Virginia Beach police seize photos from Abercrombie store

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
http://hamptonroads.com/node/452689

Virginia Beach police seize photos from Abercrombie store

VIRGINIA BEACH

Police, saying they were responding to citizen complaints, carted away two large promotional photographs from the Abercrombie & Fitch store in Lynnhaven Mall on Saturday and cited the manager on obscenity charges.

Adam Bernstein, a police spokesman, said the seizure and the issuance of the summons came only after store management had not heeded warnings to remove the images.

The citation was issued under City Code Section 22.31, Bernstein said, which makes it a crime to display "obscene materials in a business that is open to juveniles." He did not say what was being done with the pictures and when the manager, whose name was not released, is scheduled to appear in court.

The manager, reached by telephone, declined to comment on the incident Saturday, saying that he was conferring with and waiting for guidance from Abercrombie corporate officials.

The mural-like black-and-white photographs were taken from the store at midafternoon.

Bernstein confirmed that one depicts three shirtless young men from the back, walking through a field. The man in the lead appears to be about to pull up his jeans, which have slipped down enough to reveal his upper buttocks.
The same image is displayed on the Abercrombie Web site.

The other image is of a woman who is topless and whose "breast is displayed with her hand covering just the nipple portion," Bernstein said. "You could still pretty much see the rest of the breast."

The seizure was "prompted by several customer complaints, and the management of Abercrombie & Fitch was notified of those complaints," Bernstein said.

The company's corporate offices in New Albany, Ohio, were closed Saturday and no officials could be reached for comment.

Bernstein said the summons for a Class One misdemeanor was issued to the manager because there is no legal way to issue a summons to a corporate entity in such circumstances. The manager was not arrested but faces a fine of up to $2,000 and as much as a year in jail, if convicted.

Bernstein said that in a meeting last week with store management, the officer - who is assigned to routine patrol of the mall - said he understood it was a corporate decision as to what would be displayed in the stores. But he explained that that didn't exempt the local store from complying with the city code.

Bernstein said management was told specifically: "We want those advertising signs taken down."

When the officer returned to the store Saturday, Bernstein said, he found that the pictures were still in place.

Abercrombie & Fitch has earned a reputation for its risqué catalogues and promotional photography featuring scantily clothed models.

In 2003, the company halted publication of its 7-year-old A&F Quarterly catalog because of complaints about sexually suggestive photographs by award-winning photographer Bruce Weber.

I love how the story shows this ad but not the one with the chick's breast. :icon_roll

Jun 15, 2006
Long Island
Can anyone say PEST attack see how many A&F's we can get cited??

niklbag

Hooked on chronic worked for me!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
Jersey
kris is a little, um how should i put this....Old to be playing pest games. now if you said lets make pies and watch oprah she would be all over it.:action-sm

just kidding <3 teh kris

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
kris is a little, um how should i put this....Old to be playing pest games. now if you said lets make pies and watch oprah she would be all over it.:action-sm

just kidding <3 teh kris
I like games as much as the next person, but this just doesn't seem worthy of a Pest Attack.

BTW Nikl - I don't watch Oprah, that's Judge Judy time in New York. I'm not very domestic, but if you like bluebury pie and have a white carpet, this is what I can do

;)

EDIT: In case you didn't know the VAB city attorney is dropping the case against A&F
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/beach-plans-drop-charges-against-abercrombie-store

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Good, fuck that faggot store. I can't stand walking past A&F in the mall. The big semi nude man poster at the entrance and if you've ever noticed they have blinds on the windows - so you cant see the guys blowing each other inside as you're passing by.

Plus, any company that is run by a man who looks like this deserves to be shut down:

This fucking guy is the epitome of shitdick. He's 61 years old.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Charges are dropped. I guess it's good for some reasons, but bad beause A&F, their employees and shoppers, and uncomfortable advertisements really suck.

City officials said Monday that they plan to drop obscenity charges filed against an Abercrombie & Fitch store manager at Lynnhaven Mall, where police confiscated two large posters of partially dressed models over the weekend.

The Abercrombie & Fitch promotional photographs appear in the fashion retailer’s stores throughout the country, including at MacArthur Center in Norfolk. One photo depicts the backs of three shirtless men, including one holding jeans that hover well below his waistline and reveal the top of his buttocks. The other, as described by a Virginia Beach police spokesman, shows a topless woman with her hand covering a portion of her breast.

A police officer cited the store manager, Brendon Payne, Saturday with violating the city code and issued him a summons to appear March 3 in General District Court.

The city attorney plans to recommend dropping the charges at that time. Deputy Police Chief Jim Cervera said the Abercrombie & Fitch posters would be returned to the store immediately.

Deputy City Attorney Mark Stiles said city officials decided Monday that the photos depicted nudity but did not fully violate the city code, which outlaws “obscene materials in a business that is open to juveniles.”

