Voter ID laws - Yea or Nay

Should you be required to show photo ID to vote?

• Yes

Votes: 46 93.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
What is the consensus around here. I know most of us lean right and the media tells us the right is pushing these laws, but I want to hear honest opinions about why this is a good idea or why it isn't.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Why shouldn't someone be required to prove who they are before they can vote? The only reason to not want voter ID laws is because you want to cheat. There is no other argument that makes a bit of sense.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
What is the consensus around here. I know most of us lean right and the media tells us the right is pushing these laws, but I want to hear honest opinions about why this is a good idea or why it isn't.
Yes, with the caveat that identification, if required by law, should be provided free to every person in that state, and it MUST be implemented impartially and completely fair.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
You haven't read anything by OAPC, then. He is all against them. Some of his points are very valid.
Are any of his arguments easily countered by "well, then you need to write the laws properly, not throw them in the garbage"? Because "this COULD lead to this or that" is not a good argument in my opinion. The benefits of a law like this are pretty obvious to me, but naturally I mean as long as the law is written and applied properly (like you yourself mention above), so saying "this could possibly be a bad law" is a moot point because I would be opposed to any law that is improperly written or applied regardless of topic. We don't need ANY shitty laws.

On the other hand, if he has valid arguments pertaining to specific laws because of their content, that's a whole other story. Just because I agree with the concept doesn't mean I agree with a half-assed version of that concept that is churned out by a bunch of retard politicians.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Yes, with the caveat that identification, if required by law, should be provided free to every person in that state, and it MUST be implemented impartially and completely fair.
That's also a good idea.

Hell, the purple finger dye is better than what we have now. When you have machines showing up at precincts with 2000 democrat votes on them before the polls even open, you have a problem.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
I'm all for requiring a valid state ID to vote. It keeps places like Florida from having machines showing up at precincts with 2000 republican votes on them before the polls even open.

Amirite, Don??

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
This is what I wrote in a thread about James O'Keefe:

Now while I understand that you start encroaching into dangerous territory when you start passing voting laws. The Democratic answer that Voter ID laws discriminate against the poor because they don't have driver's licenses is a flawed argument. Most states offer non-drivers IDs' which are very affordable.

Having said that, if voter fraud is such a huge problem like Republicans claim it to be, then states passing voter ID laws should also make make non-drivers' ID free of charge to the public. Not only offer them, but make people aware they exist through television and radio commercials.

Problem solved.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Voter ID laws are only as good as the people tasked with verifying them

How would you cross reference ID's? Are you expecting states to have their precincts wired and networked together? Who's gonna pay for all that?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'm all for requiring a valid state ID to vote. It keeps places like Florida from having machines showing up at precincts with 2000 republican votes on them before the polls even open.

Amirite, Don??
No, you're not. Not at all. Every liberal media outlet has had 11 years to prove any kind of Republican malfeasance in Florida, and not a single shred of evidence has ever been found. On the other hand, entire books have been written about the antics Gore's people were up to.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
I have always had to show an ID before voting. Whats to stop someone from going into a voting place and voting for me if they don't have to prove who they are?

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Voter id laws are only as good as the id itself. It's easy to get legit ids with fake info. Deal with that first then the laws will make sense.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005

How would you cross reference ID's? Are you expecting states to have their precincts wired and networked together? Who's gonna pay for all that?
Every time I have been to vote, I was told I could only voted in my assigned voting precinct, and that they tracked who had come in to vote already.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Voter id laws are only as good as the id itself. It's easy to get legit ids with fake info. Deal with that first then the laws will make sense.
That's a good point, but the cost involved to commit the amount of voter fraud needed would be prohibitive. Right now they can just take a van full of people around to 10 different polling places and all it costs is a bag lunch and $10 in gas.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Hasn't anyone ever watched Gangs of New York?

We all saw how voting happened in that.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
They're only $20 here.
Probably less if you meet low income requirements... that's how they do it here... and they last for like 5 or 8 years. I did the math in another thread about this subject and I believe in California you could get an ID for less than a buck a year.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
ID laws don't prevent clusterfucks. I lived through that Florida 2000 here and we had to show ID's. Right now FL charges 25.00 for a simple ID card and I agree if you are going to require it the cost should be free.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.089358,-81.831882

Most state's require that you have a state issued ID any way. You can be fined for not having proper ID.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas

That's easy, you can get a wireless credit card swiper at every voting station for a couple hundred buck each. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than the voting machines themselves.

I'm with everyone else. I'm all for it as long as it's free. Anything else would be considered a "voting tax" and would be horribly unconstitutional.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I'm with everyone else. I'm all for it as long as it's free. Anything else would be considered a "voting tax" and would be horribly unconstitutional.
Yup. If you're going to require some type of ID then that needs to be offered
for free to all registered voters. I'm not fond of the govt giving shit away
because that usually gets abused but voter ID is a different story.

Stig

Wackbag's All-Time Greatest Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Why the FUCK would you not have to prove who you are to vote? Do we want to encourage voter fraud?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Every time I have been to vote, I was told I could only voted in my assigned voting precinct, and that they tracked who had come in to vote already.
I know in California, and I'm pretty sure in Florida too, if you go to a polling place that's not assigned to you, they will provide you a special ballot that they can cross reference to make sure you only voted once later on. Whether they actually do try to verify is another story.

Why the FUCK would you not have to prove who you are to vote? Do we want to encourage voter fraud?
Because, the GOVERNMENT can track your movements if they give you ID Maaaaannnnnn. I'm totally off the grid, maaaaaannnn!