OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five" Banned in Misery School Library

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

“All these people talk so eloquently about getting back to good old-fashioned values. Well, as an old poop I can remember back to when we had those old-fashioned values, and I say let’s get back to the good old-fashioned First Amendment of the good old-fashioned Constitution of the United States — and to hell with the censors! Give me knowledge or give me death!”
    -K.V.

2. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

So much for that whole separation of church and state thing...

3. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Not speaking to the censorship issue, but why is S5 not considered a science fiction novel? I mean, it's fucking aliens abducting a man, for fuck's sake.

There's this weird thing where books that are patently science fiction (Slaughterhouse Five, most of Crichton's stuff, etc.) are not considered science fiction for the sake of marketing, while books that are anything but science fiction (check out John Ringo's "Ghost"/"Kildar" series) are found there, just because the author usually writes science fiction, or that's how the author broke into the industry.

Yeah, I know, it's just a stupid OCD thing. It doesn't really matter. But it annoys me.

4. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

I'll ask the hot English teacher who boards her horse here what her school considers it as...

5. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Don't really understand the First Amendment, do you?

Slaughter House Five isn't usually considered science fiction since it deals with an historic event. I'd lump it in with science fiction too, but librarians are an odd sort.

6. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

It's 2011. Every piece of literature and art is available at the touch of a button. Does banning books really have any impact anymore? If anything it's just going to make people more interested in the books.

7. kloraferm

kloraferm Humor is reason gone mad

It just never fucking ends!

8. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love" deals with a historic event, too. Still firmly ensconced in science fiction.
    :icon_mrgr

9. DrewDown

DrewDown All are welcome

10. Party Rooster

You're right, I think it's a marketing issue. I think Crichton gets a pass because he was hardly exclusive to science fiction, and when he did he based a lot of the "fiction" on plausible future science and did a shit-ton of research on whatever he wrote about. State of Fear was a great book and I would love to have seen that made around the same time Gore's documentary hit the scene.

Them banning it for "crude language" and "adult themes" is what's laughable about it. What's scary is it seems like one guy pretty much got the ball rolling with this.

The thing these fucktards don't understand is it doesn't "teach" anything. It's a discussion point. And this guy would probably be just fine with "teaching" the kids that Noah saved all of God's creatures during the great floods.

11. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

I hate the Midwest so much.

12. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

Fixed :action-sm

13. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

That too.

14. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

Because sci-fi is just the vehicle used in the novel, not the point of the road traveled or final destination.

15. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Heinlein was primarily a science fiction writer though. Not so much for Vonnegut.

And Chriton's books are science-based fiction. He researches the shit out of the topics he does, so they're more fact on the science side of things. It's sort of like saying Michener was a history writer. He didn't do straight history, but fiction based on history.

As Falldog said, the science fiction was just a tool used to tell a non-linear story for Vonnegut.

16. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

17. Party Rooster

Fixed for sadness...:(

18. MrAbovePar

MrAbovePar En Taro Anthony

Science fiction is a vehicle for the story in EVERY science fiction book ever written.

You think Star Wars is about the technical details of the Millennium Falcon?

19. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Some science fiction IS about the details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction

20. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

Got news for ya, pal: your students are using worse language in the hallways.

21. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

And you think S5 is about a guy traveling through time?

22. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

This is one of the few things that makes me hate conservatives. No one gives a fuck if Jesus likes Kurt Vonnegut!

23. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I'd have to do a search on my Kindle, but I don't even remember the language being that bad. I'd be more worried about kids getting bad writing habits from it. Vonnegut does tend to meander about sometimes.

24. MrAbovePar

MrAbovePar En Taro Anthony

No, it's still not any less of a vehicle. It just uses real science and not fantasy science which most pulp sci-fi stories use.

There's only a few stories out there and they're just repackaged. You suggest a sci-fi story and I'll tell you what the story is about without mentioning sci-fi. Star Wars? Kid grows up and becomes a hero while confronting his evil father. Stargate-SG-1? A team of soldiers must defend their home against an attacker. Ender's Game? A kid must defend himself and his home from outsiders.

In the 1950s authors were writing stories akin to Apollo-13 and it was science fiction. Now it's drama.

25. OAarchive

OAarchive Banned

Exactly! Thanks to this thread I just added three more books to my reading list.

By the way does anyone want to buy me a Kindle? Maybe each person could throw in one dollar instead of just one of you guys buying it in full. Thanks!