The city would have a difficult time proving in court that the posters appealed to prurient interests, were patently offensive to the prevailing standards of the adult community and had no serious artistic value, Stiles said.

Of the photo of the three men, Stiles said, “You might see that typical vision walking down the streets.”

Still, Stiles said, the officer had probable cause to issue a summons. The standards are higher when the case goes to court, he said.

“This was a tough case,” he said. “Abercrombie & Fitch’s advertising is designed to go right up to the line.”

Public attention to the incident had nothing to do with the decision to drop the charges, Cervera said.

Although police spokesman Adam Bernstein initially indicated that customer complaints prompted the officer’s action, he said Monday that he was unable to provide the number of complaints that police received. The officer, who works part time at Lynnhaven Mall in his police uniform to supplement the shopping center’s security, took spoken complaints and did not record them, Bernstein said.

That officer, identified by Bernstein only as Sgt. K. Reilly, had visited the store before Saturday and warned the manager to remove the images, leaving a copy of the city code and his business card. Bernstein said Reilly declined to comment further on the events.

Abercrombie & Fitch Co. officials pledged Monday to defend the company and Payne, who would face a fine of up to $2,000 and up to a year in jail if convicted on the charges. Thomas Lennox, a spokesman for the retailer, called the citation an “incredible overreaction by city officials” and said he knows of no other complaints nationwide about the promotion.

“These photos are tame,” said Lennox, based at the retailer’s headquarters in New Albany, Ohio.

Lynnhaven Mall officials said they received few, if any, comments about the Abercrombie & Fitch posters and had nothing to do with the Police Department’s action. “We had very little response from customers about this particular issue,” said John Westbrook, the mall’s general manager.

MacArthur Center officials said they have received no complaints about the posters in the downtown Norfolk store.

While shopping at Lynnhaven Mall on Monday, Terry Lewis said his daughter likes to visit Abercrombie & Fitch.

“I don’t think they should advertise like that because it’s the kind of message they send to the youth,” said Lewis, who lives in the Beach. “But they’re really selling sex.”

His friend, Itzel Vargas of Panama, said the Abercrombie & Fitch ads didn’t offend her.

“I don’t mind if they want to show naked guys because they show naked women everywhere,” said Vargas, pointing down the mall corridor to the Victoria’s Secret store. “What about the Victoria’s Secret commercials on television? That is much worse than the Abercrombie & Fitch ads.”

Nikki Hawickhorst, a senior at Kellam High School, said she considered the posters a bit risqué because of the partial nudity but that “there’s a lot of worse stuff out there.”

Abercrombie & Fitch has a penchant for raising eyebrows with its promotions. In 2003, it recalled its holiday catalog after a nationwide consumer backlash over sexually suggestive photos of scantily clad models.

“The Abercrombie & Fitch brand is provocative and undeniably sexy,” Lennox said, acknowledging some of the past reaction. “But this is ridiculous.”

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Nudity/Obscenity laws always made me laugh. How is something you were born with (a body) considered obscene?

Hell, why not ban mirrors in bathrooms to protect people from catching a glimpse of their own nude or partially clothed bodies.

Newsflash: Chicks have tits and cunts, guys have balls and cocks. They both have asses. This isn't a bad thing. It's called normal.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Nudity/Obscenity laws always made me laugh. How is something you were born with (a body) considered obscene?

Hell, why not ban mirrors in bathrooms to protect people from catching a glimpse of their own nude or partially clothed bodies.

Newsflash: Chicks have tits and cunts, guys have balls and cocks. They both have asses. This isn't a bad thing. It's called normal.
And this defense is why you have to tell people when you move in next door.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
And this defense is why you have to tell people when you move in next door.
:greyalien:

Oh, wait. I get it. Because I'm not offended and angered by nude or semi-nude photos of a person, I must fuck kids. Gotcha.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
my question is....why the hell did you post the picture of the guys? "whaa"

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
I'm surprised they were offended by the photos but all the cock sucking and ass fucking didn't bother them.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Oh, wait. I get it. Because I'm not offended and angered by nude or semi-nude photos of a person, I must fuck kids. Gotcha.
Because you said you're against nudity laws. I was making a flashing joke. No need to get pissy, especially when you protest pants.

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
What do you expect? That place has no swearing laws.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Because you said you're against nudity laws. I was making a flashing joke. No need to get pissy, especially when you protest pants.
Ah, ok. I didn't make the connection. :icon_redf

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'm surprised they didn't get a noise ordinance ticket too. Fuck that place and their music.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
my question is....why the hell did you post the picture of the guys? "whaa"

Because the news site only had the picture of the guys. I guess it's safe for them to post that because of the homo culture that's so prevalent but not the girl's tits. sucks.