HitW Viewing Thread 5/21/19 - Solo, A Star Wars Story!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
That was actually much worse than I remember. I must have given it a pass since it came out so soon after The Last Jedi. See, this is why breaks can also be bad for Star Wars.

If this movie looked gorgeous then maybe the ridiculousness would have been easier to handle, but it seriously looks like garbage. I actually prefer the prequels' antiseptic CGI look to this muddy mess.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
I still say Thandie Newton should have survived over Harrelson.

Pigdango

Donator
Ending with the classic Star Wars theme is -- off.
It was off because they didn't open with it. Either do both or do neither. I'm a fan of both. Hopefully they bring it back for The Mandalorian. Star Wars is Star Wars.

LiddyRules

That was actually much worse than I remember. I must have given it a pass since it came out so soon after The Last Jedi. See, this is why breaks can also be bad for Star Wars.
That was a much better HitW than I think either of us expected.

Pickle

Watching Rich Evans chant ATSTs for 2 hours and 10 minutes would be more enjoyable

There was literally NOTHING good about this movie. It could be the most bland and meaningless film I've ever seen.

LiddyRules

Well maybe it's too late for a second, but @Pigdango didn't you consider trying that half hour Kung Fury short? Aka Fassbender's last stand?

I watched the first 30 and then Piggy got me to stop and wait. It's so so so soooo bad for those first 30, though.
Did you feel any emotion from it? Hate? Annoyed? Something? Because that would be an improvement over Solo. I'm still in shock at how bland the film I just saw was.

LiddyRules

Did you feel any emotion from it? Hate? Annoyed? Something? Because that would be an improvement over Solo. I'm still in shock at how bland the film I just saw was.
I found myself enjoying Pacific Rim 2. There, I'll say it.

Pigdango

Donator
I legit enjoy his performance, Han Solo or not.
Let me put this out there - If you had Ant Man's van and some Pym Particles, would you go back and create an alternate reality where Ehrenreich portrays Han Solo in an Episode 7 that takes place shortly after Return of the Jedi?

I would, and here's how I would have done it - I would have still made The Force Awakens the first Disney film, but I would have called it...Episode X. Then I would have gone back and done Episode 7-9 as prequels to tell the backstory of The First Order and all that jazz.

LiddyRules

I remember it being boring but fairly unoffensive. Upon the rewatch, it was boring and fairly offensive.

Pigdango

Donator
I remember it being boring but fairly unoffensive. Upon the rewatch, it was boring and fairly offensive.
There was a section a little over an hour in where I thought people were going to start punching out.

LiddyRules

Let me put this out there - If you had Ant Man's van and some Pym Particles, would you go back and create an alternate reality where Ehrenreich portrays Han Solo in an Episode 7 that takes place shortly after Return of the Jedi?

I would, and here's how I would have done it - I would have still made The Force Awakens the first Disney film, but I would have called it...Episode X.
I know you have a thing with making the sequels directly after RotJ. I still say that wouldn't have worked. People still feel connected to the original actors and trying to make a 5 years later sequel 30 years later wouldn't have worked at all. It would have felt like a Backdraft 2 cash grab.

So Kung Fury - yes or no?

I found myself enjoying Pacific Rim 2. There, I'll say it.
Maybe if I watch it until the end I'll "get it." As it is it felt like it was playing off of a totally different type of anime, where a young girl can build a mech from spare parts.