen_Bona

They made me realize Leeloo had the wand hidden in her skin.
:(

Queen_Bona

Anyone else not able to watch this guy anymore? It's just gotten too tedious for me.
I haven't watched anything by him since he did "It follows". But I saw this in my youtube suggestions and just watched it to compare whatever he says to what was said in this thread.