HitW Viewing Thread 3/24/18 - Mother's Day!

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Should have gone with a Creasy pick.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Biggest winner has to be redhead, right? Tina's right there with her though.

JenAn is clearly the loser.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
Biggest winner has to be redhead, right? Tina's right there with her though.

JenAn is clearly the loser.
This is what dating Jen An will be like.

"I wanted to know if you'd like to go out tonight."
"Speaking of going out. Tina, my ex-husband's child bride, took my sons out to the park today even though she knows that's my place to take them. But I guess that's okay. After all, she's still young enough to go on the swings."
"I just thought it would be fun."
"Fun? Fun like that top Tina, my ex-husband's child bride, wore on Wednesday. You don't need to wear something that cute to the grocery story sweetie. Stop showing off."
"I don't think this is working out."
"Fine. Go. Go and find a child bride for yourself. I don't need you. Selfish asshole."

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
This is what dating Jen An will be like.

"I wanted to know if you'd like to go out tonight."
"Speaking of going out. Tina, my ex-husband's child bride, took my sons out to the park today even though she knows that's my place to take them. But I guess that's okay. After all, she's still young enough to go on the swings."
"I just thought it would be fun."
"Fun? Fun like that top Tina, my ex-husband's child bride, wore on Wednesday. You don't need to wear something that cute to the grocery story sweetie. Stop showing off."
"I don't think this is working out."
"Fine. Go. Go and find a child bride for yourself. I don't need you. Selfish asshole."
*Storms off and starts screaming incoherently in her car*

LiddyRules

Does anyone think it's weird that
A) For a movie about Mother's Day, the only character with an actual story was a dude? (Sudeikis is the only character whose story could have sustained a movie. Not a good one, but a movie.)
B) For a movie set in Atlanta, Georgia, (a) there was only one black person who was a side side character and (b) no one sounded Southern.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Does anyone think it's weird that
A) For a movie about Mother's Day, the only character with an actual story was a dude? (Sudeikis is the only character whose story could have sustained a movie. Not a good one, but a movie.)
B) For a movie set in Atlanta, Georgia, (a) there was only one black person who was a side side character and (b) no one sounded Southern.
A) The Sudeikis storyline was an odd choice for a film like this. It's supposed to be a dumb movie for dumb mothers to consume like the dumb cows they are. But his storyline, which they try to gloss over a bit, is really depressing. Hell, even JenAn's storyline seems like it would depress mothers approaching middle age. Also, her character was completely unlikable and deserved to be replaced by a younger, hotter model.
B) (a) I chalk the lack of blacks up to the characters living in a lily white neighborhood, but it was weird. (b) It's like you didn't even listen to Ma and Pa stereotype!

LiddyRules

A) The Sudeikis storyline was an odd choice for a film like this. It's supposed to be a dumb movie for dumb mothers to consume like the dumb cows they are. But his storyline, which they try to gloss over a bit, is really depressing. Hell, even JenAn's storyline seems like it would depress mothers approaching middle age. Also, her character was completely unlikable and deserved to be replaced by a younger, hotter model.
B) (a) I chalk the lack of blacks up to the characters living in a lily white neighborhood, but it was weird. (b) It's like you didn't even listen to Ma and Pa stereotype!
Remember Ma and Pa were from Texas, not Georgia.

I kind of get the purpose of Sudeikis storyline. Mother's Day for a family who lost their mother. It kind of fit. It was horribly handled but I could see why that point of view might have been used in a movie like this if done better. Or maybe the mother didn't need to be dead. Maybe she could be overseas. Because like you said, it was unnecessarily a downer. But in another way, like I said, it felt like it was the only story that could stand alone as its own movie. (But if it did, then we'd almost certainly get the karaoke ending I predicted.)

Kate Hudson's storyline was probably the least Mother's Days-y to me. I constantly forgot she actually had a child because she never seemed to spend any time with it or with her Safe For Work Husband.

