Violinist: Fall Fractures $1M Fiddle

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
Violinist: Fall fractures $1M fiddle
By THOMAS WAGNER, Associated Press Writer Thu Feb 14, 1:21 PM ET

LONDON - Can his fractured fiddle — a million dollar Guadagnini — be fixed? It's too early to tell.

David Garrett, a former model who has been called the David Beckham of the classical scene, said he tripped while carrying his 18th century violin as he was leaving London's Barbican Hall after a performance, smashing it to bits.
"I had it over my shoulder in its case and I fell down a concrete flight of stairs backward," Garrett said Thursday. "When I opened the case, much of my G.B. Guadagnini had been crushed."
Garrett said he bought the 1772 violin for $1 million in 2003, and he is now hoping to get it repaired in New York, where he is based.
"I hope and pray that it can be fixed, but if it can't, I hope my insurance policy will let me buy another great violin," the 26-year-old musician said. He told The Associated Press that other published accounts saying the violin was a Stradivarius were incorrect. Guadagnini is believed by some to have been a student of Antonio Stradivari.
The accident occurred Dec. 27 but only came to light this week when he returned to London for another concert at the Barbican and told British reporters what had happened.
For his Valentine's Day concert there, he is playing a Stradivarius that's been loaned to him.
Garrett gained attention as a child prodigy. Before he was 10, he played as a soloist with the London Philharmonic, according to his Web site. When he studied at the Juilliard School in New York, he became a parttime model to help supplement his income.

LINK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080214/ap_en_mu/odd_fractured_fiddle
___

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
He smashes his own and someone lends him another one?
I would make somebody hand it to him while he's sitting down
and take it away as soon as he's done playing.
Fucking klutz.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
He smashes his own and someone lends him another one?
I would make somebody hand it to him while he's sitting down
and take it away as soon as he's done playing.
Fucking klutz.
and the one he is loaned is a Strativarius. If I'm not mistaken, the cheapest Strativarius, if sold, would fetch at LEAST 10 mil

EDIT: Looked it up, cheapest would actually run about 3 mil

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Oh Inspector Clouseau, will you ever win?

If you've seen one Stradivarius, you've seen them all.

LilJimmiesMule

Fuck you, and Fuck your family...
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Minnesota Pest
i do feel bad. As a musician with a few prized and expensive instruments of my own, I would be devistated if that happened. It's not about the money, it's about that instrument being irreplaceable and about being one of a kind, handmade, and unique. I sound like a queer saying all that, but damn that does suck.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Not to be an Albert Acurate.. isn't there a difference between a fiddle and a Violin?

LilJimmiesMule

Fuck you, and Fuck your family...
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Minnesota Pest
not really, its the style of playing. its like twang and rock. both are played on a guitar technically...

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Yes, the fiddle player is a chew spittin' redneck hick, the violin player is a concert trained musician. I suppose they can both play a tune depending upon what you like.

Eagle.007

Frrrrrrunkis!
Jan 8, 2007
NEPA
I was going to buy a violin in a genius attempt to spend time with a girl who teaches it. After the price jumped from $85 to $120 I decided it was too expensive. Who the fuck spends $1 million on an instrument?

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
I call shenanigans. There is no FUCKING way you have an instrument like that in a soft case. The insurance contract no doubt specifies how it will be transported and no insurance company exists that would say, "Oh sure, stuff it into this plush LL Bean Violin Carryall dude, that's fine."

I smell BULLSHIT!

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I was going to buy a violin in a genius attempt to spend time with a girl who teaches it. After the price jumped from $85 to $120 I decided it was too expensive. Who the fuck spends $1 million on an instrument?
some one who makes 10mill a year playing it.........

not to put my self in the same vein as a concert violinist, but, a good example is paint guns, i can buy a 49$ harbor freight spray gun and spray paint with it, i prefer my 300$ one since it works better and produces more acceptable results consistently

and the first thing i though was carbon fiber....... not to be a nelly nerd. but its well known that carbon fiber has incredible resonance, the deal with the expensive old violins is there sound, supposedly the old ones sound different than the new ones, being almost deef i cant tell the difference

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
I call shenanigans. There is no FUCKING way you have an instrument like that in a soft case. The insurance contract no doubt specifies how it will be transported and no insurance company exists that would say, "Oh sure, stuff it into this plush LL Bean Violin Carryall dude, that's fine."

I smell BULLSHIT!

x2,

As someone in the insurance bidness, I think the contract would be very specific as to how the instrument was stored, transported, etc. Lloyds of London usually writes this kind of stuff (including celebrity body parts).

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
The guy never said he collected on it, just that he hoped he could..

I agree the policy would be specific as to care and handling, but how much gray area is there between leaving the stage and getting the thing into its transport case?
Maybe the guy put it into an intermediate case to get it off stage and just had an accident before he could get it to a larger hard case.