HitW Viewing Thread 5/21/19 - Solo, A Star Wars Story!

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
There was a section a little over an hour in where I thought people were going to start punching out.
When they go to Lando for the first time and you realize the plot hadn't started yet...

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I know you have a thing with making the sequels directly after RotJ. I still say that wouldn't have worked. People still feel connected to the original actors and trying to make a 5 years later sequel 30 years later wouldn't have worked at all. It would have felt like a Backdraft 2 cash grab.

So Kung Fury - yes or no?
I don't know if you saw my edits. I think there was a compromise there that they should have thought of. Make The Force Awakens with Ford, Fisher and Hamill, but call it Episode Ten. That way JJ could have all his mystery boxes, and they could then make Episodes 7-9 as prequels to the JJ trilogy with a new cast that explored the creation of the First Order, Snoke's backstory, all that shit. A release order of 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 7, 8, 9 would be...very Star Warsy.

LiddyRules

Maybe if I watch it until the end I'll "get it." As it is it felt like it was playing off of a totally different type of anime, where a young girl can build a mech from spare parts.
There's nothing to "get." It's flat out stupid and silly.

I don't know if you saw my edits. I think there was a compromise there that they should have thought of. Make The Force Awakens with Ford, Fisher and Hamill, but call it Episode Ten. That way JJ could have all his mystery boxes, and they could then have Episodes 7-9 as prequels to the JJ trilogy with a new cast that explored the creation of the First Order, Snoke's backstory, all that shit.
My fantasy idea that a studio would never do because studio is to set Episode 7 like 100+ years in the future with third generation Skywalkers and Solos, and then do a True Detective thing where concurrently you are also seeing events that happened when Luke, Leia, and Han were older (so maybe 60-70 years before the present day in Episode 7), and have both timelines play simultaneously.

Pigdango

Donator
Maybe if I watch it until the end I'll "get it." As it is it felt like it was playing off of a totally different type of anime, where a young girl can build a mech from spare parts.
After watching Solo, which I also gave a pass to, I'm ready to believe PR2 is hot garbage.

LiddyRules

After watching Solo, which I also gave a pass to, I'm ready to believe PR2 is hot garbage.
Okay. Moment of Truth.

Better movie - TLJ or Solo? I'm giving the edge to TLJ.

Pigdango

Donator
My fantasy idea that a studio would never do because studio is to set Episode 7 like 100+ years in the future with third generation Skywalkers and Solos, and then do a True Detective thing where concurrently you are also seeing events that happened when Luke, Leia, and Han were older (so maybe 60-70 years before the present day in Episode 7), and have both timelines play simultaneously.
That could have worked too. What they ended up doing was the worst thing possible, because of the mixed message. Out of necessity, the message of Episode 7 and 8 was "we have to leave the legacy characters behind" but then the two "story" films were "LOOK AT THE LEGACY CHARACTERS! STAR WARS IS NOTHING WITHOUT THEM!"

Pigdango

Donator
Okay. Moment of Truth.

Better movie - TLJ or Solo? I'm giving the edge to TLJ.
I agree. I've consistently said that the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff was very compelling. There was nothing at all compelling about this movie. Just perplexing. Like everything they tried to explain just led to so many more questions.

LiddyRules

I agree. I've consistently said that the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff was very compelling. There was nothing at all compelling about this movie. Just perplexing. Like everything they tried to explain just led to so many more questions.
I have it above Rogue One still.

LiddyRules

HOW DID THEY FUCK UP STAR WARS???
Because they had no idea what to do with it. They got cocky kid (TM Woody Harrelson). They coasted so much on original trilogy nostalgia believing that that could carry the day without realizing or caring how limiting that would be. Considering the huge success of Rogue One, it's kind of surprising that they had the self awareness after Solo to stop rather than see this movie's disappointing take as a fluke.

But to be fair, it's probably really hard to figure out what to do with the property. People are still so emotionally invested in this franchise - more than any other most likely - that they painted themselves trapped in a really tiny box with what they can do. You want to avoid comparisons with the prequels, but you want some sort of emotional link general audiences can get behind. You want to get new fans without pissing off old ones. You want to make something hugely marketable, appeal to China, and still retain some sense of the magic of the originals.