JenAn's storyline was kind of mothery, because she actually spent time with her kids, but it seemed more like a storyline about her vs. her ex-husband and his wife, who was strangely decent and compassionate. If it was more about her love for her kids than using her kids as a pawn against her ex-husband, more like a Daddy's Home thing where it's her and Tina trying to gain the kids' affection and at the end they learn to connect, it would have fit the theme more.

Robertson. Robinson? Britt R. felt shoehorned in, and it was clear they didn't know how to write for young people. Roberts also felt shoehorned in.

Maybe a movie like this should be from the PoV of the kids.

We never did see the Mother's Day parade did we?

Queen_Bona

Hell, even JenAn's storyline seems like it would depress mothers approaching middle age. Also, her character was completely unlikable and deserved to be replaced by a younger, hotter model.
I think her kids were much younger in an earlier version of the script and when she was cast as the mommy and the movie people decided that she can't be the mother of two very young kids, they didn't really take out all the utterly childish shit these boys do, like not knowing where the inhaler is, making potato man and calling dad's girlfriend "mom" (seriously, who does that). And using bouncy castles.

LiddyRules

Just so someone did the research, I think the Redhead Mom is Lucy Walsh

Daughter of The Eagles' Joe Walsh.

LiddyRules

I think her kids were much younger in an earlier version of the script and when she was cast as the mommy and the movie people decided that she can't be the mother of two very young kids, they didn't really take out all the utterly childish shit these boys do, like not knowing where the inhaler is, making potato man and calling dad's girlfriend "mom" (seriously, who does that). And using bouncy castles.
Au contraire. Bouncy Castles are for adults now.

https://www.fun-bounce.co.uk/category/adult-bouncy-castles?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Because we've just given up as a society.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Remember Ma and Pa were from Texas, not Georgia.
Oh, I thought you meant just Southern accents in general (I tend to include Texas into that mix), not Georgia specific.
I kind of get the purpose of Sudeikis storyline. Mother's Day for a family who lost their mother. It kind of fit. It was horribly handled but I could see why that point of view might have been used in a movie like this if done better. Or maybe the mother didn't need to be dead. Maybe she could be overseas. Because like you said, it was unnecessarily a downer. But in another way, like I said, it felt like it was the only story that could stand alone as its own movie. (But if it did, then we'd almost certainly get the karaoke ending I predicted.)
Overseas mom works so much better imho. You get the sadness of her being absent without the crushing reality that her daughters are never going to see their mother who was killed by a horrific IED. Plus, with the absentee sadness, you get the obvious uplifting scene where she shows up and surprises her family on Mother's Day. Women would eat that up, I think.

Kate Hudson's storyline was probably the least Mother's Days-y to me. I constantly forgot she actually had a child because she never seemed to spend any time with it or with her Safe For Work Husband.
Really it was just a peek into Kate Hudson's actual mothering practices...allegedly.
JenAn's storyline was kind of mothery, because she actually spent time with her kids, but it seemed more like a storyline about her vs. her ex-husband and his wife, who was strangely decent and compassionate. If it was more about her love for her kids than using her kids as a pawn against her ex-husband, more like a Daddy's Home thing where it's her and Tina trying to gain the kids' affection and at the end they learn to connect, it would have fit the theme more.
Yeah, JenAn's story was trying to show some weird rivalry that just didn't exist because Tina was simply a better person all around than she was. Showing her insecurities coupled with how hard she tried to be a good mom to the kids would've worked, especially if they had a scene where the kids vocalized how much they appreciate her and how she can never be replaced.

Robertson. Robinson? Britt R. felt shoehorned in, and it was clear they didn't know how to write for young people. Roberts also felt shoehorned in.
I had no idea what Britt and the Brit were supposed to be doing in this movie, and the only thing I can say about Roberts is the wig they had her wear was incredibly distracting.

Maybe a movie like this should be from the PoV of the kids.
Just 2 hours of the kids masturbating to Tina in her bathing suit. Pass.
We never did see the Mother's Day parade did we?
In an act of mercy, no.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Every mother in the movie was a monster.